“Great location/service”

Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Boston
“Great location/service”
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Perfect location beside harbor and one block from delicious restaurants. We requested and received a harbor view room. Woke to beautiful sunrises. Noted we were celebrating anniversary on our reservation and were greeted with a complimentary bottle of champagne in our room upon arrival. Nice treats (wine and cheese, cookies and milk, candy in the lobby). Simple but adequate breakfast included in the room rate. Only issues were a little mold in the bathroom and the elevator was out of order (though we were notified in advance). Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CMZBoston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Saint Matthews, SC
Reviewed 9 October 2007

My wife and I went to Charleston to attend a friends Sunday evening wedding. We decided to make a weekend of it. We stayed Saturday and Sunday night. We paid $400 for Saturday night and $200 for Sunday. For this kind of money I would have expected more.

We arrived around 2 PM on Saturday. Our room was not ready, but we were told to leave our car with the valet (extra $15 per day)
and he would see to it as well as our bags. We left to have a late lunch and a little shopping. At 4 PM, I returned to "unpack".

My car was still sitting on the street where I had left it 2 hour before with my bags still inside. It turns out the elevator was not working and they did not have enough staff to keep up with all the people checking in and out. After I complained several hours later, my car was finally moved from the street.

I unloaded my luggage and carried it up the two flights of stairs.
I entered my room that looked out on a back alley filled with electric lines and the rear of other nearby businesses.

The bathroom was very ordinary. I stand about 6'2" and the shower head was lined up with my chin. The rings that supported the shower curtain were "worn out" and would not stay closed. This meant the shower curtain was sagging.
The bathroom did not have a vent fan so a hot shower resulted in a steam bath over the entire bathroom leaving a moist coating on all surfaces.

The breakfast was nothing to get excited about. The muffins were the same generic thing you get at a cheap hotel. When something ran out, they were slow to replace it (if it was replaced at all).

It was almost 4:30 Sunday afternoon before my room was cleaned.

Again, Monday at checkout time, the staff was "busy" and I had to haul my bags down the stairs. They did bring my car around and load my bags from the curb into the vehicle.

If I had been paying $50 a night at a motel, I would have expected all of these items. However, a room that is costing me an average of $350 a night should be better. I can't see a return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sc_freq_traveler
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2007

We came here for our honeymoon and what a wonderful decision it was! The rooms are beautiful, The view from both of our balconies overlooked the ocean. The in room breakfasts were delicious. It was within walking distance to all the attractions . I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed October 2004, travelled as a couple
3 Thank T-TownFL
georgia
Reviewed 30 September 2007

My husband and I just returned home a few days ago from visiting Charleston SC and a stay at Harbourview Inn. I selected it from the hotel website as well as by reading tripadvisor reviews. I was a little hesitant due to it seemed a little "pricey " although we usually do stay in upscale hotels when possible . It was a great choice!!!!!! We could not have been more pleased . The room was emaculate . The entire inn was spotlessly clean. Great linens etc. The view we had was not great, but we booked at the last minute. The staff was extremely professional but very nice and polite. The bellman were all nice young well spoken gentlemen. Had lovely coffee and tea service available until late every evening, a wine and cheese service early evening and cookies and milk at 9PM. The breakfast was simple but good and well served, primarily bagel, pastries, fruit, milk, juice ,yougart ,coffee etc very good, but not your typical southern country breakfast, but was more than adequate which was all included in daily rate, parking is extra, but not the highest in town.We also were pleased with advice we received the first night we arrived (very casually dressed needed somwhere close to eat) went to Fleet Landing within walking distance and casual dress is acceptable. The food was great . Overall experience was excellant and plan to stay here again when returning to Charleston. Will hopefully book more in advance and get a room with view.

• Liked — cleanliness and location
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank southga
Charlotte
Reviewed 26 September 2007

This place will be above and beyond your greatest expectations! The hotel is upscale and beautiful..yet not stuffy. The staff..always attentive and top notch. The room..very clean and upscale..always smelled nice. In regard to food..incredible..breakfast is included..tea/coffee/fruit/candy all day..wine/fruit/cheese in the afternoon..cookies and milk in the evening..chocolate on your pillow with turn down services! The location can't be beat..steps away from the best restaurants in Charleston..across from the lovely waterfront park..perfect for a nice walk or jog and it winds around to the battery! This was a Perfect Vacation..and we hated to leave! All groups will enjoy..singles, seniors families and couples! Wonderful!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank CharlotteMeli
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 September 2007

Stayed at the Harbour View for our anniversary this week-end and couldn't have been happier with our choice. The location is fantastic - had a view of the Charleston harbor from our room. Rooms are large and beds have temper-pedic mattrassas and comfy pillows. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We really appreciated the little touches - milk and cookies at night, wine and cheese from 5-6, and the continental breakfast (we chose to take it on the roof top) was great. They wanted to give us a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary, but we were too tired every night!

• Liked — comfy beds - extras - wine and cheese, milk and cookies, continental breakfast
  • Disliked — slow elevator
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpcnurse
Near Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 14 September 2007

My mom and I spent a few days at the Harbourview Inn the week of Labor Day. It was a great choice to stay in this hotel. First of all it is right in front of the Harbor therefore the Harbor View rooms have a great view of it. The room and bathroom were very clean and the staff was very friendly. A choice of three types of breakfast is either served in the room, at the Atrium lobby or at the Rooftop Terrace.

Note, none of the breakfast choices include a hot breakfast meal. One breakfast choice consists of breakfast pastries and fruit. The second choice is a low card breakfast among other things it includes a cold hard boiled egg, an apple with Peanut butter and cheese. The third choice includes granola, yogurt and a bagel (plain or wheat). With all the breakfast choices you can also order coffee, a selection of juices, a cold hard boiled egg and cold cereals.

Everyday, the breakfast was delivered to our room on time. They even called the room to let us know it was on its way.

The hotel also offered a wine, cheese and fruit reception from 5:00-6:00 in the afternoon. In addition, it also offered home made cookies, milk and coffee at 8:30 PM. All of this at no extra charge.

The hotel also has a computer in the lobby with Internet service for the use of the guests without charge.

I highly recommend this hotel. There are many good hotels in Charleston but I feel this one is special. They also offer AAA discount which helps.

Stayed September 2007