“The Best of Charleston”

Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Colorado
“The Best of Charleston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

If you want the BEST of historic Charleston, this is the place to be. It is a historic structure, where the rooms recently underwent major updating renovations. The hotel is centrally located one-half block from "the" intersection of the major streets and immediately adjacent to the best of the restaurants, tourist attractions, and shopping for which Charleston is famous. The narrow, two-lane, one-way street in front of the hotel has limited traffic and, consequently, traffic noise is not a problem. The small number of individually appointed rooms in this boutique hotel assures that you will have something "new" each time you visit. For those touring surrounding attractions with a car, this hotel has something that virtually all Charleston hotels lack -- lots of parking available in a multi-level garage, which is located directly across the street.

Room Tip: My favorite room is number 14. Be sure to ask for it. You will be glad that you did.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about The Elliott House Inn. I’m glad to see that you enjoyed the recent renovations that Elliott House Inn has gone under. Also, as you stated the location cannot be beat. As mentioned, the parking right across the street is ideal, because you can leave your car and walk wherever you want. The parking lot across the street is just a mere twenty dollars per day. Once again, thank you for your gracious words about Elliott House, and we hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Okatie, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed at the Elliott House for three nights during restaurant week. They offered a special discounted rate that couldn't be beat by any other place in the city. Our room was on the second floor of the courtyard. While it was small, it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. They serve a simple breakfast in the courtyard or delivered to your room. You can't beat the location of this inn and you can walk to everything in the city from here.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for choosing The Elliott House on your trip to Charleston. Restaurant week is a great time to enjoy all of Charleston’s best restaurants. We hope you will visit again on your next trip! We would love to have you back!
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

My wife and I are just finishing up a 5 day/4 night stay here at the Elliot House. It has been wonderful and we wouldn't hesitate to return to this inn for our next trip. The staff is very helpful and the inner courtyard is sooo beautiful and relaxing. Complimentary breakfast is brought to your room or in the courtyard daily. The beautifully landscaped hot tub has been used by my wife and I every day! You can't beat the location here as you are steps away from awesome restaurants like Husk, Poogans Porch and 82 Queen Street. Around the corner is King Street and non-stop specialty shopping for blocks on-end. Its a short scenic walk to Rainbow Row and the Battery area.

I can't imagine a better location in Charleston. Our room was so comfortable and quiet. The bed was especially comfortable.

You must plan a stay here soon.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room and tucked in a corner.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about The Elliott House Inn. We are incredibly lucky; our location in the historic district is just steps away from all of Charleston’s best historical sights, restaurants, and shopping. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the courtyard and the relaxing Jacuzzi. We would love to have you back!
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently during a much needed long weekend getaway, and was overall very pleased. We got a great rate through a Groupon type deal which made it even better. As other reviewers have noted, there really isnt a good place to load/unload your vehicle. I didn't find this too bad because the parking deck ($20 Fee) is literally directly across the street. We parked our car when we arrived and never touched it again until we left which is one of our favorite things about Charleston. The location was perfect and within an easy walking distance to everything the city has to offer. The few things that were a little too far away was an easy, and free, trolley ride away. The rooms were recently remodeled and were fantastic. The decor was a perfect blend of historic Charleston and modern convenience. We particularly enjoyed that we had windows on both sides of our room. As an upper level room near the front of the Inn, we had a direct view of the restaurant deck located beside us. I thought this would produce a high noise level at night but we never noticed it. It was acutally a little fun peeking out the window and seeing what the food looked like next door lol. Overall, the Elliott House Inn was just what we wanted for our accomodations in Charleston, a quaint historic inn in a perfect location. We will be back!

