“Nice but a bit disappointed in the Breakfast”
Review of Ashley Inn

Ashley Inn
Ranked #16 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed there for 1 night to celebrate our 20th wedding Anniversay. We stayed in Room # 5. The room was nice although it needed some touch up paint and the the pink striped wallpaper was coming off & dirty in some places. The bathroom was small but adequte.
They did have a bottle of champaine with chocolates in the room, which was a nice touch.
I think,most of all I was disappointed in the breakfast. They served Eggs Benedict that morning with a small portion of cut up fruit on the plate.. Coffee & orange juiuce was also served. I was really looking forwd to some of the other breakfast menues they mentioned on their website. I just felt Egg Benedict was not what I was expecting. Although it was good.
Overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ettigirb

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Very lovely. We ended up with the suite at the very top of the building with very steep stairs. Really tough with luggage. Cute well appointed room. Lovely staff. Fabulous breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about stairs...
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The house is beautiful inside and out. There was a nice porch and sitting area off of our room, which was enjoyable to sit and relax at. Our breakfast was tasty and staff was friendly.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here over Memorial Day Weekend. The only difference between this place and the B&Bs that cost 50%+ more is the proximity to the historic district. If you're not against walking 15 minutes to get to the main tourist area, check Ashley Inn out. Barry is great, the service is outstanding and the mansion (inside and out) is
well kept. Would recommend and and visit again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My friend and I had the carriage house, adjacent to the main house. It was wonderful. The breakfast served every morning was always beautiful and gourmet. The owner is a delight to talk to. They were so very accommodating to our every need. I loved it. It is also well located, very close to the Historic District.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I was on my way to Florida and wanted to spend two nights and one day in Charleston, SC to explore. I'm a big fan of priceline, but I could not get a decent deal bidding on hotels in the historic district, so I started looking at bed & breakfasts. I was on a budget and couldn't seem to find anything less than $200 a night, either at hotels or at b&bs, but then I found Room #2 at the Ashley Inn for $139.. I booked it. Room 2 is smaller than the other rooms in the inn, and had a double bed in a small room at the front of the house. When I arrived about 8:30 p.m. no one was there, but they had made arrangements for me to find the key. It seemed odd to go into a big old house with no one there, but I found my little room on the second floor and settled in. The room is pretty tiny, as is the bathroom, but it was a cute little room, nicely decorated with antiques.
The Ashley Inn had good reviews for their breakfasts, and both were served out on the front veranda, and they were very good and filling.
The Inn is located at the edge of the historic area in the hospital district, but in their ad, I saw they had free bicycles to use, so that was appealing. After breakfast the day after I arrived, I got a bicycle and started riding. I thought it was a perfect way to get around. by the way, I'm 59.
I spent the day riding around, checking out everything, down to the battery, then up through the neighborhoods, then over to the harbor for a ride on the Carolina Belle, a tourist boat that went out to Ft. Sumter and back.
I was back in time for wine and snacks at 4 p.m. then went out to dinner nearby.
When I added it all up, it seemed like a good deal, since the price included good hearty breakfasts, free bicycle, free wine and snacks, plus free parking.
I probably wouldn't recommend Room 2 for a couple unless you're madly in love and don't mind cramped quarters, but it was great for a single person. I felt safe there, although it is on a busy street, and sometimes kind of noisy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Thank b.v.
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We spent three nights here on a swing through the south and had a wonderful stay. We stayed in a comfortable well-appointed upstairs room with access to the front piazza – a place to relax and watch the world go by. We were greeted at check in by Susan who walked us through the amenities provided, including the guest refrigerator, icemaker, wine and snacks in the parlor. She got us scheduled into a tour of Charleston which would pick us up at the inn the next morning and return us there.
Breakfast at the Inn was always delicious – omelets, croissant French toast, scrambled eggs, and Susan was very accommodating when we needed to eliminate meat from our breakfast on Ash Wednesday, replacing it with fresh fruit.
The innkeeper Barry joined us a couple of mornings and shared insight into the history of the Ashley Inn and anecdotes into the history of Charleston. Both Barry and Susan helped direct us to restaurants in town where we avoided touristy hype and enjoyed truly fabulous seafood meals, which Charleston abounds with.
While the Inn is not in the historic part of town, there are three trolley stops nearby, and the trolley rides are free throughout town. The stops are not necessarily punctual, so it’s best to be a little conservative and leave a little bit early when heading out to catch the trolley. We also walked several times back and forth to town… it’s not for the weak of feet, but it’s easily doable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple