“Feels like being home and in the lap of luxury at the same time”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed at the Harbourview Inn for the second time last week and it was just as wonderful as the first time. The cleaning staff, concierge staff, and all other staff are so friendly, kind and helpful. The complimentary wine and cheese at 5 makes the entire day and the milk and cookies every night is just the perfect touch. The rooms are always absolutely perfect and the location is just enough in the middle of all the best dining/locations but just far enough away from the crowds and right on the water. It is just perfection. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. We will return again and again.

Room Tip: We always stay in the historic wing suites because they have the highest ceilings, and we like the o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear BMT272,

On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn Team, we thank you for helping spread the word of our specialized services to future travelers of Historic Charleston. I am thrilled that our complimentary services such as Wine & Cheese and Cookies & Milk made you feel at home. Furthermore, I am happy you found comfort in your past visits in our Historic Wing Rooms, and we look forward to accommodating you again in the future. I send my best to you in Dallas.

Please contact me directly anytime and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

There are newer reviews for Harbourview Inn

Reviewed 13 April 2014

As alluded to in the title, the location is excellent and the bed is very comfortable, but unfortunately it ends there. Our room, room 406, overlooked a power substation directly beneath it which my wife felt was giving her headaches, the wallpaper was beginning to separate from the walls in the bathroom, and the bathroom floor was quite dirty. When we inquired whether any other rooms were available we were told by the front desk that there was a street-view room for an up charge, but that they were full the following day so they would have to move us back to room 406 the following night.

I understand this, and if they are truly full there is nothing they can do about moving a customer, so I asked to cancel my two remaining nights. I was told there is a 72 hour cancellation policy and I would be charged anyway. I also understand a cancellation policy put in place for people who don't show up - but I would have hoped there could have been some understanding for a customer who was there for the first night of a three night booking and was unhappy with the accommodation and unable to be moved. We were treated with indifference by the front desk and they made no attempt to help.

There were other minor staff shortcomings throughout our stay, but while those could be chalked up as mistakes, the attitude of the desk (your only point of contact at this hotel) cannot.

This hotel prices out closely with other higher-end hotels in the beautiful city of Charleston, if you are looking in this price point, look elsewhere where hopefully the customer treatment will be more with the reputation and cost.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank MidwestTraveler0
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear MidwestTraveler0,

I am sad to see that one of your first ever Trip Advisor reviews is negative. However, I thank you for your feedback which will help in our dedication to improve our services and accommodations. Also, I am happy that you, as many other experienced travels before you, enjoyed our location in Historic Charleston and our comfortable Tempur Pedic beds. The traditional room you booked does not advertise a Harbor View, and I must address that the substation may be an eyesore but it does not emit any energy or sound outside of the grid itself. Also, the fourth floor Traditional rooms are a catch as they do provide a better view of Charleston’s beautiful and historic skyline. Next, I would agree that a 72 hour cancellation policy would not have applied to you rather an early departure fee should have been quoted, and I have retrained our team on proper procedures. Your reservation was prepaid through Orbitz which is typically nonrefundable. Had I spoken with you during your stay I would have certainly spoken to Orbitz in order for you to depart early with no charge. My post stay contact with Orbitz did result in compensation for any shortcomings, and I am sorry that was not sufficient and led to this Trip Advisor review. Furthermore, I understand you did not perceive the value of our hotel but April is a peak season, and our rates are comparable to neighboring hotels. I suggest late summer, December and January for the best rates in Historic Charleston. Moreover, I am happy to report our 4th floor guest rooms’ bathrooms will be updated in November which will correct the bathroom issues you addressed. I hope you were able to enjoy our other services and our beautiful city, and I would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again so we may provide a more superior experience.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is a charming and pleasant hotel right across the street from the bay. It does have a rooftop patio and the views are fine. The cookies are warm and the milk is cold. The central location made up for the average service. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Aiscifi,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our unbeatable location, views and our complimentary services such as freshly baked cookies and chilled milk every evening. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future travelers of Historic Charleston. We hope to host you on a return visit and we send our best to you in L.A.

