“Juggling Southern Hospitality”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Durham, North Carolina, USA
“Juggling Southern Hospitality”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Wow...busy October weekend with 7 wedding groups. I couldn't have been more impressed with the staff's response to their constant line of travelers at the desk. We were using points and were told at check-in that they had upgraded our room. Fantastic to hear since it put us at the opposite end of the hotel from new construction next door avoiding noise and enjoying a porch with rocking chairs overlooking the docks. Note the this property is NOT walkable to downtown mostly due to lack of safe pedestrian access vs distance; however there is a daily shuttle every 30 minutes for $6/day per person. We found this to still be a bargain and used the shuttle, cabs and a bike taxi and never moved our car for three days and spent less than $40 in transportation. We never ate at the hotel. Would have been nice if the bar had opened earlier but beer/wine is available for purchase in hotel store. Lovely outdoor view with pretty sitting areas, outdoor furniture, rocking chairs.

Room Tip: Heavy construction activity was going on next door, so request a room away from that side of hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GenMgrJHMHotels, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Wow !!!! That is the exact phrase the staff uses when we have 7 wedding groups on one weekend !!! And they love it !!! Charleston has become one of the top wedding destinations in the country, and it is a rare weekend this time of year that the hotel would not have more than one wedding group. As you mentioned, our staff does do a great job responding to this challenge, and it is great to hear, that the service your received, exceeded your expectations.

Thanks, and we hope to have you back soon.

Bill Moore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My immediate reaction was one of disappointment -- mainly over the rooms which are really showing their age. Fitness room is small with a poor choice of equipment and breakfast is average at best. True -- there is a great harbor view and the staff is very friendly -- but I travel a lot and desire a bit more after a business day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Perfect cleanliness and excellent maintenance are standards that each guest should always expect at this hotel. Maintaining these standards in a hotel that is as busy as this one is is challenging, but is a challenge we always strive to meet. In your case, we fell short and for that I apologize.

I hope you will give us the chance to serve you again in the future. I am confident your stay will be a more pleasant one.

North Carolina
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our group of 18 just celebrated a 50-year reunion at the Courtyard Harborside. I coordinated the hotel arrangements and spent many hours on email and the telephone surveying the options in Charleston. The Courtyard Waterfront was a great choice, even considering the noise coming from construction of a new hotel next to the Courtyard and the fact that is a short distrance from central Charleston. The staff was Great to work with (Bailey Linderman, Mgr, and Eddie McBride, Concierge) as we first planned the visit, and then were in Charleston for 3 days. The weather held for us and we were able to make great use of the outdoor patio, pool and hot tub. This patio overlooks Charleston harbor and provides great views over a marina and open water. The Courtyard provides a shuttle service into the historic district for $6/day and this worked well.

Room Tip: We negotiated a very good rate compared to historic district alternatives.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GenMgrJHMHotels, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your great comments regarding your recent visit. It is great to here that you had such a terrific experience, I hope you will have the chance to visit us again soon.

Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I consider Courtyards to be a pretty reliable place to stay; however, not here. The views are very nice but we didn't get to enjoy it. I booked a water view room, but when we arrived we were told that we were downgraded to a room with no view. On top of that, I had called the day before we arrived to check on our reservation and was not informed of the downgrade. The rooms are terribly small as well. The hotel didn't offer us anything despite not having the room we booked available. The price of the hotel is also not worth it since it is not really in downtown Charleston and the rooms are so small. I would not go back here.

Stayed October 2013
GenMgrJHMHotels, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
I am very sorry that your experience at the Marriott Courtyard Waterfront did not meet your expectations. It is very rare that a situation would arise that results in the room type in a reservation being "downgraded". In the rare case this does occur it is important that this be communicated to the guest as soon as possible. In this case, we apparently fell short in that regard.

Once again, my apologies. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit. I am sure your experience will be a more pleasant one.

