Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 29 August 2014

As a result of researching hotels for a Charleston trip for my wife and me, we picked the HarbourView Inn because of its amenities and location in the French Quarter on the Charleston harbor waterfront.

We were given a water-view room that was very well appointed, sufficiently spacious, and extremely quiet, comfortable, and clean. Our amenities included complimentary afternoon wine and cheese in the atrium. The continental breakfast was inclusive and delivery options included our room, the atrium, or the hotel’s rooftop. We chose the rooftop because of the nice views and the fine weather. We breakfasted at the hotel three mornings and were wholly satisfied with the quality and variety that included yogurt, parfaits, fruit, cereal, and baked goods plus drinks.

Our service was excellent. All of the members of the staff, including the parking valets, were very courteous and helpful. In particular, our receptionist/concierge Jessica was a standout. In addition to being very gracious, she provided us with numerous excellent dinner recommendations and called to make reservations for us.

The location of this hotel could not have been better. It is in close proximity to the historic residential district, topnotch restaurants, the Market area, and other city attractions. The free DASH city trolley bus stops across the hotel’s front door and will take you to many attractions outside of walking distance.

The HarbourView Inn is a first-rate hotel in an ideal location and staffed with very accommodating and professional personnel.

Room Tip: Ask for a water-view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChiMike606
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear ChiMike606,

We are honored to have a 5 out of 5 rating from a well-traveled, Top Contributor of Trip Advisor. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we thank you for helping spread the word of our specialized services. We are thrilled you enjoyed our ideal location, our services and amenities. Also, thank you for commending Jessica for her hard work; I know she appreciates your kind words. Our team is always happy to provide recommendations and book reservations for activities in Historic Charleston. We hope to accommodate you again in the future and send our best to you in Chicago.

HarbourView Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed me and my boyfriend 2 nights for our 2 years anniversary.
We decided to take the romance package, which costs almost 1200 dollars.
One of my worst experience.

The package included a bottle of sparkling wine, a dozen of roses in the room, a carriage tour in the historic district, a dinner in a restaurant and a late check-out at 2pm.

The good things : very nice location, very comfortable bed and the carriage tour was very pleasant.

For the rest, it is definitely not a 4 stars hotel.
The room (213) was not very clean, I bet they never cleaned the air conditionning vents.
No view, a huge tree was just in front of the window, we couldn't see anything else. I understood the day after, by going to the roof top terrace, that this tree was here in order to hide a power substation...
The furnitures are completely outdated and there is no mini bar (just an empty fridge)

We also could hear through the walls of our room the sound of the elevator, very loud. Very disturbing early in the morning. Be prepared to use earplugs !

When we arrived the first day in our room, there were roses inside, and petals on the bed, as expected. The thing is that it was yellow roses. Since it was a romance package, they could have put red or pink roses in the room, but they chose yellow roses, which symbolize the infidelity. So romantic.

Then, the sparkling wine. It was a bottle of Cava. No more than 6 dollars worth. For a 1200 dollars package. No comments.

Concerning the breakfast : there is a form in the room to be filled before 11pm with what you want to eat for breakfast and at which time. And not a lot of choices.
Even if the pastries were good, the portions were really small.

There was a 100 dollars dinner included in the package, with a choice of 4 partners restaurants. It was disappointing. The food was frozen. You can find very cheaper places in the neighborhood with better food. The package was definitely not a good deal.

The last day, our keys were deactivated before 2pm, despite the later checkout included in the package.

Before leaving, the woman at the frontdesk asked us how was our stay. I answered that it was below our expectations and I mentionned the poor view of the room. She just smiled and answered : oh, yes it is a traditionnal view...

For 1200 dollars, we could have had so much better, and probably a real view. So disappointing.

This hotel is just average.
If you want to save your money, stay away from the romance package !
It is definitely not worth it !

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Aurelie_JB

Dear Aurelie_JB,

On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we thank you for providing us with your opinions and feedback. Guest feedback helps us constantly improve our services. Please accept our sincere apologies for not providing the accommodations that you expected. We truly wish that you would have spoken to a member of management during your stay as we are poised to modify arrangements or make concessions in order to recover from displeasures.

We would like to address some of your individual concerns, so that we may clear up any confusions. First, the Celebrate Romance package should include red roses. After research and phone calls to local florists, we have determined that here yellow roses do not signify infidelity, but rather stand for friendship, joy and happiness. Moreover, our team should have caught this mistake and corrected it immediately. Also, the sparkling wine included in this package was chosen by our wine vendor because it boasts a 90+ rating. We have no intentions of saving costs by providing it. We are always open to special requests for package components and will make our best effort to meet your requests. Furthermore, our furniture and décor are intentionally designed in a West Indies old world style. All of the wooden pieces were specifically designed for our property and hand made by a master craftsman. Finally, we would have been happy to try to accommodate any requests for a view. We have upgraded room types that offer views of the harbor. Since you reserved a room without a view, the staff was not aware that was a need of yours.

Overall, we regret not meeting your expectations, and we will use all of your feedback in the continuous training and dedication to constantly improve our services. The overwhelming majority of our guests truly love the ambiance, décor and service in the hotel. We wish you would come back to try us again so that we may show you that we are capable of providing wonderful experiences.

If I could be of further assistance, please contact me any time. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed 2 nights at HI and wish we could have stayed at least 2 more! The staff and service were wonderful, the room beautiful with awesome views (corner 3rd floor), the location fantastic(walking distance to great restaurants, the waterfront, Rainbow Row, King St., market, etc.). Everything from the complimentary breakfast served to location of guests preference, afternoon tea, wine and cheese hour, nightly milk and cookies, turn down service, Tempurpedic mattress, rooftop terrace, friendly, knowledgeable staff... everything simply amazing. We hope to stay again.

2  Thank Rhonda H

Dear Rhonda H,

Thanks for helping spread the word of the specialized services offered at HarbourView Inn. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for the kind review, and we are happy you found HarbourView Inn to be an excellent hotel in an excellent location as many before you have. Our location is very special as well as our complimentary services, such as wine & cheese, cookies & milk and continental breakfast delivery each morning. We hope to accommodate you again and send our best to you in Raleigh.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and could not have been happier with our hotel choice. The staff was upbeat, happy, and friendly. Every time we passed a staff member in the halls or elevator they would greet us with a smile and ask how our day was. The rooms are lovely and well taken care of. The Tempur-pedic mattress was to die for! Having never slept on one, it turned me into a believer and I see a purchase of one in my near future. The only complaint I would have about the room is the choice to put a 4 poster bed in front of the TV. We tried to enjoy breakfast in bed our first morning there but the front bed poster was blocking our view! Poor planning on the hotel but maybe not all the rooms are like that? Either way, it wouldn't discourage me from staying there again. The hotel is located within walking distance to most things you'll want to see in Charleston and being steps away from Waterfront Park and the pier was more than we could have asked for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone...you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Jamie V
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Jamie V,

I am pleased that you were happy with you choice of accommodations for your trip to Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate the feedback and glowing review of our specialized services and accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed our cozy Tempur Pedic mattresses and took advantage of our ideal location near the harbor and many Charleston attractions. Also, we appreciate your feedback regarding the four poster beds. All guest feedback will help us continually improve our services and accommodations. We look forward to your next visit and hope everything is well back home.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The Harbourview Inn is an amazing place to stay. The two short nights that we spent there were way too short and we loved every minute of it. From the chocolate chip cookies at night to the wine and cheese hour, everything was great. I recommend grabbing yourself a glass of wine and going upstairs to the rooftop seating area to check out the amazing views.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank btc34
TDFord, Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Btc34,

I am thrilled you had an amazing experience, and we wish it lasted longer as well. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we appreciate you helping spread the word of our specialized services such as milk & cookies and wine & cheese. Our rooftop terrace offers beautiful views of Charleston and the Harbor that are unparalleled by other hotels, and it is a great place to enjoy some wine or breakfast delivered there in the morning. We hope to accommodate you again and send our best to you in Indiana.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I made a last minute reservation on a Monday afternoon and The Harbourview Inn could not have been more accommodating! The room was beautiful and everyone at the hotel was extremely helpful and friendly. I just wish we could have stayed longer:) The breakfast delivered to our room was an extra wonderful touch. Everything we wanted to do was in walking distance and the view from our room was spectacular. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Tkrogero

Dear Tkrogero,

I am pleased you found the HarbourView Inn for your last minute trip through Historic Charleston. On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate you starting your Trip Advisor membership with a glowing review of the HarbourView Inn. Also, thank you for complementing our friendly team; they will appreciate the kind words. We are happy you enjoyed the accommodations and services and hope to accommodate you again in the future. We send our best to you in Asheville.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

They really know what service is about in Charleston! This spot is in an excellent location to the local galleries and eateries. The staff is knowledgeable and willing to assist you in every way. The rooms are clean with ample space. They are beautifully appointed. Breakfast comes with your reservation and is wonderful. It is worth it's price.

Room Tip: Loved the historic room we had. Ask for that area.
2  Thank Ohly01

Dear Ohly01,

I am delighted our location was convenient for your interest in local galleries and restaurants. On behalf of the entire HarbourView Inn team, we thank you for the kind complements, and we are thrilled you enjoyed the cozy accommodations on our Historic Wing and enjoyed our other services. We hope to accommodate you during your next trip to Historic Charleston and send our best to you back home in Rockford.