Barksdale House Inn
US$319
US$263
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$124
All reviewscarriage housethe main housefree parkinggreat locationking streetgeorge streetwithin walking distancebed and breakfastthird floorfresh fruitcookiessome tlcon site parkingfour poster bedbreakfast was deliciousno elevatormeeting st
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Loved this place, so old and homey. The breakfasts were wonderful and the verandah on the garden with the fountain was a lovely place to eat and start the day. We were on the third floor and our room was large and comfortable. The air conditioning was just right and not at all noisy. The only problem we encountered was that stairs were the only way to reach the room. That was sort of a problem when you're older or have any sort of health issues. I wouldn't just run down to get a cup of coffee in the morning because I'd have to take my inhaler to get back upstairs. Also my husband carried all our bags up and really hurt his back doing it. We were later told that the front desk person could have done it. She said she could help us, but did not. This put a real damper on our stay there because my husband could barely walk around and is still limping. When we left, the help did carry our bags down for us. So just remember third floor means climbing stairs several times a day and don't be shy to get one of the girls at the front desk to carry your bags up for you.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were beautifully decorated and large. I think I would base my room choice next time on location. Third floor is the quietest and probably nicest, but you get a lot of stair climbing. Second floor would be a little easier and also quiet. First floor would be easiest but probably noisier for sure. I would not choose first floor of the main building. I know this sounds like the three bears, but I think second floor is "just right". To confuse you a little more, our friend had a room in the back building (I think they called it the field house) on the bottom floor and it was wonderful and he did not complain about noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We were a little nervous after reading some more recent reviews after booking our Room #12; I emailed about the previous review of the room and were told the cleanliness issues had been taken care of, and they had been. I did notice the dirty grout and cracked tiles on the floor, they didn't bother me too much, being from New York City and seeing a lot of old bathrooms . . . given the price.

Our room in the carriage house was more spacious than I expected (yay!), with huge closets. The bed was comfortable and we felt the air conditioning was at a good level (didn't notice excessive noise per another review) and we had the option of a ceiling fan in the room as well. The wi-fi also worked fine in our room for the majority of the time and we used it quite a bit. TV was good too. Free parking was a major perk. We almost didn't leave the lot the whole time there.

We enjoyed the continental breakfast (we weren't expecting much) on the cozy porch/with the fountain outside. The baked item each day was tastey and fruit was good. We happened to be back for the afternoon treat from 4-5 each day - cheese/crackers/fruit one day and cookies another with sweet tea and sherry. Not outstanding, but still a treat for the budget traveler.

So, overall, no real complaints; we were happy with our choice to stay at Barksdale Inn. I would recommend the less expensive rooms here for sure. Although I haven't seen the other rooms, if I were intending to pay more, I'd probably choose another B&B in the area, anticipating some more southern hospitality and higher quality amenities/upkeep.

P.S. Barksdale Inn should offer tissues in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walta5
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was my second time staying here and I was not disappointed. Service was great, rooms were lovely and the complimentary breakfast on the back veranda was a nice treat. Great location as you can walk easily to lots of attractions or just even enjoy walking through the lovely old neighbourhoods.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
BarksdaleGM, General Manager at Barksdale House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

We love to hear when a guest has chosen to return to us! I hope we have become your preferred place to stay in Charleston.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed at the Barksdale Inn because they allowed pets. We had different rooms on different night due to availability but the staff was quite helpful in switching the rooms. My wife did not like the fact that wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom, but that did not bother me in lieu of the fact that the building is over 200 years old. The bed are quite comfortable and breakfast was enough to get you going - wish the coffee had been better but I'm somewhat particular about my coffee. The service was excellent and they always responded to any concerns as quickly as possible. I would definitely stay there upon a return to Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review for our Inn. We are one of the few places in historic district of Charleston that does allow pets. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I really enjoyed our stay at the Barksdale House. It was ideally located in the heart of downtown - right down the street from the Sottile theater where our daughter was performing for a dance competition. We stayed in the Carriage house which felt a little more secluded than the main house. We were there from a Friday to a Monday and I thought the breakfast was great! Saturday and Sunday there was homemade eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns, bacon, cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit along with coffee, tea, juice and milk. Monday, as advertised, was more of a continental breakfast which included cereal, muffins, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit and drinks. The staff was very friendly and helpful and recommended going to the local farmer's market held just a couple of blocks away on Saturday, that certainly added to the great experience. When we weren't watching dance we enjoyed being able to walk pretty much anywhere and stopping back at the Inn for cookies and tea in the afternoon! Our room was charming and clean for an "old house". The only downside was our room only had a queen bed so our daughter had to sleep on the floor but when I booked the room over the phone they told me we were welcome to bring a blowup mattress so it worked out fine. I would definitely recommend especially if you are traveling as a couple or with a friend. It was a great stay for the price and my husband and I are already looking forward to going back some day!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us! I am thrilled that you found our property convenient to the Sottile Theater. I hope your daughter performed well in her dance competition!