“Very nice but didn't quite live up to expectations”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 26 December 2013

From the outside (and the lobby), The Vendue makes guests feel as if they've stepped into a very exclusive club with very high-end amenities. It wasn't until 24 hours into the stay that I began seeing faults. The building is very old (and beautiful), but this means the hotel has to deal with old-building problems. The room fixtures are beautiful, but there were some stains on the ceiling and the ceiling itself was cracked around the outlet for the water sprinkler. The water pressure in the shower was abysmal, and the room itself was very small. The bed is very, very comfortable, and our room looked out into the atrium, which was serving as the lobby during renovations. Although her friendliness was appreciated by guests checking in, the receptionist was a little too enthusiastic for guests whose rooms looked out over the cavernous atrium trying to sleep in. I would stay here again, but I would hope for some aesthetic improvements to reflect the rate charged by the establishment.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Red2014
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that there were several aspects of your stay that were positive and that you recognize our staff as being friendly and upbeat. I do sincerely apologize that your desire for quiet enjoyment was interrupted for that reason, though, and I will review this with our staff. I would also like to be able to address some of the other issues that you encountered during your stay so that we can correct them. Please contact me directly to discuss some of the details of your visit. I hope that you will consider our property for your future trips to Charleston.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The "famous" rooftop bar is closed. Wish we would have known when we booked. Also, the night before checkout, we get a note saying the street in front of the hotel would be closed for a Xmas run and we needed to get our car before 7 a.m. This would have been good to know when we checked in. Also, the porter didn't know any history of the Inn which we readily found online. Will not stay here again. Room keys are the old brass type and they don't match the number on the suite doors.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,
I am disappointed to hear that you weren't properly informed about our renovation project at 19 Vendue, including the Rooftop Bar,prior to your arrival. We have made efforts to reach out to all of our guests, however I apologize that you did not receive that information from our management or staff. I will also be certain to review the history of The Vendue with all of our staff, as there is a wealth of information available about our property that we enjoy passing along to our guests. Your experience falls short of our standards and I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your stay to ensure that this kind of experience isn't shared by future guests.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel's website made a lot of false promises. In truth, there is no Vendue, just the old Anchorage Inn relabeled, no restaurant, no rooftop bar. The reception staff was cheerful and friendly and woefully misinformed about Chrleston. The hotel information binder in the room apparently applied to the Vendue that was, not to this place - stated the breakfast hours in their restaurant, but there is no restaurant. The first morning I was told (wrongly) that the nearest breakfast available was in a cafe some blocks distant. When I got there, the line of people waiting to be seated was across the sidewalk and out inito the street. Bad information about the duration of a tour caused me to miss a restaurant reservation that had been difficult to secure. Bad information about no need for advance tickets cauised me to miss a Fort Sumpter tour. The receptionist called it "Fort Sumner," which was typical of the level and accuracy of local knowledge.

The bellmen, particularly Lawson, were attentive, helpful, and reliable.

The room lacked a comfortable chair, and the HVAC was either too hot or too cold. It was "reset" and I returned in the late afternoon to find the room hot as blazes with the thermostat at the maximum heat setting. The tiled walk-in shower was large, but the water temperature was unreliable, and there was crud encrusted on the fixtures, as well as on the sink fixtures. Housekeeping was sloppy - used bath linen left on shower floor for two days, a mat of hair on a supposedly fresh face cloth.

The slams, bangs, voices, and squeaky hinges in the adjacent room early and late prevented rest.

