“Simply The Best”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed two nights at the Harbourview. The staff was incredible from the bell hop, the front desk, and the cleaning staff. Each person that my husband and I came in contact with were so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to make our stay as nice as possible. The room was fantastic. I have absolutely no complaints. We will definitely visit this hotel the next time we are in Charleston. Couldn't be happier!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawn M
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Shawn M,

I am thrilled you found the HarbourView Inn to be simply the best. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you helping spread the word of our specialized services to future visitors of Historic Charleston. I would like to sincerely thank you for commending our hard working service team who is the most valuable asset when it comes to delivering a quality experience. We are happy you enjoyed the cozy accommodations too, and we hope to accommodate you again in the future. We send our best to you and your family in Georgia.

Please contact me directly any time and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way.

HarbourView Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (2,155)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The rooms are clean and well maintained. Every employee we dealt with was friendly and helpful. The rooftop patio is a great place to relax. There's a beer store 5mins walk from the hotel so pack a small cooler and head on up to the rooftop. Breakfast delivered to the room or patio is another great amenity. My kids loved the complimentary M&Ms and cookies. I liked that we were walking distance to everywhere.

The only ding I can give is the AC seemed to have two modes - cold or hot. It wasn't much of an issue for us but your comfort level may vary.

The "could improve" is they could install a few extra towel hooks in the bathroom. When a family of four share a bathroom, space is needed to hang up the towels so they dry out (and they are nice, thick towels). We ended up gettng new towels daily because no one wants to use a damp towel.

2  Thank John B

Dear John B,

I am pleased you shared your experience with us and future visitors of Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate your kind remarks and we are thrilled that you took advantage of our ideal location and enjoyed our complimentary services. Moreover, a very special thank you for complimenting our hard working service team; I know they appreciate your commendations. Also, I am happy to report that as part of an update we will renovate our bathrooms and swap out our existing thermostats with digitally controlled thermostats. Thank you for this 5 star review despite these few issues which will help in our dedication to continually improve our services. We hope to accommodate you again and we send our best to you in Raleigh.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The location, down by the waterfront in the French Quarter is terrific and the staff are very friendly. There are some nice amenities, like valet parking, an evening wine and cheese reception and a continental breakfast delivered to your room that are included in the room rate. The tempur-pedic mattresses are unbeatable. The evening rooftop lecture by a local historian - which coincides with the wine and cheese reception - is wonderful. So why am I giving this hotel only three stars? Aside from the great mattresses, the physical property seems like a well-appointed Holiday Inn. All the extras don't make up for the fact that it's an ordinary hotel charging extraordinary prices.

2  Thank Peter R

Dear Pwrstr,

I thank you for taking the time to share your candid review with us and future travelers. Our guests’ feedback is most valuable in our dedication to continually improve our services. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate your kind remarks regarding our friendliness, and we are thrilled you took advantage of our valet parking and enjoyed our views and convenient location in Historic Charleston. Also, we are glad you enjoyed the cozy accommodations and the complimentary services such as our Skyline Tour. I know our local Historian, Brian with Charleston Sole, will appreciate these compliments. Furthermore, we are in a peak season and I can assure our rates are competitive with other local hotels. I would recommend a slower season such as late summer or December and January for the best available rates. We are lucky to have favorable weather most of the year. Also, I do believe you would be pleased with our upcoming updates including bathroom renovations, and we hope for the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future. We send our best to you in Washington DC, and please do not hesitate to contact me anytime. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The rooms were very nice, employees friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese, and cookies and milk. The location is excellent, putting you within walking distance of so many things. Definitely check out the rooftop views at sunset and sunrise. A few problems though.....one of the lamps in the room didn't work. Another was a three way lamp but only had a single voltage bulb in it. Annoying. The tub drain was very, very slow. The thermostat didn't seem to work well as the room was alternately too hot and too cold. The pillows are also awful. That said, this is an outstanding hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Christy N
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Christy N,

On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate you sharing with us your experience and feedback. I am thrilled you enjoyed our accommodations, complimentary amenities and ideal location. Moreover, I thank you for your kind remarks of our hard working team, who is the greatest asset in delivering quality experiences. I know they appreciate your commendations. Additionally, your feedback is most valuable in our dedication to continually improve our accommodations and services, and we thank you for sharing this with us so we may notify the proper department to improve in these areas. We hope to accommodate you again in the future so we may showcase our upcoming improvements such as updated bathrooms and new thermostats.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed 3 nights there. Location was great. It was closed to shopping and a lot of great restaurants. They have a nice complimentary breakfast, cookies, wine and cheese. Since we were not so comfortable with our room, we changed a room the second night, and we were told the charge for the updated room was the same as a room for the first stay by a front person. However, they charged more money for the second and third nights, and they even charged a parking fee although we didn't have a car! My husband tried to explain to a front person, and he corrected the charge eventually. Front desk seemed disoriented. It was very uncomfortable moment for us at the end of our trip. They should be more careful about charges. Also, attitude of one of the doorman was not professional and was not so nice. Since review of trip adviser was great, we chose this hotel, and we had a lot of expectations. However, we were disappointed with this hotel and we won't go back.

