“Real Southern Charm”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Combining business with pleasure, my husband and I had just two days to enjoy our first trip to Charleston and splurged on one night at the Vendue Inn, in order to maximize the time we had downtown, without driving. What a lovely place in a great location in a charming city.
Briefly, here's what made it a great place to stay:
Outstanding staff: Nicky at front desk and Mark at curbside gave us a warm, friendly welcome with a complimentary upgrade to a lovely room in the main building - 4 poster canopied bed and gas fireplace, with lots of light pouring in the two windows facing Vendue Range. Large room, tastefully decorated, accessed through a mini-parlor. Very spacious and private - no problem with the noise other reviewers have mentioned. The bed may have been a feather bed and therefore too soft for my liking, but was authentic to the surroundings. Nicky remembered us by name the next day, asked if I enjoyed the spa, bent over backwards to get me driving directions and time estimates to two different local sites, as I was departing (thanks also to Melissa, I hope I got your name right, who also cheerfully assisted with that)
Afternoon reception: surprisingly big array of sweet and savory bites to eat presented on beautiful "vintage" china. Good variety of cheeses, and a delicious twist on sliced strawberries in balsamic (slivered red pepper, very good). Two more warm, friendly staff members served us wine, chatted with us about travel, restaurants, Charleston, and facilitated conversation with other guests, too, so it was a nice social hour. Don't miss it.
Complimentary breakfast: find your way to the lovely Colonial-period decorated breakfast room on the Vendue Range side of the building. Skip the croissant sandwich, it's nothing special, and have something else - good menu options available. (BTW Charleston has fantastic bacon everywhere I went, including Vendue's breakfast.)
Location, location, location: both days, I started at Vendue's front door and followed 2 walking tours (the original (?) walled city and then the battery/historic home area). Both began within a few blocks of the Vendue Inn, and at furthest distance, were no more than a leisurely 1/2 hour stroll, and there is so much to see going to and from. Plus Vendue Range is just one mini-block that runs between the main street, Bay Rd. and the waterfront park. So a lovely pier is just a 2 minute walk out the front door of the Inn and is the north end (I think I've got that direction right) of the park running along the water all the way down to the Battery and the historic homes. Go there after the manager's wine reception and enjoy the late afternoon sun setting. Big "porch" swings on the pier let you gaze at the water, while the sun sets behind you. Relaxing! The city market (last minute shopping for souveneirs, anyone?) is, in fact, just a short stroll away, as is the Earthling Day Spa (not to be missed). We walked to every restaurant we ate at, many are right on Bay Rd., but we strolled further to enjoy Hank's seafood (by the way, I read some middlin' to fair reviews of Hank's - we disagree, it reminded us of some our favorite big open- room Chicago spots that we love, and the food was very good - the service outstanding) and Jim&Ernies (something like that) great bbq.
So you can see that I really enjoyed my short stay. Vendue Inn's location is excellent: its staff genuinely friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie360

Reviewed 15 March 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with fabulous service and great location. Travelers should be aware that some of the rooms have not been refurbished and walk the line between charming and tired. We found them charming but some might not. Also no elevator in #24 building may be a problem for some. Main building has an elevator.
Aside from those nits I highly recommend this hotel. The service is first class and with complimentary full breakfast , bicycles to tour the city wine and cheese in the PM and cookies and milk at night what else is left.
5 stars to me are reserved for only a few exceptional places but for most this might rank a 5.

Room Tip: See review about elevator and refurbished rooms. Also noise from rooftop bar can be a problem for a...
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I just spent three nights here and it was an amazing experience. We came down for our two year anniversary. We actually spent our honeymoon in the Charleston and noticed the Vendue Inn while on that trip. We decided to check it out this trip and it will probably be where we stay from here on out. We have stayed at three other places in Charleston with higher price points and the Vendue Inn far exceeded all others. The staff was incredible, the rooms were clean, the breakfast every morning was amazing, and the Library Restaurant was one of the best dining experiences my wife and I have had. The rooms are beautiful. Literally no complaints while we were there. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are so different and beautiful it's really hard to suggest a particular one. I...
2  Thank Nicholas A
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Best part of Vendue Inn is the location. We walked to everyplace in the historic district. Charleston is flat, so even places a couple miles away were easy to Visit. Near tens of fine restaurants, the river, theaters, walking tours, historic houses and museums. The service, from Mark who took our luggage and parked our car to the staff who register guests in one of two small offices up front, to the wait staff at breakfast and afternoon wine and snacks, to the wonderful cookies put out every night.

Our room, 208, was a king, small, with a small bathroom, clean, appointed with antiques, and a very comfortable high bed with ladders on each side. My husband and I would have preferred a conventional height bed to make bathroom breaks at night less treacherous for those of us not as agile as we would like to be. Everything was well maintained and worked well. There was an approximately 2 inch step from room up to the bathroom that had to be remembered each night in the dark. The hotel is a series of historic buildings that cause some quirky architectual adaptations.

I did not see some of the more recently renovated more luxurious rooms. A room across the hall did have a larger bathroom with double sinks and large shower stall, so ask about specific rooms when reserving. Our room location was pretty quiet, so that was a plus.

Breakfast was in one of 3 pretty rooms on or connected by a few steps to the first floor off of the lobby. Breakfast was ordered from a varied menu and individually prepared and took care of lunch for us. It was delicious.

It was a bit pricey for the room, but provided gracious and caring service and a great location.

2  Thank Queen36
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My 2nd time staying at Vendue Inn and we couldn't be happier. The location is ideal, rooms gigantic (I did stay in king suite with fireplace) and restaurant downstairs really good. The staff is super helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynn Z
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is a nice inn that is ideally located close to the Battery and Market. They had delicious complimentary breakfast in a small breakfast room off of the lobby. In the late afternoon they had complimentary wine, cheese and fruit. Late evening they put out cookies and milk. They have complimentary bicycles that we used to ride all around the historic district.
The rooms were simple but adequate.
Overall it was the location and little touches that made it an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: not by elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cld63
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We just returned from a long weekend stay at the Vendue Inn to celebrate our anniversary. What a fantastic time we had there! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, it was nothing but top-notch service. We had booked a historic-themed king room and wound up in a gorgeous room on the 2nd floor. Unfortunately, due to noise from the rooftop bar and the staircase next to our room, we were unable to sleep because the room kept shaking. Luckily the extremely gracious staff moved us to another room for our 2nd night there and boy, was it AMAZING! It had a gas fireplace with a tall 4-poster bed that was probably the best bed I've ever slept in. The bathroom had a big clawfoot-style tub and a glass shower.

The complimentary breakfast was made-to-order and SO filling that we weren't able to eat lunch either day since we were so stuffed! The manager's reception w/light hors dourves and wine was a great addition and the 9pm milk/cookies were fabulous!

To be honest, we were originally quite hesitant to spend this much money per night on a hotel but at the end of the day it was worth EVERY PENNY! I hope we can return soon!

Room Tip: We wound up in room 103 on the 1st floor - very quiet since it was on the side street and the room w...
2  Thank yankeegirl125