“Glass Onion”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Parkwood / Farmfield
Description: The Glass Onion is one of Charleston’s original home grown, locally focused, all-natural restaurants. Owner and Executive Chef Chris Stewart opened the restaurant in 2008 with fellow culinary colleagues. It was one of the first places in town to support local farmers and purveyors with almost every dish and drink. An eighth generation Alabama native, Stewart’s love and appreciation of southern food shows through his menu. His restaurant boasts comfort food that reflects his time growing up in Alabama, as well as New Orleans and Lowcountry influences. The ever-evolving menu changes daily and features as many local, all natural, hormone-free ingredients as possible. The soulful food draws influence from Stewart’s southern heritage and family recipes, especially from his grandmother Jennie Ruth; and is available for lunch, dinner and Saturday brunch.
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Excellent place. The fried green tomatoes were topped with homemade pimento cheese !!
Catfish dinner was great.
Homemade Cole slaw was very good.
Large portions and great service.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We decided to try here as it was featured I. The food network website - glad we did. Gumbo, fried shrimp po' boy and coconut cake - all delicious. Relaxed atmosphere and friendly services.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Stopped in late and decided to take out an order of food back to the hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. The food was deliciously cooked well. I highly recommend the pimento cheese dip and fried green tomatoes.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

We were just going to 'check it out' because it was within a mile of our hotel and we are so glad we made that our dinner choice.

The first impression was not a great one. I thought of many ways the staff could have accommodated us whilst waiting instead, they offered nothing but a sincere smile. I must admit I was hoping that their food would be good since the place looked a bit too casual to expect great offerings. I was pleasantly surprised when some of the food items were no longer available since they claim to cook fresh food...everyday.

We had to change our orders everytime the waitress came back to let us know that yet another item was out and no longer available for the day.
My meal was excellent and suddenly waiting for it seemed worth it and totally fair since their food and service were great.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

We were on vacation in Charleston and typically seek out a few great restaurants in the evening. Nobody was super excited about this place but I told them to have some faith! When we arrived I might have started to doubt myself a little. The outside certainly doesn't scream "fine dining experience." Oh well, we're pot-committed at this point.

I'm a little delayed in writing this review (I can't exactly remember what everyone had) but I'll skip to the end and say that for most of our entire group of 9, it was one of the best if not the best dining experience of having vacationed several times and been to some of the better rated restaurants. Everything was delicious, fresh and I believe they tout themselves as sort of a farm to table experience. Service was super prompt and friendly. A lot of unique options on the menu. Great dining experience for families and the price per person wasn't too bad, I mean it's no Wendy's dollar menu, nor should it be.