“Quaint B&B downtown Charleston.”

The Elliott House Inn
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stopped in for one night while extending our beach holiday to visit downtown. The staff were very helpful and the room was clean and convenient to downtown. It was a little noisy in the morning when the trash collectors started working. As with most Charleston downtown places parking was in a public lot but fairly convenient to the B&B. Breakfast was continental-nothing special-in the courtyard.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you so much for your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased to see that the staff was able to help you with any questions that you had about your time in the city. The best thing to do in Charleston is to explore, and the location is perfect for any destination you would like to tour. When booking a room at the Elliott House, we have divided the rooms by their location to the street, to help with people concerned about noise from the early morning traffic. We are surrounded by four fantastic restaurants that do early morning deliveries. The breakfast that we provide is nice and lite to fill you up just enough to give you the energy you need to explore the city. The parking lot is conveniently located right across the street at a rate of twenty dollars for a twenty four hour period. Come back and visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Elliott House Inn

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have stayed here twice and will come back whenever I am in Charleston. Great staff go out of their way to be helpful. Clean rooms, nice beds and linens, happy hour and breakfast in the courtyard made for some good downtime from our adventures.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

What a nice review! We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Clean rooms and great service should be an expectation at every lodging choice and I’m happy that we met those expectations. Come stay with us again next time you’re in town, we’d love to have you.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great location! Be aware of the $20 parking fee in the garage across the street. I missed the wine and cheese reception but enjoyed my complimentary room service breakfast. Unless you have a blackout mask DO NOT stay in the 2nd floor room facing Queen street as the spotlights on the building light up your room to the degree you could read a book by. Perhaps they have added blackout blinds or curtains since my stay. Worst night of sleep that I can recall in a hotel room because of the light.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

We appreciate you staying with us while visiting Charleston! We have taken your recommendations into account and have already began preparations to help with the light entering that room. I think that you’ll find that this will greatly benefit you having a pleasant and restful night’s sleep, that you deserve. Please give us another try and next time try booking a room located in our “courtyard”. I think you’ll find it to be more quiet with less street lights entering your room.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We made a last-minute decision to visit Charleston and found the city to be very booked up. We felt lucky to find a room at the Elliott House, which is housed in a charming old building. The location is excellent: in the heart of the historic district, very near to tons of restaurants, and across the street from a parking garage. There is a lovely large, wisteria-covered courtyard, where wine and cheese are served in the evenings and breakfast can be enjoyed in the mornings. Our room (#33) on the third floor was comfortable, but quite small, and the one window looked directly into the wall of a neighboring house a couple of feet away. You have to order breakfast the evening before, specifying when and where you want to eat it (outdoors in the courtyard or in the room are your only options); the selection and quantity of food offered is minimal. While I enjoyed our stay, I will probably look for alternative accommodations the next time I visit Charleston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with us. While we can’t necessarily control the location and views from your room, we do have control over the breakfast selections and I’m sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Please know that we are taking your opinions into account as we begin to make modifications to our breakfast offerings. I would encourage the author of this review to come back again and visit us. I think you’ll find that some of the changes we are making will leave you with a great impression of the property.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

There were eight us staying at this charming historic inn for our trip that is every two years. Some shared rooms and others had their own courtyard rooms all nestled at the back corner. I was lucky to have unit 18 which turned out to be my favorite of all that I viewed. We were there during the week shortly after snowstorm Atlas and tropical storm Karen blew through the area so we had one mean blustery day. The Inn is on Queen between 82 Queen and 76 Queen (HUSK) then 72 Queen Poogan's Porch so we didn't go far for a couple of evenings for dinner. The staff particularly, Neal Cook couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. We had Neal as a walking tour guide on his day off which was an amazing couple of hours tour.

Room Tip: As I was advised get a king courtyard room and you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

How lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! Unit 18 is one of our courtyard view king bed guest rooms. I agree that the location of that room coupled with the private patio can’t be beat! We are VERY fortunate to have Neal apart of our team and agree that he is gifted man with an exceptional walking tour of the city. Don’t wait too long to come back and visit. We thoroughly enjoyed having you as our guest.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have been coming to the Elliott House for over 20 years off and on. We hadn't been for about 8 years and decided to go for a night for a quick getaway. It is a GREAT location, but for the money it is disappointing. Although the bed is very comfortable, you can barely turn around in the bathroom. Seriously, there is NOWHERE to put any toiletries at all. I actually had to put them on the couch right outside the bathroom and use the mirror out there also! They have "tried" to do renovations and tried to update the bathrooms, but to no avail. It is also very musty smelling. We will not be staying there again, unfortunately, which is sad because of our history at the Inn. Also, the staff was not very friendly at all, and breakfast was the bare minimum. We are trying the Meeting Street Inn in a few weeks because we have friends that have RAVED about it...we'll see!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I’m sorry to read about your disappointing stay with us. While we can’t control the size of the rooms, I would like future potential patrons to understand that you are staying in a historic inn that dates back to the 1800’s. With that being said, smaller rooms and no closet space is expected here. I’m very sorry to read that the staff were not friendly to you. This is not a common issue that I’ve had to deal with, but please know that I will personally address this with every member of our staff. Our attempt at renovations turned out quite nicely! Renovated bathrooms, new wood flooring, new mattresses, new a/c units were all introduced to the property before we reopened 2 years ago. I would hope that the author of this review would give us another try while visiting Charleston. I understand that we may not be a good fit for everyone, but I would hope that after visiting EHI for over 20 years, you would reconsider your opinion of staying with us again.

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here half a dozen times over the years and have always been satisfied. Location is great and staff is always professional. Parking is right across the street and you can pull your car right onto EHI to load and unload your car. This stay was a little different in that we have a few negatives to note. While looking under bed and furniture for a lost earring I saw a colony of dust bunnies. Also the room smelled dank and musty, not sure if AC or not, but it did give us pause.....I also suggest they install full length mirrors on back of bathroom door. We would also have loved a ceiling fan over our bed. We stayed in room 16 and it was quiet except for live band at wedding next door. Try rooms 19 and 20 which have small patios in rear. Inn has hot tub for those who like that sort of thing.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank listerqueen
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to read that you have frequent our property so much! I am so sorry that the smell in the room was unpleasant and you had dust under you bed. As you can see from previous comments left from guests, the quality of cleaning has not been a common issue, so I am deeply sorry that this happened to you. Please make sure that you continue to stay with us, we would love to have you back and experience some of your favorite rooms you’ve suggested with your comments.