DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 2 July 2010

My husband and I traveled to Charleston to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. We stayed at the Doubletree Hotel, and it was absolutely fantastic! I will absolutely stay there again, and I highly recommend it to visitors of Charleston. Every employee was extremely courteous and helpful. The hotel is centrally located and is right in the middle of everything. The market is literally across the street. The hotel is beautiful! They even have a ticket office for Carolina Polo and Carriage Co. in their hotel. Bryan went above and beyond his duties as manager of the hotel to make certain that we were happy and comfortable during our stay. He even arranged for us to be picked up at the front doorstep of the hotel for a private carriage tour! This was the best vacation we've had in years!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2010

Thank you very much for your review of our Doubletree Guest Suites Historic Charleston, and, our entire team is pleased and honored to have been a part of your fiftieth wedding celebration. I know we made reservations for you at the amazing Peninsula Grill restaurant while you were here and we wish to say thank you for personally sharing your amazing experience there with us. Our guests enjoy being able to have carriage pickup outside our door where we are located on the Historic City Market . Carolina Polo Carriage Company does a terrific job as you indicated and we are pleased you enjoyed your city tour by their carriage and tour drivers.

Congratulations on fifty years-we look very much forward to hosting you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 2 July 2010

Loved the hotel, it's central location, spacious rooms (except bathroom - my god it was small you had to enter in the position to use or step into bathtub). Front desk staff were uniformly helpful and knowing on places to dine that were good and places to avoid.
One issue and significant is that the WiFi is real spotty and constantly drops connections.
Front desk disclaims ANY responsibility and refers complaints to provider. Well, my opinion is that if you offer and charge for a service then you (the hotel) has more responsibility for problems w/ it than to brush off issues w/ "not my job" Yes it is, just as any service connected to your hotel is YOURS! Good or bad.

Over all I would still return, but I would like this WiFi issue to be "owned" by mgt and staff in a more professional.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel, and, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! I am checking in with our vendor to find out what issues may have caused you not to be able to remain online once connected. This is unusual as if we have an issue, generally it is resolved within minutes through our provider. We look very much forward to your return visit to our Doubletree Guest Suites on the Market very soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the last 2 nights of June 2010. I was traveling with my wife and 2 sons. We had a great trip. The hotel is in an unbelievable location. You can see the market and all carriage rides from the hotel. There are countless restaurants and shops within easy walking distance not to mention all of the beautiful homes and historic buildings to be seen.

The hotel itself was very nice. We enjoyed the bed and breakfast deal. Also, one of my sons left a Sony Play Station on a table in front of the elevator. A housekeeper found it and realized who it belonged to and let us know she found it. We would have never missed it until we got home. The statf as a whole was very friendly.

There is a cost associated with valet parking but due to the limited parking in the area it was unavoidable. It would have been nice if internet access was free in room but that would have been my only complaint.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2010

Thank you for your impressive review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed our location on the historic city market, our wonderful suites and our services. I was also pleased to read your left item was quickly retrieved and returned to your child. We look forward to your return visit to our Doubletree Charleston and this unbeatable location on the famous historic city market.

Our very best,

Reviewed 28 June 2010

I had to come to Charleston for a conference and brought my wife along to enjoy the sites as well - perfect location and she enjoyed the market. Beautiful hotel, but extremely disappointed that such a high end hotel charges you for internet service. We spent part of our time at a Holiday Inn (beautiful as well, but only left there because conference was being held at this Doubletree). Wishing now we would have stayed at the Holiday Inn and just commuted to the conference. Disappointed that for the price we pay, there is no breakfast included nor free internet. After all I am here on business and need to be on my computer at night to catch up at the office, so there was no getting around the fact that I had to pay for the internet. You would think such a high end chain would provide such a thing. Other than that, friendly staff and nice rooms. Afraid I'd have to say "no" to recommending to a friend just for the added expenses of fee for interent and fee for breakfast, we will be sticking with our usual Wyndham & Holiday Inn chains.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel, our services and, more importantly, our location. We do offer complimentary iternet in our Coutyard area and in our lobby. Unfortunately, and due to cost of providing the service, there is a minimal charge should one choose to access from the guest room. Additionally, we do offer a bed and breakfast package generally available throughout he year which was available online for the timeframe you booked. It appears you made your reservation in an assigned room block, contracted with your group leader and breakfast and internet was not part of that agreement. We do hope you will choose to stay with us upon your return to Charleston as our large suites and location certainly outweigh any other minor costs.

Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed here for three nights in June on our way to a baseball tournament in Myrtle Beach. The location is great for exploring old Charleston, the staff is really accomodating and the rooms are comfortable. It is a very beautiful hotel. The only negative we can come up with is- no swimming pool (tough for a 14 year old when it's 95-98 degrees every day).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Thank you for your review of our Doubletree and in letting others know of our fantastic location on the Historic City Market and our proximity to many other must see spots in Charleston (the South Carolina Aquarium, Hippodrome (great 3-d movies for children) and the Childrens Museum as a few. We are very pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return with us very soon.

Assistant General Manager/Director of Marketing

Reviewed 18 June 2010

I attended a conference the first week in June at this Doubletree Suites. I am in the medical field and live in South Carolina and visit Charleston at least once a year and are very familiar with. This was my first stay here, and I was taking my husband and daughter along, so I wanted to see the amenities. After reading the reviews on another site, I was quite leary of staying here but it was great. The 2 double beds were in a room to itself and had a door so I was able to get ready in the mornings without disturbing my family. The suite had 2 TV's a couch, desk, and a small sink and refrigerator. very nicely decorated and clean. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The food catered to the conference was good. Location is awesome. You walk out of the hotel and within a few steps to your right you are at the infamous Charleston Market. Also within walking distance are a multitude of unique restaurants, shops, The Battery, King Street shopping and even the Aquarium. I am looking forward to attending this conference again next year.
Cons: *No Pool *Slow Elevators * Have to valet park or park in city parking garage.
*WiFi free only in lobby area but could purchase Wifi for a week for $15.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank grwrn
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at our Doubletree Historic District on the famous Charleston City Market. We were pleased to learn you enjoyed the meeting, food and service as well. Our hotel is absolutely perfect for people traveling here for business meetings (we host over 200 meetings per year in our two ballrooms with over 10,000 square feet of flexible meeting space) and to be able to relax in one of our large suites, is a perfect ending to any meeting day. At breaks, our attendees often pop out to the market literally just a few feet away from our front door to shop for many of the local items available there.

We look forward to your return visit to our Doubletree Charleston Hotel-Historic District very soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

We are very loyal Hilton hotel people, so we knew we would be staying either here or the Embassy Suites (former Citadel).

Easy check in
All suite rooms, very nice for couples, and with children
Location is PERFECT, for all restaurants, shopping, The Market, carriage rides, port, etc...
Service was great!
No real hotel bar area, or place to hang out at the actual hotel
NO pool, which was ok for us on this trip, but would be nice if we had down time to relax. If you have kids, and need a pool to entertain then, I would go little farther out and stay at the Embassy Suites

Overall GREAT hotel, Perfect location, Great staff

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
bktinsc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2010

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. As your note indicates, we are located in the prime and best location of Charleston-the old City Market where people have gathered for centuries. Having a wedding in the Charleston Ballroom at Doubletree is an event any bride and family will remember forever-first class, and, with a sense of history that only this place can truly provide. Being able to tour the city by horse and carriage while being picked up at our front door is a lasting impression for many as well. Oooh, and our suites are among the largest in Charleston, so you will enjoy plenty of room.

Thank you for your review and we look very much forward to your return to Doubletree Guest Suites-Charleston Historic District.