“Really good!”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Parkwood / Farmfield
Description: The Glass Onion is one of Charleston’s original home grown, locally focused, all-natural restaurants. Owner and Executive Chef Chris Stewart opened the restaurant in 2008 with fellow culinary colleagues. It was one of the first places in town to support local farmers and purveyors with almost every dish and drink. An eighth generation Alabama native, Stewart’s love and appreciation of southern food shows through his menu. His restaurant boasts comfort food that reflects his time growing up in Alabama, as well as New Orleans and Lowcountry influences. The ever-evolving menu changes daily and features as many local, all natural, hormone-free ingredients as possible. The soulful food draws influence from Stewart’s southern heritage and family recipes, especially from his grandmother Jennie Ruth; and is available for lunch, dinner and Saturday brunch.
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had just arrived in the south for the first time. We visited The Glass Onion because it had been featured on the show "Diners, Drive ins and Dives." We had an great experience. I got the soft shell crab on a bed of grits. It was my first time with soft shell crab so I was a little unsure how to eat it but it was good. I loved the grits. My friend had meat loaf and that was excellent. Our waitress was really nice. I say it is a great place!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our second visit to this restaurant. Located in West Ashley, this restaurant is an easy drive from downtown. Fresh local fare is served in a casual dinning room. My husband loves the fried quail, and this is one of the few places we've seen it on the menu. I had the meat loaf served on a bed of mashed potatos. This may be the best I've had, but I will have to do a side by side taste comparison with the meat loaf from Jestine's to make a definitive claim. The service was prompt and friendly and the food was terrific. We will be back for 3rds.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a great surprise! The food I tried that I never thought I would eat, was awesome. I trieda pig ear and it was good! Farm to table food is great and should be appreciated! I will make a return trip here. I am hoping later this year. The server was very knowledgable. Bread pudding to die for, my husband only gave me one little bite. I tried the eggnog bundt cake!! Yummo!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We live on folly and love to head to the glass onion instead of heading downtown when we want farm to table food with much cheaper prices. Always fresh ingredients using what in season locally. The soup of the day is always excellent and I will say we always get the fries (with bernaise for me, ketchup for the husband) and I think they are the best fries in the US!
We also always get a pimento cheese deviled egg while we peruse the menu. Have never had a bad meal, the pasta ragout are wonderful, fish and beef...now I'm getting hungry! Brunch is well worth it too, love the local honey with biscuit.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Visited on a Monday night when there was live music and half price wine. The place doesn't look like too much, but there was a warm welcome and good service.
Between us we had the lamb pasta and the meatloaf, both were good and finished off promptly!
Wasn't quite as impressed with the desserts, but thats being picky. Would go back.

2  Thank BigDraw