Problems were met at the reception desk with big smiles, expressions of sympathy, apologies, and empty promises. I found that my credit card account was charged more than the amount guaranteed in my confirmation. A portion was finally refunded, further communication from me was ignored.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pavoga
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that our bellmen offered excellent service during your stay. However, I am certainly disappointed about the issues you experienced with the guest room and the services we offer. I also apologize that you were given misinformation that caused confusion for portions of your time touring Charleston. We strive to make each of our guests stay memorable, however your experience falls short of our standards. The issues you outlined will be reviewed with our staff so that we can ensure that they aren't shared by future guests.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed here last week while I was coordinating an event across the street so the location was very convenient. Our room was upgraded while we checked in and that was very nice. The room was small as expected but the bed was exquisite and so tall it comes with steps! The bathroom has a bit of an odd layout and it feels like the shower and toilet are stuffed in the corner. My husband is 6'8" and he had to take the toilet paper roll off the wall to sit on the toilet. He also found the shower to be quite small. We didn't know that the hotel was being renovated and that the breakfast, currently advertised on their website, is no longer offered and that was very disappointing. They do offer coffee and the worlds smallest muffins but that was not going to be substantial enough for us. While there are many restaurants in the area most do not open until 11:00 am so we ended walking 8-10 blocks down by the market to find breakfast. When we came back at 10:00 am they had already put the coffee away! Don't anticipate finding any coffee in the hotel or in the area between 10:00 - 11:00 am. I think they should just put coffee makers in the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tanis J
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear that our location in historic Charleston was convenient to your event and that an available upgrade was offered to you for your stay. Many of our guests have been very complimentary of the comfort of our bedding and I'm glad to know you have the similar sentiments.
We have made recent updates to our website which reflect the status of our efforts to update and improve The Vendue. I hope that our location and great staff will afford us another chance to have you as our guest in the future. Our reservations staff is always willing to recommend what our most spacious accommodations are for your needs.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The phenomenal service began the moment we stepped into the hotel. Upon checking in, we were pleased to find we had been upgraded from the interior queen to a traditional queen room. The warm welcome from all of the staff did not stop there. We enjoyed an hour of complimentary wine and cheese cozied up by the fire in a charming room downstairs. Then, we walked down East Bay to enjoy the incredible cuisine that Charleston has to offer. This hotel is perfectly placed between the water, Charleston Market, and incredible restaurants. We thank the concierge, Mr. Fagerstrom, and all of the staff for this relaxing and romantic experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monica B
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for choosing The Vendue for your getaway. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff and I will make sure that they are passed on to each of them. They certainly strive to make sure each of our guests enjoy their stay. I'm also pleased to know that our property met your expectations and our manager's reception was an added touch. We are quite fortunate to be located so centrally to Charleston's historic sites and fantastic restaurants. We all look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The staff is awesome. The Vendue bought The Anchorage across the street and The Vendue is shut down for a total remodeling so if you book where you used to stay it's NOT the same. Our upgrade to a King Fireside room was pretty disappointing. The first floor room was really claustrophobic and cramped. Using the fireplace warmed up the room on an ununusually cold Thankgiving weekend but the bathroom remained freezing cold. The whole place is just a bit tired and grubby around the edges, all of the upholstry on the chairs and all the rugs need a cleaned. The day-to-day service was excellent, the cleaner used a LOT of bleach to clean the bath. . . but the low quality 90's renovation was just TIRED. Staff is trying really hard and eager to please but wouldn't go back to this building, wasn't a particularly good value for what we paid. Breakfast offering was just coffee, some fruit and average little mini-muffins, should probably revise their website to reflect what's happening now. The staff was always happy to fetch a coffee or hot water for tea and the evening 4-5 happy hour with wine and cheese was a nice way to meet other travelers, although most were a little grumpy with the current state of the accomodations. The location is awesome, walk out and your in the heart of the historic districts with many dining options.

Room Tip: Main level is cold in the cooler weather and you'll hear street foot traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear that our staff offered excellent service during your stay. I apologize that your guest room did not meet your expectations. We have made recent updates to our website which reflect the status of our efforts to update and improve The Vendue. I hope that our location and great staff will afford us another chance to have you as our guest in the future. Please contact me directly at the hotel before booking your next stay so that we can provide you with a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Enjoyed this quaint historic hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly.
Perfect location, walking distance from the city market and the water.
I would have liked alittle more selection for the continental breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mickee111
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Vendue and appreciate your kind words about the staff. We are planning to expand our a la carte breakfast menu in Spring 2014. We hope that you will continue to stay with us on any return trips to Charleston.