“Trading on it's great location”

The Elliott House Inn
Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Trading on it's great location”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Could not fault location, fantastic for all of down town Charleston and right opposite a car park which for a city centre was great. Bed was very comfortable. Wifi included - also a plus. Apart from that it was just ok to be honest, whole place felt very tired and in need of some tlc. Bathroom small, towels small and no heated towel rail, although to be fair fresh towels were willingly provided. Staff were friendly once you made the effort but didn't go out of their way. Housekeeping was shoddy - dirty glasses not replaced, beds not well made. Breakfast was poor to be honest and the courtyard, whilst pleasant could have been cleaned before breakfast. Noise from restaurant next door on 2 mornings out of 3 was pretty annoying too. Shame really, expected better as not cheap.

Room Tip: Upstairs at the back are quietest .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annie S
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate you noting not having a heated towel rail, this honestly has not been something that previous guests have requested, however I think it’s certainly worth exploring for upgrading the rooms in the coming months. I appreciate the staff were attentive, I’m sorry you felt compelled to engage with them before they engaged with you, as you can see from our previous reviews, our customer service is something that we really pride ourselves on. I wish that you would have addressed your concerns with me prior to your departure. I have a good feeling that had we been given an opportunity we could have really provided you with the top notch service that you deserve. I’m very sorry and hope that next time you visit the USA you take the time to come back to Charleston and visit, we’d love to have you back again with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Salalah, Oman
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, just a couple blocks walk from everything. Super friendly staff. Just amazing courtyard, eating our breakfast out there was so nice. The room was pristine and the bed was so comfy! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Littlefoot2985
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time share with us about your stay. I’m excited to see that the staff was friendly and helpful for you during your stay. We take pride in how clean our rooms look, so thank you for sharing about how clean your room was during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Elliot House Inn was the perfect location. Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean with Charelston charm. However ,our first night after walking all day and touring Charelston in the heat, we came back to no Air condition. It was very difficult to rest up for my next day in Charelston. A fan with ice was their late night solution. All rooms were booked so we had to stay in this room.The staff was friendly but could only give us a credit of $50. The next morning they sent breakfast to our room and forgot the grapefruit. Sometimes the minor details on a vacation matter. If the AC never broke or a caring manager would have called me. I would have recommened to all. I am a hospitality manager and would have done more to be sure the guest enjoyed their stay regardless. The next night was great.

Room Tip: Corner room was spacious.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with others about your recent stay at The Elliott House Inn. Charleston is a wonderful city that will keep you touring for hours. It is unfortunate that the air condition went out on you after you got back from your pub tour at 1:00 AM in the morning, we are deeply sorry about that. I’m glad to see that the night desk man was able to help out the best he could. The air-conditioning unit was promptly turned back on at 7:15 am, once our maintenance man arrived. Once again, I’m sorry that this was an issue during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay with us, and I’m thoroughly excited to see that the staff was able to help you with your stay and would love to welcome you back again!
Taplow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the middle of July to celebrate his birthday. It was a really busy and expensive time to try and stay in Charleston but we were really happy with the Elliott House Inn. Check in was quick and they even called us to let us know the room was ready. The inn is charming and in a perfect location next to some of my favourite restaurants as well being steps away from both the shopping and the historic district. Our room was better than we were expecting and although the breakfast selection is small, they serve it in the room or on the patio which is a nice touch. We would definitely stay here again!

3 Thank Laura W
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us at The Elliott House Inn. As mentioned, we are located right in the middle of downtown Charleston. The breakfast is something lite to get you up and get you going, so that way you have some energy to explore this fantastic city. The rooms are a little smaller than typical hotel rooms, because it was a single private residence that was built in the 1860s. If you are looking for a larger room the next time you stay with us, book one of our Courtyard King Rooms, those rooms are a bit roomier. Once again thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay with us, look forward to seeing you again soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Elliott House Inn for 2 nights celebrating his birthday. Upon our very early arrival (we arrived in the city at 8 am but check in wasn't until 3 pm) we met Neal at the front desk who is amazingly awesome and full of wonderful information. He told us everything from where to dine, what tours were interesting, local activities and where to fish (for the hubby). We hadn't brought our fishing poles so he went the extra mile and brought his own poles for us to borrow the next day!

