“Lovely hotel in a really cool part of Charleston!”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #15 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Phoenix, Arizona
“Lovely hotel in a really cool part of Charleston!”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

years of age and while we were definitely the only family I saw with kids @ the hotel, they treated them very well. The room was beautiful and fairly quiet, even on Friday night in downtown Charleston. The coffee, breakfast and happy hour services were great and I only wish we had taken advantage of the evening cookie service. I would love to come back for a weekend alone with the wife because it is a beautiful, romantic hotel in a really neat corner of downtown. Can't say enough good things about our time there.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Collinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Included in the price was a wonderful breakfast,wine and cheese in the afternoon and hot cookies at nine!

2 Thank wingettr
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at the Vendue Inn from May 31 to June 3 and had a great time. First of all, the staff is wonderful. Everyone from the doorman to the housekeepers. The complimentary breakfast is hardy and yummy. The hotel also offers nice touches such as chilled bottle water in your room (a must for Charleston where 100% humidity and 100 degrees are commonplace). There is also a complimentary wine and cheese and cookies and milk in the evening. My room was clean and neat. The upholstery for the side chairs really needs to be recovered. Also, a fresh coat of paint is needed on some walls. Make sure to take a walk up to the waterfront and watch the boats come in. I also met Chef Jude, the executive chef at The Library Restaurant, which is located in the inn. Cool guy and we chatted about some of the restaurants I visited in Charleston. And much to my dismay, I didn't dine at the inn's restaurant. I explained that I usually head out for other meals and just think of the inn as my 'breakfast stop.' After seeing the menu, I have really missed out on some good food. And for those who love spas, there's a spa directly across the street from this inn. Seems upscale with services (and separate entrances) for both men and women.So, for those of you considering this inn, please try to have one dinner meal at the restaurant. All in all, a great find that's a little off from the hustle and bustle of Meeting Street and Market Street. It's about a quick 10 min. walk to get those hot spots

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Lilyn1
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I've stayed here twice. The first time was pretty good. My wife and I stayed on a Tuesday, in the middle of the summer. The room was nice, clean and definately worth what we paid, I believe about $150.

However, I was back there in May of this year and booked a room for Tuesday-Friday night, It ran me about $290/night with tax. I kind of expected that, it being weekend rates and all, but the room was absolutely sub par. The ceiling had nice wooden beams that were covered in white paint, which needed another coat, the blinds looked dingy, the bathroom was small and gross. The closet door was broken so it would constantly swing open. It just looked very dilapidated. Typically I could really care less about that stuff, as long as the bed is big enough and the location is good, but for almost $300 a night, the place should have been immaculate. I tried to watch some basketball in the room and I couldn't even read the score , the screen was about 16 inches big and the tv itself was at least 20 years old.

Althought the rooms are pretty bad, the staff was very nice and the location is great. Maybe I got one of their worse rooms but again, for what I paid, I should have gotten a much much better room. Either drop the price, or get started on cleaning things up.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank TMM2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We chose the Vendue to stay in after our wedding based on all of the reviews here at Tripadvisor, and because it's more of a boutique hotel (smaller size, distinct atmosphere). We reserved a Standard King, but got upgraded to a Junior Suite. This had a huge comfy bed, a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub. Everything was very well-appointed, with the expected elegant, historical Charleston charm. Service was speedy, efficient and thoughtful -- bonus points for letting my husband check in early (he had to get to our wedding, after all!). Also, when his cab arrived to take him to the wedding venue, the driver just waited outside without coming in, and the reception guessed whose cab it was and called the room to let him know it was there.

When we arrived after the wedding, still all dressed up, it felt sort of magical to step into this beautiful and quiet place right by Waterfront Park. And again in the morning when we were escorted to a pretty, sun-lit parlor for our delicious Southern breakfast.

I wish we'd had more time to enjoy everything else the Vendue had to offer. I grew up in Charleston and never had any reason to stay in one of the fancy downtown hotels. As far as I'm concerned, this is now the only place I'd want to stay!

3 Thank theakmeng
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 May 2011

LOVED the Vendue Inn! Service was impeccable - all were friendly and accommodating. Rooms were a little old, but well-decorated and very clean - just like Charleston! The breakfast is excellent with several options to choose from. Location is close to everything great in downtown Charleston. Highly recommend and will definitely stay here again when I return!

Room Tip: www.bedandbreakfast.com has deals on gift cards
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Corinn45
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 May 2011

This hotel is as advertised, very nice, fine service, average food. The major problem was that our room was near a street light, no darkening shades , and the light came through the blinds all night, keeping us awake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is DARK at night if you care.
2 Thank Mistopholes