“Casual Sunday evening church service”

St. Michael's Church
Book In Advance
More Info
US$25.00*
and up
Story of Charleston Walking Tour
Ranked #12 of 233 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Charleston's oldest church has been tolling its bells on the hour since 1764. Dynamic Downtown Worship in the Anglican Tradition
Grand Rapids, MI
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Casual Sunday evening church service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We were not able to attend church in the morning so I looked for churches that had an evening service. St. Michael's offered a low-key, casual and lovely service, with beautiful guitar and piano music, a thoughtful sermon, and an obviously faithful, dedicated community. Thank you, St. Michael's, for opening your doors to tourists who need and want to worship when they travel. We were happy to worship with you.

Visited June 2013

Hickman, CA
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“George Washington Prayed Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Wow, what a gorgeous and welcoming church! We stopped in for a visit on an historic walking tour and got to sit in pew 43 where George Washington prayed for his troops. Don't miss the cemetery out back!

Visited June 2013
Crossville, Tennessee
215 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 595 helpful votes
“Serene St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

We were doing a self-guided walking tour along Broad Street in Charleston, when we happened upon St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard. The gate was open, so we entered and immediately a serene calm compelled us to be very quiet as we walked the narrow paths between the graves and family plots.

Many of the founding fathers were interred here, including the Pinckney family. The church has beautiful stained glass windows. This was a break for the real world around us.

Visited May 2013
Henderson, North Carolina
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Beautiful historic church”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

One of many places not to miss.This is jammed packed with so much history. I loved the cedar box pews there. You will want to make a stop here and appreciate the beauty of the exterior and interior.

Visited May 2013
Orlando, Florida
826 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,775 helpful votes
“Architectural masterpiece”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

On Good Friday, understandably I couldn't tour the church, but an usher informed me of a virtual tour at StMichaelsChurch.net. Located at 71 Broad Street (843/723-0603), it's close to Nathaniel Russell House, where the usher suggested I visit. I wasn't dressed appropriately, thus I did not stay for services, but I toured the grounds. On my next Charleston visit, St. Michael's will be my first stop.

Visited March 2013