“Number One Choice Hotel in entire Charleston area - a unique experience indeed!”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 18 July 2009

After a recent visit to Charleston, South Carolina, I was most impressed by my hotel appropriately named the Harbourview Inn Charleston! Not knowing what to expect, I was more than pleasantly surprised! The pleasantries and amenities were noticed immediately.

This hotel is perfectly situated near the water for the view, but also conveniently placed so that all you need or want is just around the corner! It was perfect for my five night stay, traveling solo for the first time. Not only was the cleanliness and service impeccable, the Southern hospitality of the employees made me feel right at home. Bert, Robert, Tyler, Jack, Joseph, Mike, Baily, Jason and Trey (I apologize if I left anyone out of this list), made sure I was comfortable in every way possible. The front desk kept me informed of the tourist attractions as well as the local fare, came through with directions and ways of transportation, suggested restaurants and beaches and made me aware of weather conditions so not to nix my overall plans for each upcoming day. The ambiance of the atrium/sitting areas, inside and outdoors up on the roof were spectacular! Morning breakfast on the roof enjoying the view, wine & cheese at 5 and milk and cookies at 9, made for a wonderful start, mid day break or end to each day. I was also very pleased by the ease and convenience of all transactions having been made for me.

Overall, this hotel is number 1 in my book and definitely a hotel I will return to over and over again when in Charleston, my new favorite Southern vacation spot! I have already recommended it to new friends & vacationers I had met while in town as well as those I had met on the plane ride back to New York state. Complaints? I should have stayed longer - I hold the hotel management responsible for not convincing me of this!

Anna
Rochester, New York

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank commonvacationer
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Assistant General Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2009

We at the HarbourView Inn are very grateful for your comments. It is great to hear that the staff took extra special care of you, especially as a solo traveler. The staff is very knowledgeable and always willing to assist with any recommendations. We hope you will return soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,114)

Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I recently returned from our first stay in Charleston. After researching, I decided on the Harbourview. I was very glad that I did. We stayed in the deluxe Harbourview room and the view was beautiful. The hotel's location is very convenient to nearby restaurants, sights, etc. We were immediately greeted when we pulled up to the hotel. The staff was very nice and pleasant. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The only downside was that we didn't stay longer.

I highly recommend the Harbourview Inn. It was the perfect choice for us!

2  Thank NJSusan-7

We are very pleased that your research led you to the HarbourView Inn. We are proud to have been your host on your first visit to Charleston. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband and I had a delightful stay at the Harbourview Inn over the 4th of July weekend. We arrived around 1:00pm on Friday afternoon and check in was smooth and efficient. The staff seemed a bit harried (as if they might have been short of staff over the holiday weekend) but they were always polite and responsive. Our room was on the first floor (#109) which originally concerned me because of its proximity to the front desk and atrium but this turned out to be a non-issue and our room was very quiet. The room itself was very nice and well appointed with Tempurpedic mattresses and nice linens on the bed. Toiletries (Gilchrist and Somes) are what you would expect to find in a four star hotel. Additionally there were waffle weave bath robes and nice towels in the bathroom. There was only one sink in the bathroom but this is a minor issue.

The continental breakfast in the morning and the wine and cheese, and milk and cookies at night are really nice touch. The weekend of our stay, there seemed to be mostly couples with few families making it a very nice selection for couples looking for a nice hotel from which to set up base to explore the city.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the location. The Harbourview Inn is ideally situated near all of best restaurants and the boardwalk and park are a mere one minute walk away. My husband and I woke up every morning to walk and explore the neighborhood before the heat of the day.

We checked out Sunday morning and it took a little long to get our car as others were checking out as well, but this is minor complaint. All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely recommend it to others as well as stay again the next time we visit Charleston.

3  Thank worldcitygirl
AGM-HarbourViewInn, Assistant General Manager at Harbourview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2009

It is exciting to hear that you had such a delightful stay at the HarbourView Inn over the busy holiday weekend. We are very grateful for your comments regarding the staff and the hotel. The HarbourView Inn is in an ideal location if you like to take a stroll around the town. We hope to see you again on your next visit to historic Charleston.

