“Another wonderful visit”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This little Inn is just fantastic. My wife and I stayed a few nights during to "off" season at a surprisingly affordable rate. The location is perfect. Close to the harbor and easy walking distance to mid town shopping and restaurants. Staff always referred to me as Mr. and Mrs. It was a great stay. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: This hotel is not about the view, it is about the location. Any room will do.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Four of us stayed at the Vendue for a girl's weekend in June. The front desk staff were very helpful in setting us up with tours of the art galleries, the city and the Spoletto festival. We had such a relaxing time and the room we stayed in was so comfortable. The beds are memorable and the bath spacious. I have recommended the Inn to many of my friends and guests as we have an Inn in Vicksburg, MS (The Corners Mansion Inn). I know what it is to provide excellent service and that is what we received at the Vendue Inn!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I have just spent three nights at this wonderful hotel, and can only echo all the other reviewers comments. The staff are amazingly attentive, warm and welcoming, our room extremely comfortable, and we fully intend to return to Charleston to see more than we had time for on this trip and wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else. Cheese and wine in the late afternoon, followed by bedtime cookies and milk, plus the complimentary cycles for riding around the city are just icing on the cake.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a very lovely boutique hotel located in the heart of Charleston. It's just a block away from the Harbor, and a few blocks in either direction from shopping, galleries and restaurants. If you are looking to take a break in the afternoon, they offer wine and cheese at 4pm.

1  Thank NancyP20147
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My daughter and I visited to celebrate her 21st birthday July 22-24th. We have been to Charleston many times but this was our first stay at Vendue. I reserved a suite and stayed in 24 Vendue Range (across the street) and so glad we did. The exposed brick, large rooms, and quircky layout made this special. We stayed on the second floor in room 256 which is a beautiful room. The view from the room is not desireable, it is a corner room and one side faces the garages and the other side faces a power station. I wasn't there for the 'view' so I was OK since the room was very special. I would go back and stay in this building again, however I would try a different room maybe in the front of the building or perhaps the other side. It was not noisy, there were no problems, just not anything special to look at but since we were in Charleston and our favorite restaurants were withing walking distance who cares.

The valet parking is a great option (and deal), staff were all friendly and helpful. First class all the way. What more can you ask for? My only 'suggestion' would be an in-room safe.

Love the morning coffee, they have wine and cheese in the evening, and we missed it but cookies and milk at night. Huge, high quality TV, antique furnishings, and a bed I wanted to stuff in my luggage and take home. We love another nearby hotel (that was sold out) but the Vendue was special and I want to come back again with the rest of my family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LindaRTS
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I sincerely could not have been more pleased with a hotel from start to finish than I was with the Vendue Inn. The staff has an incredible mix of southern charm and just pure genuine hospitality that you would only dream of. My flight was delayed in Baltimore overnight and once I arrive the bellman had been prefaced with my situation (by my friend who had arrived early) and greeted me at the hotel door on a first name basis and asked "if it could be his pleasure to send me some mimosas or champagne to my room" because they were so thrilled I had arrived and were sorry for my delay. To say this started my trip off on a fabulous note would be an understatement. I stayed in a traditional king room which was beyond large enough, the bed is heaven on a cloud and the bathroom is quite large. I was worried about the complimentary beach cruisers not being available since they are first come first serve basis, but in my Friday-Sunday stay, there was never a time my friend and I didn't have access. Location is phenomenal, you walk everywhere downtown, bike down rainbow row and see all the mansions-- gorgeous!!. Complimentary wine and cheese hour every afternoon, and cookie and milk hour every night. To top it all off, they have a sister hotel on Folley Beach (which we only learned of this once we arrived) and they give $10 shuttle to the hotel, and as a sister hotel you have free access to the pool/beach. Honestly, the compliments, impeccable service and delightful surprises just kept coming once I arrived. Since coming home I have recommended friends and family go to Charleston not for Charleston, but for this hotel. I can't say enough great things.

Room Tip: Traditional King, great size for a couple, or 2-3 friends!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Caroline E
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had family staying at the hotel over the July 4th holiday to celebrate their anniversary, and thought it would nice to surprise them with a bottle of champagne and chocolate truffles. We called the hotel and spoke with the concierge, Robby; he quoted ~$110 for the items, and even said he would include the hotel’s commemorative champagne flutes as a complimentary gesture (Wow, very impressive!)

Unfortunately, that’s where the honeymoon ended. The happy anniversary couple received a nice bottle of champagne with a note from the General Manager, Ken Merkel, stating that it was “compliments of the staff” (included in traveler photos). This is quite peculiar considering that the hotel charged my credit card $311.90! So, not only did the hotel fail to deliver the gift as agreed upon (truffles and flutes were not provided), they shamefully took credit for it. Absolutely despicable. We’ve called the hotel twice and left messages for Ken to call us to discuss, but no response. Such a disappointing experience, and we would never advise anyone to do business with this hotel.

7  Thank Coloradogirly