“If you want a perfect location, an elegant yet homey small hotel, an included full breakfast of your choice, and an extremely ac”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I booked at the Vendue Inn for two nights and ended up extending my stay to four nights. My room was super quiet, elegantly appointed, and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The staff was amazing, bending over backwards to make my stay enjoyable. And did I mention the wonderful included full hot breakfast of your choice? The next time you're in Charleston, SC make a date to stay at the Vendue Inn - you won 't want to leave !

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank zetabetsy
There are newer reviews for The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My daughter flew into Charleston, Oct.16, 2013. Using tripadvisor I checked out hotels, wanting
one in the historic district, centrally located. The Vendue, according to management is about
to close for renovations. It certainly is not a day too soon. I hasten to say the staff was very
warm and did what they could to make our stay better. My daughters room, upon arriving,
smelled of mildew and horse and whatever. It faced the street 2nd story level. She was
moved to another room, much smaller, tv did not work. Repairs were attemped, not success-
ful. This hotel charges premium rates and touts itself as a historic luxury hotel. Be warned
it is certainly old, but it lacks so many things that make a stay memorable. Dinning is ok.
Not special. No refrigerators in room , no snacks, etc. Now, they have wine in lobby in early
evening. Wine is ok, cheese and dips are usually good and milk and cookies in lobby in late
evening. But they cannot handle crowd, not enough room,no place to sit etc. After a long
and tiring walk all over Charleston, you get to your room and relax, who wants to go down
to the lobby and eat cookies and milk. You can bring it to your room, but then you must
dress or never undress . The cookies are ok, not earthshaking. I say all this to say, there
are other hotels much more atune to customer comfort and probably not over $300 A NIGHT.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dotsi
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear that our staff offered excellent service during your stay. However, I am certainly disappointed about the issues you experienced with the guest room and the amenities we offer. We strive to make each of our guests stay memorable including our special touches like the milk and cookies. Your experience falls short of our standards and we would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please contact us directly so that we can discuss specifics of your stay to ensure that this kind of experience isn't shared by future guests.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here in August 2013, it was a very nice experience. The hotel is quite old but our room had been renovated. As many reviewers have pointed out it is not your typical cookie-cutter five-star hotel. If you have a problem with winding hallways, a slow elevator and rooms that have a layout that accommodate the architecture versus the architecture accommodating a big square room this might not be the spot for you. Then again, if you have a problem with old world architecture, Charleston's probably not the spot for you either.

The wine and cheese reception was exceedingly pleasant – again, if you're expecting to have a five-star sommelier a serve you $200 a bottle wine you are probably overreaching a bit. If you're looking for an opportunity to sit down, relax and have a drinkable glass of wine with some good cheese you're in the right spot.

The hotel's staff is pleasant, accommodating and exceedingly helpful. I cannot find anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Apparently, some have been renovated and some have not - better ask.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David A
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After reading more reviews, I feel a little better about my honest opinion of the Vendue Inn. I was thinking... Am I the only one having a bad experience???... It seems that some other customers felt the exact same way I did...

The Good:
All staff I encountered were extremely nice.
The bed was very comfortable.
The location is great.

The Bad:
I paid for a fireplace king room, I was "upgraded" to a junior suite (room 254 for reference) upon my arrival. This room was actually in the hotel across the street and it wasn't what I would consider an upgrade of any kind. Our room had no windows except for a skylight that had the sun right over the bed in the morning. I couldn't tell if our hotel room was clean because there was hardly any light. They did not honor our complimentary breakfast, that we were offered when we booked the hotel room. This hotel has recently been sold... so I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

The Ugly:
The bathroom was severely outdated. Our shower door wouldn't even close. It was just dark and dank room... and the fireplace was connected to the bathroom so you could see from the bedroom into the bathroom. The fireplace made a loud hissing noise the whole time it was turned on, which ended up being about one minute because I couldn't stand the noise.

In the end, maybe I should have asked them to change my room for one of the rooms they say they've "updated"...

Room Tip: Just because it's a suite doesn't mean you'll get a window....
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The inn was lovely and the amenities were outstanding. The staff was gracious and very helpful. We were treated extremely well. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was very special. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We had the smallest room but it was comfortable and met our needs. It had a four poster bed, , two...
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Vendue is really beautiful, has top notch service, and is in a great location. The inn has a classic historic Charleston feel from the building, to the art, to furniture. The service is excellent and everywhere you go there is fresh fruit infused water, coffee in the morning,a wine and cheese hour, and cookies and milk at night. Inside you feel like you are in a quiet countryside inn, yet once you walk outside you are right in the middle of all the action and history that Charleston has to offer. I would definitely choose the Vendue for another stay.

2  Thank gregtrzaski
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned the noise issues with this property. We have now stayed across the street, where we could hear the people and tv in the other rooms. And in the main bldg where street noise kept us up til after 3 am. Great location for day but not when bars let out. Hotel seems bit tired also.

• Stayed: September 2013