“Fabulous in Charleston”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is charming! From the central location and professional staff, to the breakfast served in our room, the Harbourview is delightful in every way. And very reasonably priced in a city that gets more expensive every year due to its popularity.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Genine A
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Genine A,

Thank you for your pleasant review of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of an ideal location in Historic Charleston, our hard working service team, and complimentary services with us and future travelers. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Pennsylvania.

Please contact me directly if I may help you in any way and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

HarbourView Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (2,155)

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I don't normally leave reviews but we just got home from Charleston and the Harbourview Inn... Oh. My. Goodness.

Everything about this hotel is exactly right: location, rooms, staff, amenities. Anything we needed was immediately taken care of. They have m&ms and coffee/tea at all times, an afternoon tea, an early evening wine and cheese, and a late evening milk and cookies. The bed was so comfortable I'm going to hate sleeping in my own, and they brought warm, locally made pastries with coffee and fruit to my bedroom in the morning. From our window we could see the harbor and the wading fountain and it was about half a block to the pineapple fountain. Just... Perfect.

We will return to Charleston for sure and we will NEVER stay anywhere but Harbourview.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Karen G

Dear Karen G,

I am honored that the HarbourView Inn is the number one choice for you in Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are thrilled you enjoyed our cozy accommodations, our complimentary services, our convenient location and of course the beautiful harbor views that only the HarbourView Inn can offer. A very special thanks for complementing our hard working service team; they are truly our greatest asset in delivering quality experiences. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you and your family.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in January and were impressed by -
The professional, friendly and accommodating staff;
The lovely breakfasts served to the room with a great range of times;
The cleanliness and comfort ( wonderful beds!);
The little touches eg wine and nibbles 5-6pm, filling the gap before dinner;
The opportunity for hot drinks, fruit, etc at any time - we enjoyed a cup of herbal tea by the fire at bedtime, which was so welcome on chilly evenings.
The only downside was our first room - very large and comfortable but located near the elevator pump and we heard the grinding mechanism every time the elevator was used. However, when we asked for a change of room, the staff were very helpful and we were moved to a smaller but quieter room which was perfect.
The Harbourview Inn is a very nice hotel in a beautiful location.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank jayral
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Jayral,

I am thrilled to read all of your positive impressions of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are happy you kept warm by our front lobby fireplace while enjoying our complimentary amenities, and enjoyed our cozy accommodations. Also, I especially thank you for complementing our hard working service team; they are our most valued asset in delivering quality experiences, and I am proud to see they delivered a solution to your request. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in the United Kingdom.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed there for a week just after New Year's week. The hotel is situated across the street from Waterfront Park, close to everything in the historic area. The only disappointment was that our advertised "water view" room faced the maritime authority building and you had to step out on the balcony and search for a narrow harbor view off to the right. The room itself was lovely and very clean. The weather was quite cold so we did not use the rooftop but it had a beautiful view, would be terrific in mild weather. We had breakfast in the atrium, just OK, and the evening wine service, very nice. The staff could not have been more gracious or helpful, they made our stay very pleasant. They were upgrading some of the rooms, but the work went on unobtrusively. We would recommend it. And we hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for low numbers in the "water view" rooms to truly get a view. x01, x02, x03. To get a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MAE80,

I am contented to receive your kind review of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are happy you enjoyed our cozy accommodations and our complimentary wine & cheese reception. Also, thank you for commending our hard working service team; they are truly our most valued asset in delivering a quality experience. We are dedicated to providing a superior experience to our guests, and I sincerely apologize that your perfect experience was hindered by your view. The best views can be found in our Grand HarbourView Rooms and standard HarbourView Rooms. In the future we hope to receive your specific requests so we may meet every expectation.

We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Atlanta. Please contact me directly if I may help you in any way, and it will be a pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We spent a nice 5 nights here and it was nice. The rooms were very clean and the staff was exceptionally friendly-every single one of them. To be honest, we did not do the daily tea service or the evening wine service. We were in a 4th floor water view room but took the upgrade to the suite, it was nice, but really not that special. The view was a disappointment as I did not realize it would have the least water view of all the 4th floor water view rooms because of the adjacent building and the apartments right next door. We did not think it was too noisy...just not scenic. We realized the rooftop area would not be an option due to the weather. It looks like it would be great for breakfast or evenings in nice weather. The location is very convenient if you want to be near the water, great restaurants, art galleries and the beautiful historic homes and locales of Charleston.

We might stay again, but would probably do one of the rooms in the historic wing. Really want to focus on the kudos to the fabulous staff!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Gfdeb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience at the HarbourView Inn with us and future travelers. We are thrilled you enjoyed our clean accommodations and ideal location. Also, we sincerely thank you for applauding our service team, as they are our most valuable asset in delivering quality experiences.

We strive to provide a superior experience at the HarbourView Inn and we can see your perfect experience was hindered by the view not meeting your expectations. HarbourView Inn is the only hotel in Historic Charleston with views of the harbor. The Suite is one of only five rooms that have a top floor location with a balcony and a view of the busy Charleston Harbor. From the balcony one can spot the beautiful Cooper River Bridge, Patriot’s Point and Fort Sumter. We are sorry that the Suites two balconies did not deliver the view you desired. We hope to accommodate you again in the future so you may experience a Historic Wing room, which features a unique atmosphere with brick walls dating back to 1830, vaulted ceilings and newly renovated bathrooms.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed here 2 nights on birthday celebration for my wife, which our daughter paid for. Excellent location, one of the cleanest hotels we've ever stayed at, also staff was very friendly and helpful. Valet parking was also a big plus. One can walk from Harborview to large selection of upscale eateries. Breakfast delivered to room was also a biggy, will definitely be going back. Note:Managers reception with wine and cheese is also a plus.

Room Tip: Stay on 4th floor, no one above you, also access to terrace is located here close to elevator entra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ups1zeke,

I am pleased to see another guest highlight the HarbourView Inn’s ideal location, making us the only hotel in Historic Charleston with Harbor views. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing with future guests our specialized services including complimentary wine & cheese reception, continental breakfast delivery and convenient valet parking. We would welcome a return visit and we send our best to you in Rock Hill.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed here on a long week layover from a solo road trip from DC to Naples Florida. Picked it based on TA reviews and price at the time. Hotel is well situated on the Harbor and right near the main drags of restaurants in downtown Charleston. It is very clean and has a great rooftop terrace to take in breakfast (included in my rate), but I was put in a very noisy first-level room the night I came in - with no attempt by management to move me the next day. I ended up complaining and getting very good response from the front desk who moved me up a few floors. However, when they say you have a Waterside Room, this does not mean you have a Waterside View! In fact, the hotel views are essentially blocked from the water by a building between it and the harborside, so I challenge the value in paying for the Waterside option, but do recommend asking for a high floor, as this hotel sits in a busy spot and gets lots of street traffic (noise) all the time. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor as possible and don't opt for the Water View - it doesn't exist from wha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim C
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Jim C,

I sincerely thank you for sharing your candid review and valuable feedback with us and future travelers. We take pride in our dedication to continually improve our services, and guest’s feedback is most important in this endeavor. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate your kind remarks regarding our convenient location and our clean accommodations. We are also happy you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and the views from our terrace. However, we strive to provide superior experiences at the HarbourView Inn, so please accept our most sincere apologies for the noise you experienced and for our view not meeting your expectations. Our guest service team should have determined a solution as soon as they heard your request, but perhaps our options were limited. Also, it seems our management team was not notified of this request, so we will now be able to give further training on the best way to overcome these simple requests efficiently.

You are correct that our higher rooms do have better views and are categorized differently from what you initially book. The best views are found in our ‘Grand HarbourView Rooms’ and standard ‘HarbourView Rooms’. The ‘HarbourSide Rooms’, which you booked, feature French Doors that open to a view of Water Front Park, but do not offer harbor views. We do apologize of any miscommunication regarding your room type.

I would be happy to speak with you further about your helpful feedback. We also hope to accommodate you again in the future, so we may provide you with the superior experience I know we can provide. Please contact me directly if I may help you with anything, and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Kind Regards,