“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful B&B”

John Rutledge House Inn
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My wife and I have stayed in B&B's from Digby Nova Scotia to St. Mary's on the Georgia Coast and the John Rutledge House was by far the best! Stunning room, knowledgeable and firendly staff, terriffic location, and the breakfast!!

Don & Romy

Room Tip: Our upstairs room in the carrige house was extermely quiet and much closer to the parking lot. From...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review. What an honor to be named the best bed and breakfast among these other wonderful establishments. I am thrilled that you and your husband had such a great time here at the inn. We look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

If walking around the grand homes in Charleston makes you want to stay in one, check into this place. I stayed in a room in the main house. It was drop dead gorgeous. The afternoon tea in the ballroom is a pleasant affair, with nice snacks and complimentary port or sherry. I had my breakfast ordered the night before and delivered to my room. The food was above average and eating in the amazing room was very romantic. The staff was very polite. Make sure you book a parking spot as parking is impossible in Charleston. My only complaint would be that the bathroom could have used some sprucing up. However, I felt I got great value for the money and plan on staying again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

I am thrilled that you enjoyed a "grand stay" here at the John Rutledge House Inn. Thank you for your high praise and review of our breakfast and afternoon tea. Those are services that our staff truly enjoy providing to guests. Thank you for your note about the bathroom. We take all feedback into consideration as we constantly strive for 100% guest satisfaction. We hope you're able to visit again and partake in the 250th Anniversary Celebrations planned for 2013.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We just had a wonderful two night stay at the John Rutledge. The staff, from Kathy, the manager, to the housekeeping staff did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. Breakfast was delicious and generous and served right on time. Sherry and Port in the ballroom or on the porch overlooking Broad Street was an excellent way to relax and get ready for the evening. The location is perfect-within walking distance of everything, and parking, a common problem in Charleston, was never an issue at the Inn. I thought it was a good value as well, and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building, as opposed to the annex are preferred, but all are fine
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

It sounds like you had a wonderful stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate your high praise and recommendation. I am thrilled that our staff left such a lasting impression and you enjoyed the complimentary extras we offer. We certainly look forward to hosting you again and hope you're able to partake in our 250th Anniversary Celebration in 2013.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The location was great--we were within easy walking distance of everything we wanted to do. We ditched the car when we got there and didn't need to use it at all. Our room was fantastic, with beautiful furnishings, and was very comfortable and quiet. We found a neat little bonus in our room--the old books displayed on the fireplace mantel were fascinating. The bed was extremely comfortable. It was really nice to have the option to have breakfast delivered to our room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the John Rutledge Suite (one of the Grand Suites in the main house) and it was well wor...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

I am thrilled that you had such a lovely stay at the John Rutledge House Inn and enjoyed our close proximity to many downtown attractions. I am so glad that you enjoyed the decor, charm and comfort of the John Rutledge Suite. We hope you're able to return in 2013 to celebrate the home's 250th anniversary. Thank you for the outstanding review.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is an old inn with charm but a little frayed round the edges. Some wallpaper is coming undone and the bathrooms are not what you would call 'high spec'. Having said that, the John Rutledge suite we stayed in was spacious and very nicely furnished. You can feel the history in the place and the innkeeper was very welcoming, her staff extremely helpful. Breakfast I personally did not enjoy very much, but it was nothing to complain about; I'm probably just fussy...Unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem with the WiFi at all. It was efficient on all my three devices. Noise is an issue, as the floor boards announce every person going up or down the stairs, but there again, it IS an old inn. The drawing room was intimate and we met some nice fellow travellers, with whom to exchange thoughts and ideas.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor will be the quietest.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. I take great pride in our staff and always enjoy reading such fantastic notes about their service. I know you have read previous reviews, so you might already be aware that we took many measures to soundproof the building with the greatest care during its restoration. I do appreciate your feedback on the issue as we are constantly striving to improve. I am so glad that overall, you had a wonderful stay at the inn. We look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

We had a mother / daughter trip to Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah. I did a lot of research on hotels. I'm so glad we decided to stay at the Rutledge House. It was in a great location. The house is beautiful. We had a suite on the top floor which was beautiful and had a great view of the cathedral. The beds were the most comfortable on the whole trip. The staff is great too, very helpful. We appreciated the cooler of chilled water available at any time, the afternoon tea and evening sherry service. The breakfast was great. You can order anything you want and have it anywhere in the Inn or in your room. The only negative is that the coffee was not good. We kept asking for strong coffee but it was very weak tasting. That was unfortunate. I'm a tea drinker and the water for the hot tea tasted metallic.I couldn't drink it. Also, the housekeeping could be a little better. They didn't empty the trash and please clean the close up mirror in the bathrooms. So for that I would give it 4 and 1/2 circles. Otherwise I highly recommend staying at the Rutledge. We had a wonderful time in Charleston.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for a lovely review of your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. We were thrilled to host such a special trip for you and your daughter. I am thrilled that you were happy with your hotel choice. I appreciate your feedback on areas of improvement. We always take these notes into consideration, as we strive for 100% guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Three of my patients here in So Cal mentioned how much they enjoyed Charleston, and my wife and I were celebrating 25 years of marriage, so we thought we would explore a part of the South we had not seen ... my hygienist had been to the Rutledge House and recommended it highly, and we now understand why. History, architectural delights, a most helpful staff, room, service, fabulous breakfasts and we could walk everywhere we wished, leaving our rental car parked in the lot. A wonderful stay, and wonderful city!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

It was a treat to host your anniversary celebration and first visit to Charleston here at the Inn. Myself and my staff are thrilled that the John Rutledge House Inn lived up to your expectations. You'll have to visit us again in the new year. We have many celebrations planned for the home's 250th anniversary. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We look forward to hosting you again!