Neal allowed us to leave our luggage and go out for the day. When we came back, our room was ready and Neal had had our luggage transferred to our room. There was also a bottle of champagne chilling with a Happy Birthday note! How sweet is that! We weren't expecting it and were very appreciative of it. Matthew was equally as wonderful when we had opportunity to talk to him. You just don't get better customer service than the Elliott House!

We enjoyed breakfast in bed each morning. Although we had the option of having it brought to us in the courtyard. The location is within walking distance to anything and everything you would want to see or do in Charleston and there are several great restaurants just steps away from their front door. We parked our car in the garage across the street when we arrived and didn't use it again until we checked out and were driving back home!

The room is definitely "cozy" which was fine for us and the bathroom was a decent size with a great shower head. But if you're looking for a larger bedroom, while the bed is quite comfortable, the size of the room is on the small side.

The jacuzzi was a nice treat at the end of a long day of sightseeing. Very hot and quite comfortable. Just make sure you keep the noise down as we had the front desk person come to tell us he had gotten complaints although we felt like we had been pretty quiet. LOL

2 Thank danak71
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
First off, thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The Elliott House Inn. I’m so glad to see that you were able to enjoy your time not only in Charleston, but here at the Inn as well. I’m thoroughly excited that Neal was able to help you out with your plans before and after you checked-in, and even more satisfied that Matthew was able to assist you as well. The breakfast is a great lite option to begin your day with, so that way you have the energy to go and explore all the beautiful sights of Charleston that are just moments away, because of the convenient location. Once you park your car, you will not need it again. The Inn does not provide parking, but there is the county parking deck across the street, for just twenty dollars a day. As mention by the reviewer, the outdoor heated Jacuzzi is a great way to relax your feet after a long day of sightseeing. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us, and we can’t wait to see you again in the future!
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for a night. Was looking for charm. Would have been off with a chain. No parking, the worlds smallest "pool", a blinking light on the phone that even the maintenance man could not fix set the stage. The second "B" in "b&b" means one bagel and one hard-boiled egg. We needed to go fund an actual breakfast.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank wadleyfla
GMofEHI, Manager at The Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
It’s not a pool!!!! I’m so sorry that you assumed it was. It’s actually a rather large outdoor heated Jacuzzi. Due to health regulations, it must remain a hot tub, even during the warmer summer months. I apologize that you got the impression that we were a B&B. We’re actually an Inn that provides a complimentary continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception, all that’s included with the room rate! We understand that it’s not a full breakfast, but something to get you up and going to enjoy a day of walking and sightseeing in our beautiful city. I apologize for not meeting your expectations, that was never our intention. Give us another try! I have a feeling that now that you have full understanding of our amenities and product that you’ll actually enjoy staying with us.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The service was top notch and the breakfast was nice as well as the courtyard. Parking is located across the street and the cost is $20.00 a day. I was not impressed with the bathroom. That is the very first thing that I look at when I first arrive in my room as well as the bed. I immediately noticed how dirty the bathroom door was, there were black and brown finger prints and smears on the door, thank God I bought Clorox wipes! The walls in the bathrooms were in poor condition, they need to either need a touch up or a new coat of paint all together. The tiles and grout need to be scrubbed down with bleach, including the corners on the floor beside the tub. The toilet seat needed to be replaced because the paint was coming off of it. I'm sorry but for this type of place, I expected much better as far as cleanliness. Just like the other viewer said, we also noticed hairs on our sheets and pillows upon arrival (we always do a thorough inspection at any hotel when we first arrive). When I pulled the sheets back there was an ant crawling towards the pillow...at least it was just one. I know that this place is historical, but the price definitely does not match up for what I saw this past week.

Room Tip: *You will be paying $20.00 a day for parking which is located across the street.
3 Thank Michelle807
I appreciate you providing such a candid review of your stay. I’m very sorry that the property was not up to par with your expectations. Had we been notified while you were onsite, I have a feeling that we could have provided you with the pleasant and clean experience that you deserve while staying at Elliott House. Experiencing dirty doors and hairs on the bed, should not be something that you should have deal with, I’m truly sorry about that. I am pleased to read that the service exceeded what you expected. While you still experienced unfortunate events, I’m happy to see that we were able to make up for the shortfalls with our exceptional staff. Give us another try, we’d love another opportunity to provide you with the service and experience that you deserve.