“Pretty hotel, BUT . . . .”

Courtyard Charleston Waterfront
Ranked #45 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Pretty hotel, BUT . . . .”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

1. AIr conditioner cycles on and groans and vibrates very loud - difficult to sleep. Maintenance came and fiddled around, but no change. Definitely not up to Marriott Courtyard standards I expect.

2. Air conditioner in hallyways and c ommon areas went out on day 2.

3. Mattress is very old and 'rolls to center'.

4. Mattress smells of urine.

Nice view of Ashlet River, but . . .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkThomasGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear ALH972 and Guest, thank you very much for taking time to report the problems with the AC units and the bed in your room. Please accept my sincere apologies. We work tirelessly to ensure a clean and well maintained property, with everything in good working order and you have aided in our efforts. Thank you again. Service technicians were called and repairs made to the AC units. All are now working properly. Please contact us directly with your room number so we can replace the mattress in your room. Thank you for staying with us and helping to improve our property. Without your valuable input, we may not have realized these issues. Thank you again and Travel Safe!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
atlanta
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Wonderful hotel, very nice room with a view of the harbor and all the sailboats. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but it was very nice. Service was great and the location was smack in the middle of the old town. Excellent choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaryAnn E
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear MaryAnn E,

Thank you for a wonderful review regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard Charleston. It is great to hear you loved your room with the beautiful river views and were satisfied with our facilities. With our location minutes away from downtown, and the hotel itself being right on the river, makes us the "hotel of choice" when in Charleston. Thank you again your complimentary comments and we do hope to welcome you back soon. Travel Safe.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice and the staff is very helpful and the young lady that helped me out really knew the area. I have to also state that I had a great room with a very nice view. The only downside for me was that they don't have a Bistro like most other Courtyard Marriott properties. When I'm traveling, I prefer to eat in most days, so please add this and I will be back.

Thanks...

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BigRobJ200
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Robert J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at Courtyard Charleston. We appreciate your feedback regarding the "Bistro" and we are in the process of putting this in place. Being that we are in the Charleston area, lots of our guests are looking for the dine in options and the Bistro idea will definitely suit us and will be a great addition to our full-service restautant. We are in the process of looking into this and will certainly look forward to welcoming you back when this project is complete. Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard Charleston for your stay and sharing your suggestions with us.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Check-in process was a bit disturbing. First of all the entire lobby was extremely hot. They blamed the AC not working but I saw no one on site doing any repairs. When we went to our room for the first time we encountered someone caulking the bathroom. We had to move to another room as it needed to dry at least 24 hours. When we returned to the front desk it appeared to be an inconvenience for the staff. They were not very friendly. The room could have been better kept. It appears throughout this hotel needs a renovation. The water pressure in the shower was not very powerful. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Philip L
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Phillupi,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Charleston and for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is certainly disappointing to hear about your experience as we truly take pride in our guest service efforts. I have shared your concerns with my management team and we have taken corrective action to assure it does not happen again. We do hope you give us another chance to welcome you back to experience our hotel the way it should have been on this visit. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am a national seminar presenter and was staying there to do a seminar, unfortunately my baggage did not make in time due to a missed flight. Long story short, they, at no charge to me, suppled me with a computer and projector and tons of kindness and compassion to complete the seminar. On top of this, they even went to the airport to pick up my bags while I was performing the seminar. I stay in many many hotels across the nation this was the best one I have ever stayed out. I want to particularly thank Bailey in sales for letting borrow her personal computer and being so nice and kind to me. You guys have truly world class customer service, a great hotel with a awesome view of the marina.

Michael Blubaugh
Kansas City
Summit Education

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Sportstherapyguru, thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Courtyard Charleston during your recent stay. We take great pride in delivering excellent service, and comments like yours has validated our efforts.Please be assured I will pass on your comments and recognize Bailey at our next staff meeting. We do hope to welcome you back soon. Travel Safe.

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was sent to Charleston on short notice and researched hotels online the day before departing. I chose this hotel based on the online photos, which showed a more contemporary decor than other hotels in Charleston offer. Upon arrival, my first impression was that the building condition is a bit rusty and the interior felt stale -- which isn't abnormal for coastal SC lodging, though I was expecting a better first impression from a Marriott chain hotel.

Check-in was fine and the clerk was courteous. I prefer to take stairs when possible, but didn't see any. I took the elevator to get upstairs, which was a bit clunky and slow. The room seemed *much* smaller than I was expecting and for sure smaller than the online photos suggested. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. There was an iron in the room, which was all I really needed to get ready for work the next day. The fridge and microwave was helpful. The in-room coffee didn't taste good, and while I appreciated having ceramic mugs instead of disposable ones, they had dirt/sand residue on them.

I was only staying one night, and short one at that. So a luxury hotel was not necessary for such a short trip. I wasn't even down there long enough to explore the city. Though when I mentioned to my colleagues in the office where I'm staying, the overall feedback I got was that it would have been better to stay elsewhere, preferably in or closer to the historic district. I agree that the location wasn't as ideal.

Although the experience was not bad by any means, I was not wowed, either.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nunnowski
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Nunnowski,thank you for taking the time to write regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay. I truly appreciate your feedback and do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back soon to the Courtyard Charleston. Travel Safe.

General Manager.
Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2014

we loved the room. it was bigger then i thought, the beds were very comfy. the room had a fridge and microwave so being able to eat left overs of the delicious area food was nice. there was good free coffee in the lobby, the area around the pool was very nice and thre was cornhole to play. they also had free board games to play. the wifi was fast and free. the balcony on our room was a little small but had a nice view of the marina. the location is easy accessible to downtown charlestown and there were nice sidewalks/trails to run on.

the staff was very nice and gave very good suggestions on were to eat.

my 3 complaints:
1. the bathroom needs more hooks, to hang bathing suits and towels
2. i had to go the desk twice to get the down pillows changed out.
3. the fresh towel rack is in the shower. who's idea was this? if you shower with the towels on the rack they get wet and there is no hooks to hang them on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bewhy74
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear bewhy74, thank you for your recent review and stay here at the Courtyard Charleston. As you mentioned, our location is unique because it is just minutes away from downtown Charleston where there are so many restaurant and shopping choices. In addition, our "southern charmed" location on the river with beautiful sunset views, adds to the Charleston experience where so many have come to enjoy. I have made a note of the complaints that you have and will try to do the best I can. We hope to see you back again soon. Travel Safe.