“Wonderful Hotel!”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is an exceptional hotel. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable! A great night sleep! Wonderful service. Added treats like complimentary breakfast delivered to roof top patio or room, wine and cheese at 5, and cookies and milk before bedtime. Super location! Highly recommend.

1  Thank Gina P
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Gina P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your exceptional experience and give your recommendation to future travelers of Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate the review, and I am thrilled you took advantage of our ideal location and enjoyed our cozy accommodations and all of our complimentary services. We hope to accommodate you again and send our best to you in Arkansas.

Please contact me any time and it will be my pleasure to assist you with anything.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

3 nights here in June.
The positives are the location, right by the waterfront, close to numerous bars, restaurants and visitor sights. The free trolley bus stops outside. The cheese and wine at 5.00 and the cookies and milk at 9.00 are a nice touch. The continental breakfast choices are reasonable, and there is free tea and coffee all day. The terrace has good views and is able to catch the sea breezes.
The disappointments for us: the term harbour view is a little disingenuous as unless you are on the top 4th floor, you can only see the harbour by craning your neck out of the window. We had a harbour side room, which technically it is, but the website pictures do not really tell the full story as there is a whacking great building between the hotel and the waterfront.. The staff were efficient rather than friendly and certainly the lady serving the free drinks was as miserable as sin, and had her tip box out rather expectantly. The valet greeted us in the car park and asked if we had any questions about Charleston before we even got out of the car. It certainly felt like he was doing what was required rather than with any great interest or service in mind.

We found the hotel to be much more expensive than others on our trip but put this down to the central location for which you pay a premium. It was very convenient for us, but we were disappointed it and the staff lacked the Southern charm we have experienced elsewhere in Georgia and South Carolina.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for harbour side rooms as the view is obscured by the building opposite. The beds...
2  Thank AthelbraeTraining
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear AthelbraeTraining,

I thank you for your review and feedback of your experience with the HarbourView Inn. It is great to see you enjoyed our ideal location near shopping, dining and attractions. Also, it is important for us to add value to the experience with services such as the Wine & Cheese, Cookies & Milk, daily refreshments and coffee, and I am happy you enjoyed these complimentary services. Furthermore, I extend my most sincere apologies for you finding short comings in other areas of your stay. HarborSide Rooms feature French Doors and partial views of Waterfront Park. The photos on our website do not advertise water views in this room type, and I suggest HarbourView Rooms and Grand HarbourView Rooms for our best harbor views. I will share your other comments with our team and use them as training for delivering services in a friendly and professional manner. I wish I could have spoken to you during your stay so I may have recovered from these service failures, and I am certainly available to expand on any other feedback, as guest feedback is the most valuable in our dedication to continually improve our services. We hope to accommodate you again in the future so we may deliver a more superior experience.

Please contact me anytime and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel near everything in Charleston. The hotel overlooks the harbor and the large fountain at the park. Our arrival was met by a very friendly and courteous valet. The valet parking was very nice and we really didn't need our car till the day we left. The front desk was very helpful. Our room, 201, was a corner room overlooking the fountain. The room was very clean and well decorated. Since the hotel is well located, we could walk to the restaurants. It is very nice having the continental breakfast on the hotel's rooftop. We also took our evening cocktails up to the rooftop to enjoy the view. All and all, our visit was a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Glen G

Dear Glen G,

I am thrilled you had a wonderful time and found HarbourView Inn to be beautiful and conveniently located. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with future travelers of Historic Charleston. I especially thank you for complementing the services of our valet and front desk teams, whom without we could not deliver such quality experiences. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and send our best to you sunny Florida.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We often come to Charleston for our romantic getaways...my husband and I love the feel of the old city and all that it has to offer. We used to usually stay at the Charleston Place, but this time I wanted something more intimate, closer to the park and with a view...but I was not ready for a BB (I like my big 5 star hotel amenities ;) ...so I found this Inn. PERFECT. It was my husband's birthday and all the staff made it extra special (Thank you Mr. Drew Ford and Matt Buros)...the front desk was extremely nice and all the cookies, milk, tea, coffee and wine were very thoughtful (as was the complimentary bottle of champagne in our room)
Our room was wonderful and had a great view of the park and the bay...we had our breakfast and late night drinks on the balcony and loved it. The room size is not huge, but nice size and very well appointed. The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom sure was a nice touch. The location of the hotel just cannot be beat. We were able to walk absolutely everywhere. (it would have been nice if the Inn provided bikes, like some of the boutique hotels do)

Room Tip: the higher the better. Do call and ask for a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MMignone

Dear MMignone,

I am overjoyed to read of your perfect experience at the HarbourView Inn. I cannot thank you enough for the kind remarks for Matt and myself. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you sharing your experience and spreading the word of our services, such as wine & cheese, cookies & milk, and continental breakfast delivery. I am happy you took advantage of our ideal location and enjoyed the views from our terrace. I hope we may accommodate you again on a future visit to Historic Charleston, and I send our best to your family back home.

Please contact me any time and it will be my pleasure to assist you in any way..

