“Nice for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
North Carolina
“Nice for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I saw the other reviews of this place complaining about the age of the inn, the service, etc, so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, what I found was you get what you pay for at this particular inn. In other words, the Barksdale House Inn is a great place to stay if you want a clean, inexpensive, great location in downtown Charleston. If you want all of the extra ammenities that other high priced inns offer, then you need to be willing to pay for those ammenities and not expect the Barksdale House Inn to provide things you aren't willing to pay for.You don't pay for all of the benefits that some people complained about not having on trip advisor, so don't expect them. However, the Barksdale House Inn is clean, is a great location, and the people who run it are friendly and welcoming. They allowed us to park in their lot before official check in time, brought our puppy a bowl of water while we decided what to do and made us feel completely at home and welcome. The Barksdale House Inn is a wonderful place to stay at, and as long as you aren't expecting high priced ammenities, then I recommend staying here.

On another note, it is an especially great place to bring your four legged friend because it is only $10 a night and they are kind and welcoming to your pet and they don't make you feel like you are inconveniencing them at all by bringing your pet.

Room Tip: We were in room 5 and it was large and spacious.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Lille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This was my first trip to Charleston and I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. The Barksdale is located between King Street and Meeting Street in the Ansonborough district, a 10 minute walk from the market. The area is quiet (July, so no students around) and secluded (very little street or foot traffic on George Street) and parking is free and on site (a MAJOR plus in Charleston). I wills say that the Barksdale is located just next to a more contemporary apartment building which more than likely houses students. The rooms on the left side of the Inn face the balconies of this building, and noise during the school year might affect some light sleepers. That being said, no other B&B or hotel, in my opinion, offers this exceptional location at this price.

The Inn itself is pre-Victorian, but doesn't lack anything contemporary. The bed (room 8) was a bit on the small side (I am 6'3") but comfortable. The air-conditioning worked, which in July is a must-have. The bathroom was clean and functional. WiFi is free, maybe a bit slow, but it's not as if I am conducting business from a B&B, just checking out maps on my iPhone. I have zero complaints about the building, the staff or the services provided.

Anyone on this site who complains about the state of the premises, what is offered for breakfast or the overall quality of this establishment has far too high of a standard for hotels or bed and breakfasts, especially considering the cost of staying here vs. the cost of staying in a contemporary hotel in Charleston. Personally I could not, nor would not, have asked for more from my stay here. I would come back anytime and recommend this to any friend or family member if I have the chance.

1 Thank Matt G
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This was a cute and quaint B&B in the heart of it all. We walked everywhere which was perfect. We stayed in Room #1. It was super spacious and had everything we needed. The only thing to be aware of is that this is on the first floor near the front door and lobby area where breakfast is served, so it can be a little noisy in the morning. The breakfast on the weekends is great! Eggs, bacon, muffins, grits coffee and juice and fresh fruit. Great way to start the day and save a little money by not having to go out to eat. I would definatley come back and reccomend!

Aiken, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

The best part of my stay was the location...within walking distance of the College of Charleston and other wonderful features of downtown Charleston. The parking is free too! The back garden and porch area is a peaceful hideaway. The rooms were clean. The building is older and in need of some cosmetic work, however the modern necessities of A/C, wireless, and plenty of hot water were all provided (the work that was needed was not a big deal to us). I will definitely stay here again - I have already recommended the Barksdale to other college parents while we were there!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

This was our first B&B experience and we were very impressed!! We loved the history of the house and friendliness of the staff. Location was perfect, close to shopping, restaurants but still felt quiet and cozy. Easy walk to Battery Park, Rainbow Row, and the Market. Free parking was an added bonus - we will definitely stay here again !

Pacifica, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Loved this place, so old and homey. The breakfasts were wonderful and the verandah on the garden with the fountain was a lovely place to eat and start the day. We were on the third floor and our room was large and comfortable. The air conditioning was just right and not at all noisy. The only problem we encountered was that stairs were the only way to reach the room. That was sort of a problem when you're older or have any sort of health issues. I wouldn't just run down to get a cup of coffee in the morning because I'd have to take my inhaler to get back upstairs. Also my husband carried all our bags up and really hurt his back doing it. We were later told that the front desk person could have done it. She said she could help us, but did not. This put a real damper on our stay there because my husband could barely walk around and is still limping. When we left, the help did carry our bags down for us. So just remember third floor means climbing stairs several times a day and don't be shy to get one of the girls at the front desk to carry your bags up for you.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were beautifully decorated and large. I think I would base my room choice next...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We were a little nervous after reading some more recent reviews after booking our Room #12; I emailed about the previous review of the room and were told the cleanliness issues had been taken care of, and they had been. I did notice the dirty grout and cracked tiles on the floor, they didn't bother me too much, being from New York City and seeing a lot of old bathrooms . . . given the price.

Our room in the carriage house was more spacious than I expected (yay!), with huge closets. The bed was comfortable and we felt the air conditioning was at a good level (didn't notice excessive noise per another review) and we had the option of a ceiling fan in the room as well. The wi-fi also worked fine in our room for the majority of the time and we used it quite a bit. TV was good too. Free parking was a major perk. We almost didn't leave the lot the whole time there.

We enjoyed the continental breakfast (we weren't expecting much) on the cozy porch/with the fountain outside. The baked item each day was tastey and fruit was good. We happened to be back for the afternoon treat from 4-5 each day - cheese/crackers/fruit one day and cookies another with sweet tea and sherry. Not outstanding, but still a treat for the budget traveler.

So, overall, no real complaints; we were happy with our choice to stay at Barksdale Inn. I would recommend the less expensive rooms here for sure. Although I haven't seen the other rooms, if I were intending to pay more, I'd probably choose another B&B in the area, anticipating some more southern hospitality and higher quality amenities/upkeep.

P.S. Barksdale Inn should offer tissues in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple