“Great stay!”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was my first visit to Charleston and chose the Vendue Inn for its location and prior reviews. I was not disappointed! If anything, my stay went beyond my expectations! From the moment I drove up to the front door to the time I left, the staff was fantastic. I was always greeted warmly by name and asked about my day. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet with a high four poster bed you needed the steps to climb into. The extra touches like wine and cheese at 4pm, milk and warm cookies at 9pm and turn down service made it even better. Breakfast was not included with my room but was delicious and reasonably priced. I did try the Rooftop bar but was not impressed by the food or cost.

The location was perfect and everything within an easy walking distance. I used the valet parking but didn't use my car for the entire time I was there.

I look forward to staying here again the next time I visit Charleston!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Diane B

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My girlfriend and I plan a 4 day getaway every year to somewhere neither have us have ever traveled to. We picked a winner this time around.....from the second we were dropped off, the vendue inn was all we expected. Extremely friendly staff....our bellman never forgot our names....each and every day!!!! Not impressed with the roof top bar which was highly spoke about. We ate lunch and had cocktails.....not a great view, and lackluster service. Awsome (surprises) happy hour at 4.....with surprisingly good wine, cheeses, and appetizers. Fabulous cookies and milk in the evening.....absolutely perfect location.....clean rooms.......this hotel is a 10!

Room Tip: The "haunted" jail tour should be passed...the tour was lead in the dark, was extremely ho...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank joy41396
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at the Vendue Inn for our 5 year anniversary. It was our first trip to Charleston, and the hotel staff could not have made us feel more welcome. I was contacted about a week before our trip by the concierge to assist in any reservations, we pretty much had our trip already planned but the contact was appreciated.

The moment we arrived we were treated wonderfully, from the bellman who greeted us and never forgot our names the rest of the trip, even though I forgot his, to the great waitress at breakfast, and the bartender during the late afternoon wine reception, everyboidy was nice and friendly, We were upgraded to a King Suite, which was accross the street. The room was an interior room with no windows, but was big enough not to feel closed in, and it had a skylight. It was clean, the bed very comfortable, and the maid service was outstanding. The hotel also gave us a body of champaigne to celebrate our anniversary. It did show a little wear as other have mentioned, but that's just part of being a very old building, and it added to the ambience. We also enjoyed looking at the artwork, and plan on taking a tour next time we stay there.

The only negative which wasn't with the hotel directly, but the worse service we received was at the rooftop bar where we had lunch the first day, the staff there was the only one's we encountered during our entire trip that did not make you feel like a valued customer, maybe it was just an off day. The nighttime staff was much friendlier.

We enjoyed our stay at the Vendue Inn, and Charleston so much that I am already planning on going back for my 50th birthday next year!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chillinfool
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I last stayed at the Vendue Inn in February, 2013. The location remains great, and the staff is - as before - very professional and attentive. I stayed in Room 101, a "historically themed room" with two queen beds. Room 101 was a vast improvement over my previous room at the Vendue Inn. Although it is located on the 1st floor and fronts on Vendue Range, it was very quiet, with minimal street noise. The furnishings were top notch. As before, I encountered a low water pressure issue in the bathroom; this time from both bathroom sink faucets. In addition, it took 10+ minutes for the water to become even lukewarm. Overall, I enjoyed my overnight at the Vendue Inn and will probably stay there again when visiting Charleston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RELjr1
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I surprised my husband with a trip to Charleston for his 50th birthday and I booked our stay at Vendue Inn. What a great decision! We had a wonderful room across the street that was beautiful. We loved the food for breakfast and the afternoon wine. Everyone was very quick to help us with reservations, taxis, & general information. Wonderful staff!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The extra details were very noticeable and greatly appreciated. Being an Inn with butler service made our stay effortless for us. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and were graciously upgraded to the king suite making our visit to Charleston outstanding. The room was beautiful and spacious on the corner of the building with a view of the harbor. It has a fireplace that adds to the comfortable ambiance. Complimentary sherry and a chilled bottle of champagne were sent up. The Vendue Inn certainly knows how to go the extra mile to make their guests feel special and welcomed. All the little details they put into their customer service makes this my number one recommendation for lodging in Charleston.

Location is perfect. The Inn is right by the Charleston Harbor, just steps from Waterfront Park and the beautiful pineapple fountain. We could see the water from the corner window on the 3rd floor room 302. We walked to the park every morning with coffee to sit on the hanging benches along the pier to watch the cruise ships and harbor activity. Several highly rated restaurants are right at the corner on East Bay Street. Everything is within walking distance.

The wine and cheese reception was very nice. The cookies and milk were a fun and nice touch.

Because we left every morning to walk very early and found ourselves meandering around the peninsula exploring, we did not eat breakfast at the Inn. I would definitely have breakfast next visit as it is competitively priced and appears a step above what you find walking around. Also it would be a nice way to experience the library restaurant.

The Vendue Inn is very well kept and clean. The service and attention to detail is outstanding. The quality of the stay is worth the cost and is very reasonably priced.

Thank You Vendue Inn for a great job!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aurora-Solista
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The wife and I stayed here for our tenth anniversary. I booked it after doing some research on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. The location can't be beat. The Vendue Range is right off of East Bay Street where many of the best restaurants in town are located. It is also a stones throw from the pier and waterfront park. The room was very tastefully decorated and the bed was crazy comfortable. The staff were warm, friendly, and helpful and genuinely seemed to want to help you enjoy your stay. The roof top bar is also a fun place to hang out although I found the one at the Market Pavilion Hotel to be more lively and a better view. The only minor complaints that we had were that the water pressure in the bathroom sink was ridiculously low. It may just have been our room though. Also, sometimes it took a while for the room to get made up.

We didn't dine at the hotel at all so I can't comment on the food there. However, there were several places that we were very happy with:

For breakfast we ate at Eli's Table and the Sweetwater Cafe. Both were enjoyable and had good selections on the menu. If you want a really good egg sandwich then go to Cafe Paradiso.

We only ate lunch once and went to Nick's BBQ. Very good pulled pork and excellent fried chicken.

If you are into Happy Hour then Charleston is the place for you! Every day from 4-7 and it seems like just about every bar has one. We really enjoyed the atmosphere at Pearlz Oyster Bar. $2.50 beers and $5 martinis! The food there is really good too, especially the fried oysters.

Dinner is where Charleston really shines. We ate at Slightly North of Broad, High Cotton and the Peninsula Grill. They were all amazing in their own way. If you are looking for a real nice night out on a special occasion then I would recommend outside dining in the courtyard at the Peninsula Grill. The food is incredible and the atmosphere intimate an relaxing.

Here are some other tips if you do decide to visit:

Take the complimentary bikes out and tour the historic part of the city, especially south of Broad. The houses and architecture are amazing.

Definitely take a carriage tour. We used the Old South Carriage Co. and found it to be entertaining and informative.

As far as visiting a plantation goes, we decided to visit Magnolia as there seemed more to see there than the other ones. There is a small petting zoo on site as well if you have kids.

The tour to Fort Sumter is also a must do if you into U.S. History at all.

All in all we had a great time in Charleston and would recommend it to anyone to visit there. The people are really friendly and always seem to be willing to engage you in conversation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple