“Not worth the money”

Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Florida
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 29 October 2008

For the price we paid at this hotel, we expected the room to be much nicer than it was. The room was musty smelling and the beds were nothing to write home about, but the worst was the bathroom. The bathroom smelled liked urine. We used an entire bottle of body spray in 3 days to try and mask the smell. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank crp0916

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Piperton, TN
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Upon checking into the King's Courtyard on Friday evening, to my dismay I found that the fountains, as well as, the hot tub were dirty and green. I was somewhat dismayed that my first impression of the Inn after viewing it online must be wrong; however, I decided that in the southern humidity, algae is not easily controlled. I do think that a hot tub should be pristene - especially in the fall and winter when they are used more frequently by guest.

Anyway, my biggest shock came the next morning when I discovered black curly "pubic" hairs in the bathtub - not just one but many. The discovery of a dirty tub made me then question whether the bed sheets were clean. I called down to the front desk and asked that someone come clean the tub - housekeeping showed up with a spray bottle and a rag. I would have expected better cleaning supplies.

I then called downstairs and informed them I needed to checkout. They said they'd question the manager and let me know. After receiving the "okay", I checked out and asked for a credit due to the uncleanliness of the room - I was given a $36.00 credit. I do not feel that is appropriate given the situation.

The entire area was less than acceptable by my standards - I only wanted an experience in an older hotel/Inn - but I demand that wherever I stay it must be clean. I've stayed in many bed and breakfasts before but none left such a bad impression as the King's Courtyard.

• Liked — Breakfast delievered to our room
  • Disliked — The
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Kings Courtyard to celebrate our anniversary in August. The room was large with a very comfortable king sized, canopied bed. The bathroom was very clean and had recently been remodeled. The staff is very friendly and helpful and even left us some cookies for our anniversary. The breakfast that was included was light but filling and consisted of yogurt and cereal. You can eat in one of the courtyards, the breakfast room or they will deliver it to your room for no charge. The location was great. It was only a few blocks from the market and the shops on King Street. There is a wonderful restaurant, 82 Queen just around the corner. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone going to Charleston.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Usually my husband and I stay in B&B's on the battery, but due to an injury, he couldn't climb stairs this visit. We didn't want to stay in a chain hotel, after all this is the historic district, so we found this wonderful compromise. The King's courtyard has an elevator and handicapped shower chair available, but was built in 1853, so the accomodations are as magnificent as the battery homes - quality mouldings, high ceilings, tall antique windows, lovely tapestries, fireplaces in the rooms, (and a wide screen lcd tv to bring it to modern standards!). Breakfast by the hot tub was lovely and they have a convenient parking lot just behind the inn. You step out of the front door and are on King Street proper and can walk to shopping or the water features. The staff are very friendly and are proud of their lovely inn and see to its care and cleanliness.

• Liked — Elevator, nice air conditioning, rooms smelled fresh and were very clean and beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2008

We booked the Kings Courtyard from the tourist centre on the I-95 the day before we drove to Charleston. We found it eventually after driving round Charleston's one-way system a few times. The car park was at the back of the hotel and was reasonably priced (compared to Washington DC!)
The reception area was very nice located at the back of the hotel, with complimentary sherry as we checked in. Staff were very helpful, giving lots of advice on the city and where to eat.
Our suite was on the first floor, the Azalea Room overlooking King Street. The suite consisted of a large bedroom with four poster bed, bathroom behind the bedroom and a huge separate lounge. All rooms in our suite were furnished with period pieces, it was like we were staying in a Charleston mansion.

In the early evening there was complimentary wine tasting with snacks. The location of the hotel was ideal for seeing Charleston on foot. Charleston is great to walk around admiring all the large period houses and pretty gardens. Lots of restaurants close to the hotel, but we did notice that the streets were very quiet in the evening - and we were there on a Saturday night! Night life is obviously genteel rather than raucous.

Breakfast was delivered to our room and was on time and very nice.

In summary, we would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly go back if we visited this lovely city again.

• Stayed July 2008
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We just returned from beautiful Charleston where we stayed at the Kings Courtyard Inn and loved it. What a great location...it doesn't get better if you want to be centrally located. The staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions and always responded very promptly and graciously to any of our requests. The room was charming and clean and everything you could need (ironing board, hairdryer, etc) is already there. The afternoon wine and cheese is a wonderful way to start the dinner hour and the breakfast was delicious and very fairly priced. One morning we opted to just have the complimentary breakfast and realized that could have sufficed just fine the other days instead of the egg breakfast we paid for the days before. We'll most definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Charlotte,NC
Reviewed 17 June 2008

Another great stay at Kings Courtyard Inn! This was our 5th stay in the past 4 years.We love it! The room was great,clean.We were overlooking King St.We had breakfast brought to the room every morning,It was very good.As usual everyone was very nice and helpful.It could not be in a better location.Right in the middle of everything.We went to the SC Aquarium this trip and went on a behind the scenes tour for the sea turtle rescue hospital.It was great.We did do a bus tour with Charleston Tours this time,we did not enjoy it at all ! Don't waste your money.The carriage tours are 100% better and alot more fun.We are so looking forward to our next Charleston trip and Kings Courtyard Inn.

• Liked — The setting,the people,soft beds,clean,good breakfast,large windows
  • Disliked — cannot open windows any more because of sound proofing glass
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family