“Great place”

Kings Courtyard Inn
Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 5 December 2012

LOVED this hotel! My friend and I had a double room, it was spacious, clean, nicely furnished, and had a working fireplace.(!) A really charming room. Our friends had a king room, it was just as nice as ours. We enjoyed the wine and cheese hour, and the complimentary breakfast. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Not just polite, but actually very friendly. The location is perfect. I'm only sorry the weather was bad, we would have spent time in the lovely courtyard. I would definitely recommend Kings Courtyard, and will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debra
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review about your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am thrilled to read that our accommodations suited both you and your traveling companion so well. I'm sorry to hear that the weather was not in your favor, but am glad that you had a wonderful trip nonetheless. Thank you for your kind note about our staff. They are a wonderful team that I am very proud of. We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Our family spent Thanksgiving in Charleston this year and stayed at the Kings Courtyard. It suited our needs perfectly. The rooms were a nice size, especially for an historic hotel, and beautifully appointed with reproduction furniture in keeping with Charleston's ambiance. The location could not be beat, right in the middle of the historic district. I had been concerned about noise, but the hotel is recessed between Kings and Meeting Street and was blissfully quiet. We enjoyed the complimentary wine and cheese and the evening sherry, as well as the free continental breakfast. Hot items are available, at an extra but fair charge. The concierge staff was extremely helpful, making multiple calls to secure us a spot on a walking tour. It was a bit chilly for us to enjoy the courtyards, but we did appreciate their ambiance and sound of the fountains whenever we passed through. We will definitely be back the next time we are in Charleston.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms on the courtyard don't get a lot of sunlight. Do not be afraid to take a r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NCNummi3
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you for such an outstanding review. I am thrilled that your family enjoyed such a memorable Thanksgiving here at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that our accommodations suited the group so well. It sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our complimentary extras and enjoyed our central location. We hope to see you all back in Charleston soon. Thank you for the recommendation.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the cozy charm this property exhibited. I went with friends for a "girls weekend" and we shared a 2 bedroom suite that was perfect for our needs. The complementary breakfast was a nice touch and the outdoor courtyards were great for the afternoon wine and light appetizer reception. It is centrally located and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Thank you for your recommendation of the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that our hotel served as an excellent destination for your girls' weekend trip. Our guests find that suites provide a comfortable and convenient space for group travel. We appreciate your wonderful review and certainly look forward to hosting you again. We hope that a girls weekend here at the Inn will become a new tradition in years to come.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Over Thanksgiving, my husband, dog and I drove to Florida to visit family. It was our first trip with the dog and our first experience with "dog friendly" hotels. Our experience ran the gamut from welcoming to tolerant. The Kings Courtyard Inn is tolerant.
The hotel's location is great -- right in the center of the action. There is a parking lot adjacent to the hotel.
When I called to make the reservation and to check that they did indeed welcome dogs, I spoke with a woman named Lisa -- she was lovely and based on my conversation with her, we were excited for our stay.
I would say that's where our positive experience ended. Some of it based on our timing and some of it based on staff and the room.
Upon checking in, I felt less than welcomed, I felt like an imposition. The gentleman at the front desk allowed another woman to jump in front of me with a question while I waited to check in. He seemed annoyed by both me and our dog. When I spoke with Lisa she indicated there would be a list of dog friendly restaurants waiting for us -- there wasn't. After some pressing, the gentleman came up with a couple of suggestions one was Bubba Gumps.
Our room was 402 -- it was off the courtyard, worn and dark -- the windows faced an alley. I understand that it's what you get when you travel with a dog. The head board was loose, the in-room fridge dirty and unstable -- like the one I had in college. I wanted to open the window, but neither had a screen. When your window is street level and opens to an alley, you want SOME protection.
They offer a little social hour from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. -- we missed it, they were serving their last guests as we walked in about 6:15 p.m and even though the wine and the glasses were out -- it was too late.
There is no restaurant or room service -- we got carry out at Toast a little restaurant around the corner. They were very nice and the food was good -- we ate in our room.
We left early the next morning. There was coffee in the lobby, which was nice, but the guy at the front desk barely noticed us at check out.
It was too expensive for the experience. Maybe other rooms are nicer, maybe other guests feel more welcome, but if you're traveling with a pet -- I would not consider this an option. Based on our experience, I would not return, even without a pet.

Room Tip: The rooms off the courtyard are dark and the windows open to an alley.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kaj2600

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed our downtown location. We take each TripAdvisor comment very seriously, so I am sorry to read about your negative experiences. I can assure you that we treat all guests with the same care and respect- whether they are traveling with or without a pet. Although we do not have a restaurant on site, we do have a breakfast room and also offer room service during morning hours. I’m sorry that you were not aware of this complimentary service. We appreciate your feedback and have spoken to the gentleman mentioned in your comment. We constantly strive to improve our guest experience and value your review.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I hadn't been to Charleston in over 20 years, and were looking forward to a romantic getaway. We chose the 'Kings Courtyard Inn' in the historic part of town, and are very glad we did. My wife just loved the Suite that we had reserved. And the service was outstanding. There were two people (on staff) that made our stay that much more astonishing - James (night manager) and Takia (at breakfast). Thank you for helping to make our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Our Suite was well worth the money!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave S
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for choosing to spend such a special weekend at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I hope Charleston was just as wonderful as you remembered. I am glad that you both enjoyed your suite and am thrilled that James and Takia delivered excellent service. We have a wonderful team at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I hope you are able to visit us again, sooner rather than later. Thank you for the recommendation.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

The Kings Courtyard is not the plushest, most luxuriant hotel in Charleston. It is very comfortable, well located, quiet, and charming. And it has staff who will go the extra mile to be helpful and make your stay more pleasant. It is the staff that really sets this hotel apart. My visit occurred during the week of Hurricane Sandy, and I needed all of the help I could muster to get my disrupted travel plans ironed out. The staff at Kings Courtyard was extraordinary in providing that assistance in a professional and immediate manner. That alone is worth a stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Agleiner

I am sorry to hear that your travel plans were disrupted due to Hurricane Sandy but am so proud that our staff was helpful and accommodating in the midst of the storm. As owner, I too agree that our staff makes the inn stand out among the rest. I will be sure to share your testimonial with our team. I hope you arrived home safely and look forward to hosting future visits to Charleston.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Appears worn out. To expensive for the quality. Breakfast was fair. Sherry in the evening was good. Staff fair service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for your feedback on the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad you enjoyed our Southern hospitality, staff and complimentary amenities. I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. We believe that our room rates are in line with our location and the quality of service our staff delivers. We appreciate your review.