Please contact me any time, and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We recently stayed two nights at the Harborview Inn- would definitely go back. Great staff, very friendly and accommodating. Our room was really comfortable. Roof top nice but not extraordinary but they do have a complimentary cocktail hour which is nice! We've been to Charleston a few times and this a great spot, great location, walkable to many places.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robin s

Dear Robin S,

On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we thank you for all of your kind remarks regarding our cozy accommodations, complimentary services and our ideal location and views that only the HarbourView Inn can offer. Furthermore, I thank you for commending our friendly service team who is our greatest asset in delivering a quality experience. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and we send our best to you in Cincinnati.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had a very nice time at this hotel, and would return. The room was comfy and clean. Loved the mattress and pillows, they were not the typical lumpy bumpy kind at a lot of hotels.
2 things bugged us given the high cost. There's no breakfast room, so they give the option of delivering the food to a few locations. We had it delivered to our room. The problem is that you have to decide by 11pm, what time you want delivery and what you want. This didn't work for us. We like to wake when we feel like it, and not have to make choices the night before. Having said that, we had no complaints with the food.
The roof top patio has no view of the Harbor unless you stand in one corner and peer over the concrete wall! There's no view while sitting on the sofas or at the tables. This was really weird given that we were told several times to make sure we visited the roof for the wonderful view.
Neither of us could fathom this. The best comfy view of the Harbor is from the 2 chairs facing out in the reception area.

5  Thank lizzyloopy59

Dear Lizzyloopy59,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future travelers. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate the kind remarks and we are thrilled you enjoyed our cozy accommodations and our services. For our On-The-Go guests that do not want to be held back by a breakfast delivery time, we offer a continental breakfast buffet in our Atrium each morning with fruit, pastries, juice and coffee. Furthermore, our rooftop terrace's view may be hindered when sitting and enjoying our comfortable patio furniture, but the terrace does offer a beautiful view of the Charleston Harbor and the many inspiring views of historic Steeples and Spires. Moreover, we hope you enjoyed Historic Charleston and we hope to accommodate you again in the future. I send my best to you and your family in Philadelphia.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Only stayed for 1 night but thoroughly enjoyed. The room was large with nice seating and a comfortable king sized bed. The shower controls confused us a little. The bathroom was large. Everything was clean and modern. We faced Vendue St. and the noise kept going until about 11:00 P.M. but not too bad. Everyone was very friendly.

They have milk and cookies in the later evening. There is wine, crackers etc at 5 and a great rooftop terrace to enjoy them. Breakfast was delivered to the room and was very good. The terrace overlooks the harbour with a great view. The hotel is accessible to almost all attractions with little walking.

Highly recommend.

1  Thank Caribbeancrazy243
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Caribbeancrazy243,

It is so great to have such a nice review from an experienced traveler. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with future visitors. I am glad you took advantage of our location in Historic Charleston which places one only a block away from some of the best restaurants and walking distance to shopping and attractions. Also, I am happy you enjoyed our beautiful views and our complimentary services. We hope to accommodate you again during your next visit to Historic Charleston. We send our best to you in Winnipeg.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed two nights at the Harbourview. The staff was incredible from the bell hop, the front desk, and the cleaning staff. Each person that my husband and I came in contact with were so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to make our stay as nice as possible. The room was fantastic. I have absolutely no complaints. We will definitely visit this hotel the next time we are in Charleston. Couldn't be happier!

1  Thank Shawn M
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Guest Relations Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Shawn M,

I am thrilled you found the HarbourView Inn to be simply the best. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you helping spread the word of our specialized services to future visitors of Historic Charleston. I would like to sincerely thank you for commending our hard working service team who is the most valuable asset when it comes to delivering a quality experience. We are happy you enjoyed the cozy accommodations too, and we hope to accommodate you again in the future. We send our best to you and your family in Georgia.

Please contact me directly any time and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way.