Reviewed 10 July 2009

What a great hotel! As the name indicates, a great view of the harbor. The service and ameneties of the HVI were exceptional. As for the service, we arrived early in Charleston and the Staff welcomed us to park our car and offered to call us when our room was ready. Check-in/check-out was a breeze and the bellman offered several suggestions for our next stop including directions and restaurants. As for the ameneties, this hotel offers so many things that others do not (or typically charge for if they do) such as internet (wireless) access, wine/cheese reception, milk/cookies, breakfast, robes, and more. Highly recommend --- our stay was in a historic room which was fantastic (very loft apartment feel).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank srbailes

We would like to extend our thanks to you for choosing to stay with us at the HarbourView Inn. It pleases us that you took advantage of all the complimentary amenities the HarbourView Inn offers. We are looking forward to your next trip to the Charleston area.

Reviewed 10 July 2009

Some friends of ours recommended that we stay at the HarbourView Inn the night of our wedding which we did.

We had a great view of the harbor from our Penthouse room which was fabulous and coupled with the great breakfast and phenomenal service that we received, this was the perfect way for us to start this next part of our lives together.

We only stayed at the Hotel for one night so we were not able to experience some of the other offerings, but everything and everybody that we encountered was first class.

We will certainly be returning to the HarbourView Inn the next time we go to Charleston. Thank you for helping make our wedding night so special.’

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

We would like to thank you for your review of the HarbourView Inn. We are excited to be a part of the beginning of your new lives together. We hope you will keep us in mind for your anniversary.

Reviewed 8 July 2009

We had booked at least six hotels in advance of our first weekend getaway to Charleston after reading reviews and guidebooks that indicated there were almost too many good options. We finally narrowed it down to the Harbourview Inn because of its proximity to the Union Pier Passenger Terminal, as the primary reason for our visit was for Harborfest, the tall ships festival. We canceled our other reservations and hoped for the best, and that's exactly what we got:

Outstanding location across from lovely Waterfront Park, quiet and peaceful with a panoramic view of the harbor, yet only steps from the bustle of Market Street shopping and Bay Street restaurants.

Understated elegance in the public areas and rooms (the larger historic wing room, where we moved to during our stay, took our breath away). Tempurpedic beds!

Staff who bent over backward to accommodate us and ensure our satisfaction.

The most complete "continental" breakfast we've ever had, delivered to the comfortable atrium lobby, the privacy of our room, or the rooftop terrace.

Coffee and tea available in the atrium lobby.

Milk and cookies (several varieties!) in the lobby every night.

Afternoon wine and cheese -- we didn't even take advantage of this, but I imagine it's divine!

We even checked out the other hotels we had considered, and confirmed that we had absolutely made the right choice.

There is no better hotel in Charleston!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

We are so glad that you chose the HarbourView Inn after all your research and planning. The Harborfest weekend turned out to be a very exciting time in Charleston. We are grateful for your review of the hotel and all it has to offer. Hopefully, next time you will get to make it to the wine and cheese reception.

Reviewed 8 July 2009

HarbourView Inn was a lovely find for my husband and me. There are many hotels, inns and B & B's in the area, but we could not have picked a better location or finer place than HarbourView. It is within easy walking distance to shops, dining and historic sites. The view was spectacular overlooking the fountain, pier, bay and Waterfront Park. We planned a trip to Charleston to celebrate our Nation's Independence, so we were more than thrilled to find that Patriot's Point was right across the bay; and from our vantage point in our room, we, not only were able to watch the spectacular fireworks on display there, but also the displays from neighboring small towns and islands. The rooms are nicely appointed with comfortable four-poster kind beds, flat screen t.v.'s, robes, fridge, safe, and I-Pod dock/alarm, just to name a few things. I was impressed with their on-demand hot water and wonderfully chilled rooms. They offer breakfast to be served where you choose, whether it be in your room, atrium or rooftop (which also offers a lovely view). Be forewarned, they do not offer eggs. Their service is impeccable from their timely and thorough housekeeping to their most acccommodating managers. The entire staff was excellent -- professional, courteous, helpful, friendly and just plain kind. We never had to wait long for any service, and the staff seemed to anticipate our needs. In this day and age where attitudes and service seem to be on the decline, HarbourView's staff and service were priceless. The computer and printer in the main lobby was an added bonus and made obtaining our boarding passes a breeze. I do highly recommend this Inn to everyone, and you can be sure we'll be back! Just in case there are any doubters out there -- no, I was not pressured into giving this review and will not hide behind the anonymity offered by Trip Advisor -- Christine Powers, Bethany, Oklahoma.

1  Thank SouthernTravelerGal

We appreciate your review and all of your comments of the HarbourView Inn. We are very pleased that you chose to spend the holiday weekend in Charleston. We are even more pleased that you had such a great experience at the HarbourView Inn. We look forward to your next visit to the area.