3  Thank Happyhappybird

Dear Happyhappybird,

On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate you sharing your honest opinion regarding your recent experience at the our establishment. Yours and any guests’ feedback is most valuable in our dedication to continually improve our services. I am happy to see you enjoyed our convenient location and views that only the HarbourView Inn can offer in Historic Charleston. It is also important for us to add value to our experience with complimentary services and amenities, and I am thrilled you enjoyed these services such as Cookies & Milk, Wine & Cheese and Continental Breakfast delivery. Furthermore, I extend my most sincere apologies that you were disappointed with your overall experience due to a few issues. This is certainly not indicative of our usual poised and professional services.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion with the room and the room rates that you booked. In this experience, we were able to upgrade your room without any change in rate. Perhaps, we quoted an average rate when you booked the room even though the rate may have changed day to day. We then send a confirmation email to confirm all the details of your reservation before your arrival. Regardless, I am happy to see our team member made the correct decision to discount your rate, and I thank you for sharing this with us.

In the vast majority of our reviews from any source, our service team has been commended for their friendliness, professionalism and dedication to a quality guest experience. Our entire team will read your comments so they may improve in these types of situations and become superior ambassadors of the HarbourView Inn.

We are dedicated to continually improve our services and amenities, and I can assure your review will be utilized in further training to improve our services. We do hope you were able to enjoy our beautiful city and the other specialized services of the HarbourView Inn. We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future, and if you choose to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way. We send our best to you and your family in New York City.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I found out about this hotel through Trip Advisor and the comments of previous guests were right on. Our room was huge and comfortable. While we would have preferred to have a harbor view (they were sold out), we were able to see one of the church steeples from one of the 3 sets of windows in our room. We had a corner room furthest away from the elevator. I would recommend this room location as I do not think we heard any hallway noise the entire stay. My husband had the hotel arrange a bouquet of flowers as we were celebration our anniversary and the hotel also gave us chilled champagne with piano music playing on the radio as we walked in. The hotels extras like breakfast, the wine and cheese reception, cookies and milk at night, the turndown service, and the tea, lemon water, and M&M's in the lobby were great add-on's that made the room price seem much more reasonable. We used the valet service. Every time we called down, our car was there with a smiling valet. In fact, one night, we had casually mentioned to the valet where we were going for dinner. When we returned several hours later, he asked us how our dinner was at that restaurant. It really is all of the little things that made the stay move from "very good" to "great". Also, the hotel's towels were some of the softest towels I have ever had at a hotel. The location of the hotel is right across the street from the waterfront park and is in easy walking distance to many restaurants and the outdoor market. Would definitely stay here again if in Charleston.

Room Tip: Corner room away from elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Green24,

I am pleased the HarbourView Inn team delivered a great experience for you and your husband, and I must thank all of our past guests for sharing all of their wonderful experiences on Trip Advisor. Moreover, I know our team will appreciate you kind remarks, and I must say our team is the greatest asset in delivering this kind of quality experience. I am glad you enjoyed the views and location that only the HarbourView Inn can offer in Historic Charleston. Also, I am thrilled that you enjoyed our complimentary amenities such as Milk & Cookies, Wine & Cheese reception, Breakfast delivery, Turndown Service and of course M&Ms all day long. Thank you again for this wonderful showcase of the HarbourView Inn experience and we hope to host you on a return visit! We send our best to you in Illinois.

Please contact me directly if I may assist you and it will be a pleasure to help.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We loved this hotel, the staff could not have been nicer or more welcoming. This is a wonderful location, close to shopping and delicious restaurants. King Street (for those who love shopping) is an easy walk. The concierge made reservations for dinner for us before we arrived which was very convenient. Loved having breakfast delivered to our room each morning, having tea available in the atrium all day, wine and cheese at cocktail hour and the cookies and milk put out at bedtime. They thought of everything.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor near the atrium and it was quiet even during the wine and cheese party.
1  Thank Carey M

Dear Carey M,

I am elated to see you had an amazing experience while staying at the HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing this experience with future travelers. I am glad you took advantage of our ideal location and enjoyed our complimentary services such as continental breakfast delivery, wine & cheese reception and of course the delicious Cookies & Milk each night. We hope to host you again on a return visit to Historic Charleston and send our best to you in Baltimore.