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My boyfriend won a silent auction bid and this hotel had a gift certificate for a 2 nite stay in the package!! We were pleasantly surprised. The only room left with a king was the handicapped room. It was very nice. The mattress was so nice (tempurpedic?) Great linens!! The service was great. The only complaint and such a mild complaint was that our bathroom must have backed up to the elevator (we were on 2nd floor) and we could hear the elevator. It wasn't that loud if we shut the bathroom door.

Beautiful view of harbor on the top floor!! Morning coffee is so good!!

Great stay! Enjoyed it!!!

Dear Baruba_Juba,

Congratulations on winning our donated two night stay from the silent auction you attended! On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with future travelers of Historic Charleston. I am thrilled you enjoyed our ideal views, our comfy tempur pedic beds with cozy linens and thank you for complementing our services delivered by our team, whom without we could not deliver such quality experiences. We send our best to you in Lexington, and we hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel’s location right by the Harbor, in the heart of the downtown historic district, is unparalleled. The hotel is within walking distance to most attractions in downtown historic Charleston including the famous Market, old churches, museums, art galleries, rainbow row, the battery and others. Dining options around the hotel are great, with most notable restaurants located on or around East Bay, which is a block away from the hotel. We dined at High Cotton one evening, where we had a wonderful time (nice ambiance) and enjoyed exquisite food.

To add to the pleasure of staying there (we stayed for a week), the service and hospitality were fantastic! This hotel and its staff exceeded our expectations! The daily complimentary cheese and wine happy hour, the freshly baked cookies and milk, and the occasional live entertainment on the roof are all phenomenal ideas, quite rare in most hotels and had the effect of producing an overall exceptional experience. The staff in general was very attentive, polite and helpful, and we had the good fortune of meeting Drue, one of the hotel’s managers, who made our stay an unforgettable one! He was absolutely wonderful: a savvy businessman, a friendly local with a wealth of knowledge about local attractions and a caring supervisor with great interpersonal skills, all embodied in one person! Marcus, Sabrina and Lisa were also terrific.

We had a gorgeous room facing the harbor with its beautiful fountain, which are considered top attractions in Charleston. In fact, we noticed that shuttles from other hotels brought their guests to the harbor and locals visited the area on the weekend. The free trolley/shuttle bus (green color, no. 211) stops right by the hotel and can take you to Marion Square where there is a farmer’s market (in additional to the famous Market that is close to the hotel) every weekend as well as street fairs and exhibits (arts and crafts) during the week. We saw an art exhibit on the lawn during the Spoleto Festival. King Street, along which Charleston’s famous shopping district is located, is very close to Marion Square.

Overall a memorable experience! We look forward to staying at the HarbourView Inn again!

Room Tip: No fitness center or swimming pool, but no option above for N/A; these were not necessary to make ou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank YR100
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear YR100,

Simply the title of your review brings great pleasure to the HarbourView Inn team and myself. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate your thorough review of our services and accommodations which will be shared with several future travelers of Historic Charleston. I am so pleased you took advantage of our ideal location in Historic Charleston by trying some wonderful restaurants and visiting local attractions. Also, it is always a pleasure getting to know our guests, and I cannot thank you enough for the compliments, especially towards our team members Marcus, Sabrina and Lisa. They are true assets to our initiative, and without them and our entire team we could not deliver such quality experiences. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and send our best to you back home in the Big Apple!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Was sooo looking forward to Charleston, and this place, but overall disappointed. Hotel had that "musty" smell of ill cared for places in tropical climates. Bathroom featured one of those plastic all in one units for the tub with attached wall. This one was damaged and a bit warped so that the water didn't drain, leaving the water to collect, which of course caused it to peel. Room was generous sized-- but with no view ( We had one of less expensive ones which still was far more expensive than nice hotels in Europe…) Location was fine, within walking distance of restaurants and some attractions, but far from Aquarium. Service was ok, not really polished, though. "Business center" is one computer in lobby feet away from front desk. Fights broke out over use of computer. Sad to say I would not recommend hotel. Also admit was a bit disappointed in downtown Charleston, which should become pedistrian/ bike only! Last odd thing-- no restaurant for breakfast, which is brought to room. Coffee is-- how do I say this politely?-- yucky.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Simple_Tastes_Best,

On behalf of our entire team, we appreciate you sharing your review and opinion of the HarbourView Inn and Historic Charleston. I am glad you found our accommodations to be spacious and took advantage of our convenient location for shopping, dining and several historic attractions. Moreover, please accept my most sincere apologies that Historic Charleston and our services did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is most valuable to our dedication to continually improve our services. Regarding our business center, I would hope for any disagreements over the use of our guest computer to be communicated with a team member who would certainly provide another option for computer usage. I assure you that your review will be seen by our team members so we may know where we can improve going forward. Furthermore, I am happy to report that by spring of 2015 we will have updated bathrooms that will include cast iron tubs and rooms with walk in showers. Also, our business center will be updated with multiple computers and tablets for guest use.

We hope to accommodate you again in the future so we may showcase our improvements and provide you with the superior experience I know we can deliver. Please feel free to contact me directly for any other feedback or questions, and it will be my pleasure to assist you.