“Adams Style / Federal Architecture”

Joseph Manigault House
and up
Historical Charleston Tour with Optional Joseph Manigault House Visit
Ranked #45 of 241 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic mansion that is open to the public.
Parrish, Fl
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Adams Style / Federal Architecture”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Originally built in 1803, this home has both simplicity & elegance. It has a curving central staircase. The tour guide was good in giving us a nice historical prospective on who the Manigault's were and their contribution to Charleston's history. I was a little disappointed in that the tour is only 4 rooms.

2 Thank Runner60

Commerce Township, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful home, so-so tour”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Really beautiful home, but the tour was short and not the most interesting of the tours we did in the city. Our guide was knowledgable but not super enthusiastic or interesting. I kept finding myself tuning out. I would have really loved to see the third floor, but it was off limits. The house is a lot smaller than it looks!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Naive historical references to lives of the slaves”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

When the issue of slavery was raised on our tour today, the guide told us the slaves were treated like family. It was also as if this Charlestonian felt she had to be defensive about the past history. Meanwhile, there are statistics such as the following regarding the lives of slaves at the Manigault plantation: "Ninety percent of the children died before they reached age 16. And this estimate doesn't take into account stillbirths or miscarriages. Between 1846 and 1854, there were 52 slave births at Gowrie and 144 slave deaths, for a net loss of 92 African Americans. In spite of this loss in "capital" (the dead slaves were worth at least $44,000), Gowrie still managed to yield a 4% return on investment between 1848 and 1854. And this was not unusual. Why did so many slaves die? The answers are simple – poor health, poor shelter, poor food, and brutal work."

In many tours I took the issue of slavery was glossed over but to state that the family treated its slaves like family is perverse. These tour guides should read about the Grimke sisters account of slavery during their years in the South, etc. They are naive in the extreme.

The house is interesting but the full lives of those who lived there should be fairly treated.

6 Thank Traveler6608
Virginia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Another great historic home”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I think the thing we found most interesting about this home is the Gate Temple entrance in the yard. Something we've never seen before. The home itself was lovely. Small in comparison to some others that we toured in Charleston, but no less lovely in its day, I'm sure. The guide was knowledgeable and pleasant. We toured the home as part of the Heritage Passport, which I recommend. :)

1 Thank bgsualum
Augusta, Georgia, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Rude guide”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Before beginning to tell of the home I must say that the tour may have been better if the guide was nicer. This lady was harsh and rude!!!! She treated us as little children snapping at adults and children alike if they appeared not to be paying attention to her. She tried to make me leave my backpack in a room telling me how heavy it was (it wasn't) and that I would be hot carrying it. After going back and forth with her about me not leaving my back pack we were finally able to proceed with the tour. Afterward it was brought to my attention by someone in the tour that she possibly thought I would take something. smh (glad that didn't cross my mind at the time we were debating about it).

Now the house itself was very interesting (aren't they all). I love the details of the house but would have loved to see more. There was no information given on the grounds other than the little markers on the ground denoting where certain things were (stables, privy, etc. . . )

Visited July 2014