“Not bad”

Ranked #34 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Streetsboro, Ohio
“Not bad”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This wasn't a bad place to stay. It's not far from downtown Charleston, there's a lot of parking, the staff is nice. Checking in and out was very easy. The pool is a little kidney pool outside, there is a tiny "fitness center" with like two treadmills, the business center is basically one PC in a closet. The breakfast was a bit better than continental; I enjoyed it. Everything was clean, but the beds were pretty uncomfortable. The mattress was too hard and the pillows were way too soft! My head sank through two of them into the mattress in about 30 seconds.

Overall, this wasn't a bad experience, but I would stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leah W
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that the staff were friendly, our clean rooms and our breakfast. I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a good night sleep on the mattress or the pillows. Our mattresses and pillows were all purchased last year, so I do apologized that you didn't enjoy them. I am hoping you will give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Holiday Inn Express on Savannah Highway was one of the best hotel experiences we have had since our honeymoon. We selected the hotel based on the great price, but were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel exceeded our expectations. The rooms were large and clean, the breakfast was delicious, we had a newspaper every morning, and it was within a few minutes drive from the Bay Street area of Charleston. When we come back to the area we are staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric E
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us while you were visiting Charleston. I can't thank you enough for the wonderful compliment about us being one of the best experiences since your honeymoon. We are so pleased that you had a enjoyable time seeing downtown Charleston. We are so happy to hear that you will stay with us in the future. Thank you so much for the amazing comments about your recent stay.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here when I came down for my job interview, and because the staff was so friendly and accommodating, I decided to stay here when I came to house hunt as well. Everyone from the moment I checked in to the moment I left was amazing. Most importantly, in all the chaos, I left my wallet in the hotel room and didn't realize until I was three hours away. I called, and Cheryl found my wallet, and shipped it back to my house. In just three days I had my wallet back with my ID, Credit cards and cash all intact. It's so nice to know that everyone there has a great personality and integrity!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank amandae790
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Congratulations on moving to Charleston!! Thank you for the wonderful comments about your recent stay. Thank you for recognizing our employees, especially Cheryl. Our staff, is fully committed to make each of our guest have a memorable and enjoyable stay. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Uniontown, Ohio
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here on March 11, 2014. The service and treatment, we received, from Cheryl and other staff members was excellent.

My wife talked with Cheryl by phone the day before when we were looking for a place to stay in Charleston where we could stay with out having to drive but still get a tour of Charleston. She took care of everything getting us on a very nice tour and allowing us a late check out.

When you are looking for a place to stay in or around Charleston and want to get treated great, talk to Cheryl.

Room Tip: Room that we stayed in was on the north side and was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave W
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you recognizing our staff especially Cheryl. Our staff ensures that our guest have a enjoyable and memorable time while visiting Charleston. We are so pleased that you had a great experience on the tour of Charleston. We hope you have an opportunity to visit Charleston again. Thank you for your wonderful comments.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Had a long weekend stay here while looking at the beautiful city of Charleston. Loved the location its not right downtown but close enough to get anywhere I wanted to see without hastle or paying the higher downtown rates. The rooms were nice and the staff went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. Will absolutely stay here again and highly recommend staying here to anyone looking.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank rkholer
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are so happy that you had a memorable stay while you were visiting Charleston. We are so excited that you will stay with us again when you are back in town. We truly appreciate your wonderful comments about your recent stay.
Connecticut
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here on March 1, 2 and 3 2014 and posted a review when we returned home a few days later. I know the review was posted because I received a response from the 'manager' but it has mysteriously disappears. Maybe Tripadvisor allows an establishment to remove unfavorable reviews - hope that is not the case but I will repost to share my horror story.

In most ways the HIE Charleston is unremarkable - reasonably clean, average breakfast, etc. Unfortunately this hotel seems to attract a clientele that is shipping out the next day on a cruise and is more interested in party than sleep. I stay at a hotel to get a good night sleep and that is not what we got on the first two nights of our stay. Between 1 and 2 in the morning, we were woken by slamming doors, running up and down the hallways and loud voices. Both nights we resorted to calling the front desk and it settled down shortly after but by then we were wide awake. On the third night we were informed that there would be no one staying prior to a cruise to it should be better. Well if you know that this is the intent of some of your guests, you should take the appropriate actions to control their actions when they party in the pool and then return to their rooms in the early hours of the morning.

We have stayed at this hotel and others in the area on prior occasions and have never had this problem but will not return to this hotel again. If the intent of Tripadvisor is to allow customers to provide honest review to "really help other travelers" please do not remove this review.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, be sure to ask for a room on the front of the hotel as the pool is in the rea...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelingGolf
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I am very sorry for your experience those nights. We normally do not attract a "young" crowd, as we are a family and business oriented hotel, and as such, have not had this happen before. As you mentioned, the front desk did properly respond to the problem when you called to alert them. The front desk agent called the room, and then went up to the room itself, to let the noisy guests know that their behavior was unacceptable. We did not know in advance that these guests were going on a cruise, or that they would behave in such a manner. Again, we are truly sorry that you were disturbed, as our goal is to provide a comfortable, peaceful experience to our guests. I did email you privately concerning this, but got no response from you. You are very welcome to call and speak with me personally, or to email me. We hope that you will try us again in the future.
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

It was a great experience. The location was in very reasonable proximity to the medical center as well as historic Charleston. The view from the room was refreshing. The hotel staff were very nice and helpful. They recommended some restaurants for us but I would stick to tripadvisor. There is a very convenient business center in the lobby with almost all the urgent office needs (fax/print/internet etc). Although, it could be in a better location. The rooms were very clean, well furnished and spacious. the bathrooms are very clean. They had complimentary continental breakfast, which was decent. Overall it was definitely a positive experience at an excellent location for a very reasonable price, especially in Charleston.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LB-Was-Here
KellyFassett, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
We are so pleased that you had a "great experience" while you stayed with us. Thank you for you wonderful comments about our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed breakfast and that you especially like the view from your room. We hope you have another opportunity to visit Charleston again. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.