Room Tip: Upper level rooms avoid the bug problems other travelers have noted. Upper level rooms near the stre...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodations. Our location does make it easy to see everything that Charleston has to offer. The free trolley does make getting to those few places that are just a bit too far easily accessible, especially in that hot. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Scotia, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Our room was beautiful; four poster bed, armoire, nice linens, big bathroom, and clean to perfection. The bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast delivered to your room. They also provide a wine and cheese hour in the early evening. The location is great as well. If you want to eat at Husk, a fantastic restaurant, it's right next door. And to park the car overnight in the garage across the street, only twenty dollars!
If possible, ask for a room away from the street. We were in room 27, right on the street, and it was noisy in the morning. Also, oddly enough, the towels were a bit scratchy.
We would stay at the Elliot House again the next time we visit Charleston.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about the Elliott House Inn. Room 27 like all the rooms at The Elliott House Inn, it is unique with its own individual characteristics. As you mentioned, we are located centrally between two wonderful restaurants, Husk and 82 Queen. The breakfast is a wonderful amenity, because it will not fill you up, but it will give you the energy you need to explore the “Holy City.” I’m glad that you espoused the idea of returning back to The Elliott House Inn, because we always enjoy seeing familiar faces.
Palm Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for one night while passing through Charleston because I wanted my son to experience a Charleston ghost tour AND I got an incredible Trip Advisor rate of $99 a night! I couldn't believe that found this rate on line the night before we were to arrive but I was unable to book online. I did finally call and secured two rooms for the next night and I was thrilled to be right in the middle of everything on Queen St. After 8 hours of driving I was annoyed that there was no where to park or unload the car so I parked illegally on the street (behind someone else unloading) and went in the office to inquire about this. There were two girls in the office, both checking in another party, and both ignoring me. Neither even looked up to greet me, or offer that they would be with me shortly, just pretended I wasn't there. When I finally was graced with their attention, the 'greeting' was short and almost rude. I asked about unloading and was told I could 'pull in the courtyard' - right. I'm going to get my car into a 12 foot entrance with palm trees on either side right off the street without any assistance with on coming traffic. Sure. So we unloaded on the street - luckily I was with two teenagers who were able to stay with the luggage while I parked in the garage across the street. Our rooms were right in the front, King room on the street and Queen one behind it. The king room was furnished beautifully but I gave it to my boys as I didn't want the street noise. I took the Queen which was furnished nice but very bare in comparison. The bathrooms were be far the best part of the rooms. I assumed that because of the $99 rate these were most likely the worst rooms in the hotel but it was one night. Then there were the bugs - little gnats all over the room. Not just my room but my sons room as well. That evening I went into the office to make them aware that a screen door on the boys room was broken and that there were bugs in the rooms. This information was was met with 'we'll look into it after you leave' which left me feeling like I was a pretty insignificant guest. A spartan breakfast was included in the rate which was nice but only three selections and not much of anything. This is my second visit to Charleston and it is by far one of my favorite spots. Not only is it a beautiful city with lots to see and do but it is also one of the friendliest places I've ever been. Generally the service everywhere is just outstanding - except for Elliot House Inn. Had circumstances been different - a longer stay or a higher rate - I would not have stayed the night in a city where there are so many first class choices. They have potential to be really good but the staff needs friendly lessons and they need to get rid of the bugs!!

Room Tip: We had rooms 10 & 11 which were ground level on the street. Maybe the upper floors where better?
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank PBLorraine
First off, thank you for highlighting how much you enjoyed the beautiful decorations, which are in each of the rooms at the hotel. Each room is a little bit differently decorated, but all are representative of the Bellum-Victorian Period of Charleston History. The rooms may allude to a different time, but as you mentioned the bathrooms are beautiful and recently remodeled and renovated. I’m sorry, that you felt like you needed to unload from the street, because as you mentioned there is a little drive way where one can pull in to unload, which cars and trucks of all sizes have been able to fit, also we do have a bellman on staff that can help with your luggage, so you do not feel like you are left out on the street. Furthermore, I’m truly sorry that you did not feel as if you were greeted appropriately, I know without a doubt that was not the staffs’ intention. As you’ll read in other posts, we pride ourselves on our customer service and attentive details that our guest deserve, I’m sorry we fell short of meeting your expectations. It seems like you enjoyed much of what the city has to offer, and fortunately our location put you right in the middle of everything.

I'm sorry to hear of the gnats/bugs that seemed to occupy your room during your stay. We had an unusually warm winter, which is not common for Charleston. Because of the warmer temperatures, it didn't kill the nesting eggs of the gnats and palmetto bugs. In turn, we've had quite a time with our exterior corridor ground floor rooms experiencing these critters trying to enter the cool dry environment of your room. I'm so sorry for this. Please know that we are on a monthly preventative maintenance contract with our local exterminator to cut down on these types of situations as best as possible.

I hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I definitely recommend the Elliott House Inn. It has the historic Charleston bed and breakfast charm, but not too stuffy. Also the staff was amazing! They answered any of our questions, from the best restaurants to the best historic sites to visit. They couldn't of been any nicer and informative. The wine and cheese hour and the complimentary breakfast is also a plus! It is perfectly located- right in the middle of everything charleston. The public parking deck is across the street, and does cost 20 bucks a day, so that is something to plan ahead for.
This is the type of place you will want to stay at, again and again. We loved it, and I'm pretty sure you will too!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Wow! Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay with us. Our location and staff make this property a fantastic choice for lodging in downtown Charleston. I’m so happy to read that you’ll be back to visit – we’d be happy to have you back and welcome you with open arms!!