“Love this hotel!”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Charleston is such a fun place to visit, but staying at the Francis Marion made our stay even better. The location is fabulous, as it is centrally located downtown. There are endless restaurants and shopping within walking distance. The restaurant in the hotel (Swamp Fox) is great, too, and they give you a free bottle of wine! Our room was on the 11th floor, and we had a fabulous view of the river and the battery. The staff is super courteous, and the rates were great, too. We will definitely stay here again during our next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2010
There are newer reviews for Francis Marion Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2010

If you can deal with a small room and a VERY small bathroom, this hotel is a gem. The historical nature of the place explains the size problems, but the price offset our inconvenience. The service we received from the lobby and concierge was outstanding-- truly helped us find the food and sites we had traveled so far for, and helped us avoid tourist traps. The view overlooking Marion Square was wonderful, and the European decor gave us a 4-star feeling. The beds were the best quality we experienced on our ten day road trip. And having a Starbucks next to the lobby is pretty nice, too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My wife, 19-month old, and I stayed at The Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston, SC. We had a wonderful experience - the hotel is beautiful and very historic. The hotel staff was amazing. The hotel is in walking distance of numerous tourist attractions, shopping, restaurants and night life! The Francis Marion includes an excellent restaurant, The Swamp Fox, and also has a nice little gift shop and an entrance to Starbuck's! I will definitely consider staying here upon my next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2010

This was our first trip to Charleston and the Francis Marion hotel really helped make it a good one! It is in the perfect location and parking was very simple. We chose the "Charleston Getaway" package that was offered on their website, which included $50 vouchers per night of our stay. Those saved us a lot of money! The vouchers are treated like cash and can be used at really great restaurants close to the hotel or the spa! Virginia's on King had the best breakfast and Hall's Chophouse had the best dinner, in my opinion.

Anyways, when we went to check in we were told that our room would have a nice view and two bathrooms. That was exciting since I didn't choose the room with a view while booking. Our room did have an awesome view and it was big! The water pressure in the shower was decent. One of the toilets was in a very narrow space between two walls, which was kind of odd. Some edges of the carpeting didn't look like they had been installed properly but that wasn't an issue. We were told by a couple in the elevator that their room was very small so I would definitely ask for one of the bigger rooms when booking if that may bother you. Over all, the room wasn't 110% perfect but I was really happy with it.

Folly beach was very easy and fast to get to from our hotel, so I'm glad we decided to stay downtown and drive there during the day. Parking was only $1 per hour and it was not crowded at all! The weather was so hot that I wished our hotel had a pool but the ocean worked just fine.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I loved the location, and many good resturants near by- Virginias, Fish, and a Great sweet shop Cupcake. Would stay again!

Reviewed 23 July 2010

This hotel was a disappointment. Although the lobby was grand and inviting, the experience went downhill as soon as we stepped into the elevator. It was dirty and smudgy and just didn't make a good impression on our way to our room. Overall, the hotel wasn't filthy or really dirty...it just didn't have a well taken care of feeling.
When we arrived in our room, all I could think when I opened the door was "meh". It was bland, non-impressive and I really could have been staying in any hotel anywhere. The humming from the beautiful electrical park our room over looked was soothing and unobtrusive (sarcasm). The "art" on the walls was cheap looking black and whites that may or may not have been even taken in Charleston. Sad. In a city so beautiful, I would expect better inspiration. The only thing I can say positive about the room was the beds were very, very comfortable and the linens were soft and very clean. Also, the closet was large (perhaps even larger than the bathroom).
The bathroom (as others have also said) was TINY TINY TINY. I am talking pathetic. I am a 5'3, 115 lb. woman and I had a hard time turning around in it, let alone placing my stuff anywhere. Also, I was only staying the night so I didn't bring any of my own toiletries (expecting the FOUR star hotel to provide adequately). I regretted this decision. All they provide is a bar of soap, shampoo, and moisturizer (granted..it was Gilchrest and Soames). Most other FOUR star hotels provide everything ranging from bath salts to mouth wash...not to mention hair conditioner and shower caps, etc. Not here...so if your expecting to go light on the toiletry packing..think again.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. The location is great for shopping and the Starbucks attached is nice but it is easy to do better. I have stayed in nicer 3 stars in Charleston and the other 4 stars I have also stayed in have put this hotel to shame. If you are looking for a nicer "Charleston" experience I would recommend the French Quarter Inn or the Harborview. These hotels have just as much character (if not more) and provide a much better experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The Francis Marion exceeded our expectations. Greeted immediately with warm hospitality and many helpful suggestions for restaurants and shopping. The room was cozy and inviting. We will plan to stay at the Franicis Marion on future trips to Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple