2,555 results
All reviewsdouble treegreat locationhistoric districtfront deskvalet parkingwithin walking distancecity markettwo storywet barcookiestwo room suitevalet staffliving areawould stay here againfitness centercarriage rideper day
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I sometimes feel, when reading reviews on Tripadvisor, that people are only happy in brand-spanking new hotels.

Well, we like more mature and more comfortable and the Doubletree typifies that. On top of comfort, every single member of staff we encountered were unfailingly friendly and helpful. And a location that can't be beaten.

We had a "junior suite" with the beds and bathroom "upstairs" which meant a good-sized living room with sink, fridge and microwave "downstairs". For some reason the bathrooms are tiny. Squeezed in, almost as an afterthought. Also, no safe. I do expect to see a safe in a good hotel room these days. Another minor criticism is that there were two rather old TVs on which several of the channels were mis-tuned. There was no channel guide and neither was one available from reception.

Breakfast buffet was good - especially as we got free coupons for this, as Hhonors Gold, in lieu of a room upgrade, presumably. Staff here were really great!

Turn-down service is also provided.

Special mention to one of the reception staff who went out of her way to find an emergency dentist for us. Thank you Gabby!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were thrilled to see you enjoyed your visit with us at our Doubletree Hotel located on the old city market and in the most historic location in Charleston. We were especially pleased to see you named on of our associates, Gabby and that she was able to assist you with your special request. We look forward to your return visit with us very soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2010

My sister and I went to Charleston for one night as a birthday trip. I had prepaid for the room. We were done with our visit to Magnolia Plantation early so I called the hotel to see if we could check in early (around 2:00pm) and was pleased to hear that the room was ready. I was even happier to discover that our room was very spacious and had a view of The Market. I cannot say enough about the location. It is perfect! We were right in the middle of everything and in walking distance to all the great things to do (The Market, Waterfront Park, the Battery, King Street, the Farmer's Market).

I agree with some of the other reviewers who mentioned that the hotel decor needs updating and probably a more thorough cleaning than the housekeepers have time to. The beds were wonderful, especially after a long day out and about. The only issue I had was with the front desk (?). We decided to order room service for a late dinner. It was disappointing to see that the menu was fairly limited since it was provided by Hank's Seafood. I had asked the hotel representative if the sweet potato fries were seasoned with cinnamon because I would prefer to have them just salted. The rep told me that I would season the fries myself, which was incorrect. The fries were a disappointment. The morning we were checking out, I had called the front desk to have the car brought around and they were going to take care of it. Apparently there was a break down because the car wasn't there when we arrive about 15+ minutes later and the valet people acted like they just heard the request for the car.

I would stay again but am open to other places since there are many hotels in the area in the same price range.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We agree we have the best location in Charleston and were thrilled to hear you enjoyed our hotel, and, that you were able to get into your room earlier than our 4 PM arrival guarantee. We were glad you enjoyed the selections made from Hank's Seafood Restaurant-the best seafood restaurant in the south and in Charleston. We look forward to your return visit to Charleston and our wonderful city market location.

Assistant General Manager/Director of Marketing

Reviewed 29 April 2010

Stayed 1 night at the Doubletree in Charleston with my wife and 2 kids (10 and 7). The room was large, clean and smack dab in the middle of everything we wanted to do on our 1 day tour. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, Fort Sumter ferry & Horse and buggy tours (which we all enjoyed and would highly recommend). The staff was helpful and pleasant. We had breakfast at the onsite restaurant which was convenient, but over priced and uninspired. We would skip the breakfast, but stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2010

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your visit to our Doubletree Charleston Hotel located on the old city market and near the Battery. We were pleased to hear you enjoyed our large spacious suites. Being one of the newest hotels (in the oldest section) of the city has it's planned advantages such as large suites easily able to accomodate families and to give you the space you desire. Of course, our location on the market and adjacent to many of the best restaurants in the city, is also what makes any visit to our hotel great and why so many brides choose us for their Charleston Wedding. We look forward to your return visit with us soon!

Best,

Reviewed 19 April 2010

We recently planned a trip to Charleston that included a 3 night stay at the Doubletree. Traveling with my husband and 8 month old baby, we wanted to stay somewhere with close proximity to the historic district so going back to the room for extra diapers or nap time would be easy. I called the hotel 2 weeks prior to our arrival to leave a note on our reservation requesting a quiet room with not much street noise since we were traveling with an infant.

Upon arrival, we were placed in the 2nd floor corner room facing Market St. The first night, a Thursday, was fine. There wasn't much noise outside, probably because it was a weekday and there were rain storms that night. The next evening, Friday, the bar next door started their loud music around 9PM. This persisted until 3AM. Our bedroom and bathroom wall faced directly and were within feet of the upper level of this bar. I called the front desk to tell them that while we requested a quiet room, I believe we had been placed in the noisiest room in the hotel. The staff member did not apologize or offer to move us to another room but just said he would make a note of it for his manager. After not getting to sleep until close to 4AM, we decided that we would be checking out a day early. I lived in the dorm rooms in college, but never experienced loud noise like this, even on party nights.

At checkout, we told the front desk worker of our experience and disappointment in their inability to honor a request for a quieter room. He apologized and offered us free valet parking and a free carriage ride. While a nice offer, my husband explained that uprooting an infant and needing to find alternate accommodations was a hassle and could have been avoided. We did not get what we paid for - a room to have a restful night's sleep. They first offered to take $150 off the room but eventually did the right thing and refunded us the full $300 + tax fee.

This was the worst night I've ever had in a hotel, however, I will give the Doubletree some credit for acknowledging their error and compensating us appropriately.

Otherwise, the hotel itself is OK but not upscale. Location is good. Our suite did not have flat screen TVs as the manager's response has indicated in other reviews - we had the round screen, pre-digital TVs. They also make you pay an extra $10/day for wireless internet. In 2010, most hotels offer free wireless access, particularly those whose rates are $250+, so I found this surprising.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I certainly apologize for the street level noise you experienced while here at our hotel. Spring in Charleston is a festive time, and, while we are blessed with the best location in all of Charleston, on RARE occasion, our spirited neighboring businesses forget their fun may encroach on others quiet enjoyment. Charleston is an alive-vibrant city, and, especially in the downtown area. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the comforts we are known for in one of our beautiful two bedroom suites. Thank you again for your comments and for your business.

Reviewed 17 April 2010

This was one of the most pleasuable stays we have at any hotel in a tourist area. Tom Loeber help make our stay very enjoyable and of course Charleston is a great place.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
bktinsc, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel, and, in particular, the mention of our Staff Member, Tom Loeber. We are thrilled you enjoyed Charleston, and, you found the best hotel located in the best spot-on the old city market-our Doubletree offering some of the largest suites in the city. We look forward to your return to Charleston and in your return visit to our Doubletree on the market.