“Beautiful but not worth the money”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We were expecting amazing things from this highly touted inn but it generally failed to impress. The rooms are pretty but small and cramped and feel old. The food is average at best especially at breakfast. We were expecting really special Southern treats but had a hard time finding something on the menu that tempted us-- I ended up with oatmeal one morning and yogurt with granola another. I can eat those at home! My local diner serves much better pancakes, eggs and grits. Don't eat at the Rooftop Bar but it's fine for a beer-- don't believe the story about the view. The Inn does have some positives-- the location is perfect, the cookies at 9PM are amazing and the staff is wonderful. Overall though, it's not worth the high pricetag.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Vendue Range
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

The Vendue Inn is not only well located within a short walk to everywhere one would want to visit in historic Charleston, but the facilities and staff are terrific. We did not view other rooms, but we had a beautiful suite, well appointed and very spacious. We travel with our dog, and she was well received by the staff. If there is some downside, perhaps it lacks the modern workout facilities, but that is easily overlooked as one can walk, bike (free use of their bikes) or otherwise be well exercised in Charleston to the point that time flys by way too fast in that town. We would definately recommend this boutique hotel to anyone. BTW, be sure to have sunset cocktails on the roof bar - great view and atmosphere, and fun people watching.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed one quick night at this delightful property in the historic district in June 2012. We only wish we could have stayed longer! We had spent the week in Savannah with extended family in a rental home and were visiting Charleston to see the historic gardens/plantations and fly out of Charleston. The location is wonderful with great proximity to downtown attractions. It is located only a couple of blocks from the market area. We were not disappointed in the quality of the inn in any way.

It had been several years since I had been to Charleston but was a familiar refined feeling upon entrance to the district and the rooms. I used Priceline to secure the room the previous day and was delighted with the match as it was an upgrade to my request. The only issue was we were limited to 1 bed queen rooms. But Priceline is what it is; you take what you get. The management offered an upgrade to a 2 queen room at over twice the bid per room, so I declined. The rooms were across from the main property with a private keyed entrance. We stayed on the second floor with rooms next to each other. Be aware there is no elevator. It was a bit noisy from the hallway and the floor above. However I feel this is part of the charm of an "ancient" renovated property. My husband and I would have loved to have had a couple's weekend here. Our college age kids were satisfied with the location. There was complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning.

I would highly recommend this property to couples. If I ever return to Charleston I will certainly check out the possibility to stay here again. The bellmen were friendly and helpful. The front desk a bit stuffy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Great location, great staff, great choice of rooms and prices , great size. European style hotel in Charleston.

Room Tip: There is a large variety to fit your needs. I prefer the fireplace rooms in the main hotel but anyth...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wherenextnc
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

You know, from reading some other reviews I sometimes wonder if they are bona fide. I wonder if the reviews are planted by the establishment or meant to sabotage said establishment. As I was planning our 12th anniversary trip i was concerned as I read reviews. Would our stay be superlative or would we crash and burn at a hellacious hell hole. Well, I am extremely picky and I loved Vendue Inn. Our King Suite was wonderful. The bed was great, we had plenty of room to spread out and the bathroom spa tub was what we needed to relax. Only the first night, a weekend night, did we hear some mild racket from the roof bar. That petered out around 11. The breakfast was excellent. The wine and cheese reception was quite nice. As much wine as you'd like with excellent service and various dips and such. I slept like a baby and found the service top be excellent. I am extremely sensitive to sound and I slept very well.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coffeelawyer
Bluffton, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We have stayed at many hotels, this was one of the worst experiences. They truly lack customer service. I left 2 pieces of very nice jewelry in the room, when I called back to inquire about it I was told "it is past the 30 day time frame of holding any belongings so we donated it to charity". What hotel does not call the last person who stayed in the room to let them know they left personal belongings behind? I bet the charity is a staff member. Not very trust worthy!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dawn-Ryan M
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Located on East Bay Street in the middle of restaurant district of the French Quarter close to the Broad St. galleries and shops on Meeting and King street, the Vendue Inn is idealy situated for experiencing Charleston. The rooms are large, the service attentive, the breakfast ample and included in the price. The roof top bar is notable more for its view than its food but worth a look. Added amenity: bicycles you can borrow for touring the neighborhood. One slight annoyance. Parking is an added $19/day but at least they are easily retrievable by the cheerful staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple