“Sleepless in Charleston”

Andrew Pinckney Inn
Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I was visiting my mother in NC and wanted to take her away for a night and thought this inn would be perfect. However, we did not get to stay in the part that is pictured on the website. From first appearances the room looked cozy, however, as the night wore on it became increasingly difficult to sleep. Our room was above the side street which is also above the back of a nearby restaurant. I had to listen to all the workers who were outside talking during their breaks and the sound of garbage and bottles being thrown out until late in the night. It was disappointing, but at least my mom slept through it and enjoyed the breakfast on the rooftop. Make sure you check where your room is going to be located before you get settled in for the night.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank 2visitorsfromNC
Write a ReviewReviews (1,648)

Reviewed 21 September 2008

The best way to describe our hotel experience is "Very Average". The hotel is beautiful from the outside and nice and quaint on the inside. We stayed in a Queen value room.

The overall apathy of the staff was what bothered me the most. Why bother asking if the reason for your stay is a special celebration if you will never mention it when you check in, or take any special measures to ensure you are enjoying your stay.

We were moved to a different room after the first night due to the proximity of the elevator as the old wooden floors carried a lot of noise. At the time when I was asking to be moved I was told that the quietness depends on your sensitivty level. My sensitivity level is rather high when I am on my ten year anniversary trip, and I'm awake all night due to foot traffic outside my door.

The continental breakfast is billed as "elegant" and it is not. The rooftop terrace is very nice, but the choice of foods is "Best Westernish". Somebody else mentioned a funky taste to the juices, and I wholeheartedly agree. I ended up drinking water each morning to avoid the horror show in the juice department.

Overall the positives are outweighed by the negatives. The price was good, and the location is great. the building is nice but not great. But everything else from the dirty elevator, the lame breakfast, the lack of enthusiasm from the staff make it average at best.

If you are only looking for a place to lay your head and are a heavy sleeper, this is a fine place. But if you are looking to be wowed by service, then go elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fattymcbutterpants19
Reviewed 9 September 2008

Stayed at the Andrew Pinkney last night - it was a big disappointment. As a previous poster has mentioned; the pretty building that is shown on the web site is mainly for checkins and the suites/townhouse rooms. Everyone else across the street in the cement box.

Our room was in major need of a sprucing up - marks on the walls, a hook for hanging up your clothes, etc. The hallways were also in need of overhaul.

We have stayed in the French Quarter Inn which is owned by the same parent company on numerous occasions and it is well worth the extra price that you pay for that property. Decided this time to try one of their other properties and it was a mistake. Will be going back to staying at the French Quarter Inn.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cameron1804
AndrewPinckneyInn, General Manager at Andrew Pinckney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2008

The Andrew Pinckney Inn is located in the Charleston's Historic District which greatly restricts how the exterior of its buildings are altered including paint or lack of paint. The building coined the "cement box" by this reviewer is one of those buildings that is restricted from being painted due to its original exterior built in the 1830's. There are several such buildings located in Charleston's historic district.

It is unfortunate that any hotel is limited to the touchup of small scuff marks in a guest room or hallway wall between the check in and check out of its guests. It is the sincere goal of the Andrew Pinckney Inn maintenance staff that no guest will encounter any such marks or any other damage due to previous guest.

The author of this review did not contact the front desk staff or express any displeasure in a timely manner in order to provide the hotel staff the opportunity to address or resolve any issues they encountered before check out.

The Andrew Pinckney Inn strives to exceed our guest's expectations but if we would fail to do so the staff and management should be afforded the opportunity to make you happy before checkout by resolving any concerns.

Andrew Pinckney Inn

Reviewed 9 September 2008

My wife and I recently got married on a beach in Charleston. It was a great experience, and the Andrew Pinckney Inn was a great aspect of our trip.

The location was absolutly perfect for us. We enjoy the shopping in the historic downtown just like everyone else, but we liked the restaurants and night life more than anything. This inn offered a central location for it all.

The staff was very friendly, and they kept our room very clean.

The room was very large and comfortable. It could have had a bigger TV, but i suppose we weren't there to watch TV. Andrew Pinckney also offers free WIFI in every room. That was a great help. We were able to access online maps and reviews so we could enjoy the best that Charleston has to offer.

Anyone that has been to historic downtown knows about parking. Andrew Pinckney shares a parking garage with the nearby bank. We were able to get parking vouchers whenever we wanted.

I would stay there again, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wongfeihung1976
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here about a year ago. We got a great deal for a last minute weekend getaway before we moved across country. This Inn is so charming and the staff were friendly. Everything was extremely clean. Our room was a bit small but not too bad, what else do you need besides a bed and bathroom while in Charleston? We were out exploring and enjoying the beach the whole time! It was very convienant to just step outside and be right in the middle of everything but still have the quietness of the side street! Whenever we make our way back to Charleston, I would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2008

This is a perfect place to stay if you are looking to be right in the heart of the historic area of Downtown Charleston. The staff is very helpful and made sure that I had everything that I needed during my stay. The price for parking is the best that I have heard of for the downtown district and I loved that I can walk to the fantastic restaurants that Charleston has to offer. There was even a very detailed book in the lobby that was very useful in helping me decide where I'd like to go and I could pick my entire meal out before I even got there! The room was absolutely beautiful and I really enjoyed the special bath amenities that are in the room. The breakfast was great and I absolutely loved the view from the rooftop terrace where it is served. If you want a place with a beautiful scenery, great location, and an amazing staff, this is definitely the place to be!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the API, but the room was rather small. We did chose the economy option when we booked, but I did not expect the room to be too small to have a deck or bureau!!

On the good side, the location could not have been better and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business