New York
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The best I can write is : the staff was very professional and courteous. I asked for a pot of coffee and got a complimentary one every morning. The breakfast was not good by any standard: the breads tasted like nothing, the croissants obviously frozen and thawed for the morning. You have to walk a mile and half to beautiful downtown or pay a 6 dollar fee for a bus pass that takes you to and from downtown. Considering that there was a very noisy construction going on next to the hotel that made it impossible to enjoy sleep and / or the view from the balcony after 7 AM or before 8:15 PM (! even on a Sunday)! this bus fee should have been waived. Overall, a disappointing experience for this price class.

Room Tip: A room away from the nearby construction, which will not be completed until sometime in 2014.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jamila027
GenMgrJHMHotels, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. The hotel does have a great staff, and am glad the friendly service you received met your expectations. I am sorry that some other parts of the hotel fell short. We are working very hard to improve quality and consistency in every area of the hotel, and feedback such as your's is a critical part of that effort.

Once again, thank you, and I hope the Courtyard Charleston Waterfront will have the chance to serve you again soon.

BIll Moore
Green Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Myself and my family do a girls trip every year .this was very special because we were celebrating 3 birthdays...the air was festive and we all were having a fantastic time up until we get a knock on the door @ 2:40 in the morning...we asked who is it and we got no reponse but the person continued to knock and tried to get into our room. I call the front desk and they said that the police were going floor by floor to find them apparently they knew of the intruders. I was like great the calvry has arrived.. But that was it....we happened to all be gathered in one room when this was going on so needless to say we were afraid to leave that room for fear of the intruders. After some time had elasped we braved the corriders walked in groups and everyone went into their own rooms. The next morning, after inquiring about the intruders, we learned that they had in fact been arrested and that the night manager had left a detailed account of the previous nights events. This was very upsetting to us 5 women traveling alone. So I expressed my concern to one of the owners ..His last name began with a "S". I told him that I didn't see any security and more important why didn't I get a call back from the front desk stating that the situation was under control and that the threat had been alleviated....well he fluffed me off telling me that the same thing could have happened anywhere "Even at my own home" I told him that I have measures in place for such an event and asked him does Marriott have security and do they patol? He said that they do have security but they are to blend in w/ guest but that they do Not patrol....Now I ask does that make any kind of sense to you? Shouldn't we be able to distinguish security from guests just in case there is an emergency?.I told him that our group travels all the time and that Marriott has always been the preferred hotel of choice and that I had always felt safe up until last night. His statement was matter of fact that we should be diligent of our surroundings at all times..Well thank you" MacGruff". So you take no responsibility for the saftey of your guests!! Then he states that he was at a disadvantage because he wasn't aware of the incident at all and that an arrest had been made. Well as an owner and the guests are your livelihood shouldn't you be aware of all police situations on your property? At over $300 a night I think you need to be aware about safety issues or at least pretend you care. I have been an elite member of Marriott for 20+ yrs .I don't write reviews so this is my first..Here is my advise for Ladies(especially) and gents if you want to feel safe and also feel that Mgmt is empathic than The Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront is Not the place for You! If you want to feel vulnerable, nervous, peeking over your shoulders than the "Waterfront "is the place for you! Pack your pepperspray and Taser next to your suntan lotion and Enjoy! One sidebar..The staff behind the front desk were awesome helpful and kind....Maybe someone needs to re-train the owner(gm)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lee w
Thank you for your detailed feedback and I am very sorry your experience at the Marriott Courtyard Waterfront was impacted by the incident you described. I assure you that there is nothing more important to us than the the safety and security of our guests. If you were given the impression by anyone at the hotel that security is not important, the message was certainly incorrect or communicated poorly. The hotel does have a number of security measures in place, including uniformed security on site, and security is taken very seriously.

Thank you again for your comments, and I hope this very rare incident does not prevent you for giving the hotel another try.

Philmont, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This hotel features a great waterfront view, with a very pleasant staff, that will attend to your every need. The view and the deck are this hotels features, with a small bar, just inside the door. They do offer breakfast, which is pricey, but there are local places, to get a great bite to eat. The hotel is on a one way street, so you have to plan if you want to go in the opposite direction. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GenMgrJHMHotels, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit to the area.