“Don't do it, seriously I'm warning you.”

Barksdale House Inn
Ranked #11 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Don't do it, seriously I'm warning you.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My mom used to say it doesn't cost anything to be clean and nice. But for $200 a night I am expecting both, I got neither. My first look at our room and I wanted to run, that night I was laying in bed thinking "How can I get out of a non refundable room?" In the 4 days here I hardly got any sleep, forget "romantic' which is why we flew all the way from Texas to Charleston. No sex happening in this filthy, dirty, noisy place. First its dirty, really dirty, and so noisy! We stayed in Room 11 in the back on the bottom floor, backed up next to the 24 hr parking lot, the place where drunk college kids stumble back to the college across the street. My breakfast the first morning was freezer burned waffles (did I mention $200 bucks a night????) Floor creaks, bed creaks, walls are paper thin and NO ONE respects the "Shhhhh I'm sleeping" sign I put on the door! I wasn't really I couldn't but it would have been nice if anyone tried to be quiet.
Example: 10p-11p, people above us walking around, neighbors next to us talking, TV's going, parking lot, car alarms beeping, kids screaming, college kids at 1-2 am drunk stumbling yelling to each other, then 5 am every day (except sunday) garbage trucks, beeping, tossing trash cans...noisy trunks....ALL NIGHT LONG it was something. Then in the morning you head over and are faced with a crappy breakfast. Instead of going on and on about how dirty, I'm posting pictures. This place seems to be in a great location, but with it being next to a parking lot and across from the college, and no insulation for noise, its not....keep looking. I saw a Days Inn, and a Hampton Inn, they may cost more, but I'm kicking myself for not looking harder and paying more. This place could be wonderful, but no one there seems to care to put any effort or work into it. I liked Pam the lady putting the breakfast out on the weekends, and my husband liked the fruit. They had free parking. That's all the nice things I can say about this place. It really stinks because that was our one and only trip we will ever make to Charleston. :(

Room Tip: I would stay elsewhere.
2 Thank skalvarado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I had to pay over $300 a night and that was through Expedia and I was very disappointed. The place needs a lot of repair. We were in room 12 in the building in the back. It was spacious, but kind of run down- carpet coming apart, in need of paint, filth in the exhaust fan in the bathroom, still has old toothpaste and yucky stuff in the medicine cabinet (which I just saw another comment from several weeks ago for that room). The courtyard had a pretty fountain, but the slate flooring is also in need of major repair as well as the front porch railing and under roof. The breakfast was good, the location is very good, and I appreciated the free parking. The receptionists seemed nice, but my husband felt that the breakfast hostess was not as friendly.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Becky98
Beaverton
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Barksdale Inn has great potential, but needs some work. The location is good. I cannot say that the breakfast during the week at least was very good. Other than the fresh fruit and readily available coffee, the rest was prepackaged tiny bagels, English muffins and small waffles that were only somewhat edible after toasting. There was no regular bread to toast. The oatmeal came in packets. The afternoon snack was minimal at best and no sherry was visible the days I was there. My small room at the top was cute and the bed was comfortable but the furniture could be refinished and the blinds replaced. The young ladies at the reception were nice and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Horseshoe Valley, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Charming historic house, gracious 9 ft ceilings, finished with historic era furniture. Flooring in bedroom has beautiful 10 inch wide planks with some gaps in between, that are a bit "wonky" and creak. Breakfast was very good - serve yourself cereal, bagels, waffles, fruit, hard boiled eggs. There is Keurig coffee maker with selection of coffee, tea or hot chocolate available any time and afternoon nibbles; enjoy them on the lovely verandah which overlooks a small garden. The Inn is close to the Visitor Center ( 3 blocks) and the free trolley stop which is handy for heading downtown; easy to go downtown to walk,shop, dine then pop home for a rest/change of clothes etc. There is a distinctive "old", slightly musty smell - just part of being an old house. We could not open the window however and A/C was noisy. Lighting in bathroom terrible! Most rooms offer only Queen size beds. It is next door to a parking lot and university building but this did not pose a problem.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank debbie p
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 April 2014

It does not matter where you stay, no room is perfect so the important thing is how problems get handled by the staff. I had an issue in my room and the staff responded immediately. We are so used to bad customer service that I fully expected them to blow me off or give me excuses but they didn’t. This may not sound like a big deal, but the resolution to the problem with my room involved dragging out a ladder and climbing up to the second floor. Barksdale House Inn is comfortable, charming and tastefully decorated. Our room did not have a work desk for your laptop or large screen TV (it was less than 36” I think) or the other amenities you find in large hotel chains but it also does not have the large room price either. Rooms in downtown Charleston can run $300+ a night; our room was $190 and one sort of feels like you are staying in the guest bedroom of a friend. As other’s have said, the parking is free (easily a $30 day perk) and the breakfast is very nice, the little bistro tables on the back porch are set with cloth napkins and tablecloths and there is a walled patio with fountain in the back to sit and enjoy, have a drink (BYOB) or smoke. Now for the cons: Yes, the place is in dire need of some TLC but it is not dirty or falling apart. I ignored it at first thinking it was owned by some couple trying to make a go of it in Charleston but found out that it is owned by a corporation, so rotting wood on the porch, peeling paint, dead plants, and broken things are inexcusable. Also, as others have pointed out, the rooms and entire place could be better cleaned. They are totally comfortable and “clean” but more attention to details could be paid. For example, our bathroom had no place to put stuff except a wall medicine cabinet and stuff had been spilled by a previous visitor (dried toothpaste, lotion ??) but had not been cleaned up. We had room #12 upstairs in the guesthouse and rooms #13 and #12 must share the heat/air setting....nuff said. They tell us they are going to fix this soon, so hopefully….They were very helpful when finding us a jazz club or the nearest CVS. The Barksdale House Inn is not a good as Hilton or Hampton Inn but it is clean, comfortable and charming.

Room Tip: No elevators, rooms upstairs may be quieter, rooms in the back guesthouse certainly are but I didn...
2 Thank FiveBigBlueLakes
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Easy to find, staff helpful and friendly, room was clean,breakfast was good, free parking behind the inn was a definite plus.

Now for a couple negatives. We were there for 4 nights, and the last 2 by 7PM did not have any hot water, lukewarm at best, mentioned it after the first night but did not improve. The room was not like the picture on website, which you pick yourself. We realize the inn is old, and that is why we booked it, but it would have been nice to have an area rug to cover up the some of the protruding nails from the old floor.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Barksdale House is in an ideal spot for shopping and site seeing. The staff are both friendly and knowledgeable and were able to help us with suggestions and directions. There is ample and free off street parking which is a big plus in busy Charleston.
We enjoyed our stay but found the neighborhood noisy. We were awakened one morning at 6 by the garbage collectors and another night about 3 AM by loud students. the inn borders the College of Charleston. Our room was in the annex. It was very large and attractively furnished but in need of some repair and better lighting especially in the bathroom. The weekday breakfasts are adequate...nothing special but you certainly won't be hungry and there is a lovely porch where you can sip coffee and wake up or use the wifi.