“Doesn't live up to expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Greenville, South Carolina
“Doesn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

While this hotel is situated with lovely views of the water and is clean & comfortable, it just doesn't live up to the hype. The door attendant didn't make a move to help us with our luggage and after check in no one offered to show us to our room or explain anything. The room itself was large and the bed comfortable, but frankly it lacked warmth & charm. Worst of all, we were rudely awakened in the early hours of the morning--apparently a previous guest had set it and housekeeping didn't make sure it was turned off. So much for our lazy Sunday morning! All in all, it's OK, but for the price I expect a lot more.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane S
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear SCTraveler5508,

I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with us and future travelers. I am thrilled to see you enjoyed our views and took advantage of HarbourView Inn’s ideal location. However, it is our goal to provide a perfect experience to all of our guests, and I am saddened that we did not meet all of your expectations. It is our goal to always have a valet attendant visible and available to assist guests with their every need, especially baggage service and welcoming guests into their accommodations. While we usually have two valet attendants available, perhaps they were busy with other arrivals, check outs or side work. We will certainly use your feedback in our dedication to continuously improve our services. Furthermore, our housekeeping staff will improve their services by making sure all past alarms are disabled so future guests may enjoy their much deserved rest.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation in Historic Charleston. We would be happy to accommodate you in the future to showcase our service upgrades and future room updates. Please contact me directly if I may assist you in any way and it will be my pleasure to assist you. We send our best to you and your family in Greenville.

HarbourView Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This was my First time to visit Charleston. This hotel was a perfect choice. I was traveling solo. The hotel staff were great. Everyone was so welcoming and wanted to help. The location was wonderful. My room over looked the water and I even got to see ships come into the harbor. A short walk to everything. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom was nice. Breakfast was simple but good. The extras ( breakfast, wine, cookies) are a nice touch. I really liked this place.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Eimatt99
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Eimatt99,

I am thrilled HarbourVIew Inn was the perfect choice for you! On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are glad you enjoyed your cozy accommodations, our complimentary extras, and of course the beautiful views that only the HarbourView Inn can offer. An extra special thank you for complementing our hard working service staff who is the number one asset in delivering our guests quality experiences. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Maryland.

Please contact me directly if I may help you in any way and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is charming! From the central location and professional staff, to the breakfast served in our room, the Harbourview is delightful in every way. And very reasonably priced in a city that gets more expensive every year due to its popularity.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Genine A
Dear Genine A,

Thank you for your pleasant review of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of an ideal location in Historic Charleston, our hard working service team, and complimentary services with us and future travelers. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Pennsylvania.

Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I don't normally leave reviews but we just got home from Charleston and the Harbourview Inn... Oh. My. Goodness.

Everything about this hotel is exactly right: location, rooms, staff, amenities. Anything we needed was immediately taken care of. They have m&ms and coffee/tea at all times, an afternoon tea, an early evening wine and cheese, and a late evening milk and cookies. The bed was so comfortable I'm going to hate sleeping in my own, and they brought warm, locally made pastries with coffee and fruit to my bedroom in the morning. From our window we could see the harbor and the wading fountain and it was about half a block to the pineapple fountain. Just... Perfect.

We will return to Charleston for sure and we will NEVER stay anywhere but Harbourview.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Karen G
Dear Karen G,

I am honored that the HarbourView Inn is the number one choice for you in Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are thrilled you enjoyed our cozy accommodations, our complimentary services, our convenient location and of course the beautiful harbor views that only the HarbourView Inn can offer. A very special thanks for complementing our hard working service team; they are truly our greatest asset in delivering quality experiences. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you and your family.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in January and were impressed by -
The professional, friendly and accommodating staff;
The lovely breakfasts served to the room with a great range of times;
The cleanliness and comfort ( wonderful beds!);
The little touches eg wine and nibbles 5-6pm, filling the gap before dinner;
The opportunity for hot drinks, fruit, etc at any time - we enjoyed a cup of herbal tea by the fire at bedtime, which was so welcome on chilly evenings.
The only downside was our first room - very large and comfortable but located near the elevator pump and we heard the grinding mechanism every time the elevator was used. However, when we asked for a change of room, the staff were very helpful and we were moved to a smaller but quieter room which was perfect.
The Harbourview Inn is a very nice hotel in a beautiful location.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank jayral
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Jayral,

I am thrilled to read all of your positive impressions of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are happy you kept warm by our front lobby fireplace while enjoying our complimentary amenities, and enjoyed our cozy accommodations. Also, I especially thank you for complementing our hard working service team; they are our most valued asset in delivering quality experiences, and I am proud to see they delivered a solution to your request. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in the United Kingdom.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed there for a week just after New Year's week. The hotel is situated across the street from Waterfront Park, close to everything in the historic area. The only disappointment was that our advertised "water view" room faced the maritime authority building and you had to step out on the balcony and search for a narrow harbor view off to the right. The room itself was lovely and very clean. The weather was quite cold so we did not use the rooftop but it had a beautiful view, would be terrific in mild weather. We had breakfast in the atrium, just OK, and the evening wine service, very nice. The staff could not have been more gracious or helpful, they made our stay very pleasant. They were upgrading some of the rooms, but the work went on unobtrusively. We would recommend it. And we hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for low numbers in the "water view" rooms to truly get a view. x01, x02, x03. To get a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Dear MAE80,

I am contented to receive your kind review of the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for sharing your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We are happy you enjoyed our cozy accommodations and our complimentary wine & cheese reception. Also, thank you for commending our hard working service team; they are truly our most valued asset in delivering a quality experience. We are dedicated to providing a superior experience to our guests, and I sincerely apologize that your perfect experience was hindered by your view. The best views can be found in our Grand HarbourView Rooms and standard HarbourView Rooms. In the future we hope to receive your specific requests so we may meet every expectation.

We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Atlanta. Please contact me directly if I may help you in any way, and it will be a pleasure to assist you.

Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We spent a nice 5 nights here and it was nice. The rooms were very clean and the staff was exceptionally friendly-every single one of them. To be honest, we did not do the daily tea service or the evening wine service. We were in a 4th floor water view room but took the upgrade to the suite, it was nice, but really not that special. The view was a disappointment as I did not realize it would have the least water view of all the 4th floor water view rooms because of the adjacent building and the apartments right next door. We did not think it was too noisy...just not scenic. We realized the rooftop area would not be an option due to the weather. It looks like it would be great for breakfast or evenings in nice weather. The location is very convenient if you want to be near the water, great restaurants, art galleries and the beautiful historic homes and locales of Charleston.

We might stay again, but would probably do one of the rooms in the historic wing. Really want to focus on the kudos to the fabulous staff!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Gfdeb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience at the HarbourView Inn with us and future travelers. We are thrilled you enjoyed our clean accommodations and ideal location. Also, we sincerely thank you for applauding our service team, as they are our most valuable asset in delivering quality experiences.

We strive to provide a superior experience at the HarbourView Inn and we can see your perfect experience was hindered by the view not meeting your expectations. HarbourView Inn is the only hotel in Historic Charleston with views of the harbor. The Suite is one of only five rooms that have a top floor location with a balcony and a view of the busy Charleston Harbor. From the balcony one can spot the beautiful Cooper River Bridge, Patriot’s Point and Fort Sumter. We are sorry that the Suites two balconies did not deliver the view you desired. We hope to accommodate you again in the future so you may experience a Historic Wing room, which features a unique atmosphere with brick walls dating back to 1830, vaulted ceilings and newly renovated bathrooms.