“The Vendue? I'm sold”

Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Hanover, Canada
“The Vendue? I'm sold”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I booked this hotel for 1 night in April 2014. The check in was delightful, very efficient and the room was ready. the car was parked for me with a minimum of fuss. the concierge, Robbie, had already phoned me to suggest restaurants to eat in that night as well as booking a tour for me the following morning. The room was antique and full of charm. The bed was wonderful as were the linens and I slept better there than I had in weeks. The room was spotless. The hotel provided wine and snacks at 4pm , but as we don't drink I requested coffee, but they could not provide anything, as the kitchen was closed, even for room service. the breakfast in the morning left a little to be desired though, only coffee, danish, fruit and vanilla yoghurt which was not very substantial, and I think the hotel might do better by giving out a token to be used at an area cafe rather than trying to provide breakfast themselves, when they obviously have a hard time of it. However, overall I would rate this hotel at 9 out of 10 and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: request a room away from the front on the ground floor as it is noisy here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the Vendue in Room 250 last week. This is 26 Vendue Range, not 19 Vendue Range, which is still being renovated.
Our room was very lovely and the bed was absolutely divine! The room was very clean and fresh as well. We faced the front of the building, overlooking the street. One wall was brick, there was a gas fireplace and a flat screen hung on the wall. The TV is an LG HDTV, however there was a problem with being able to see it when the lights were out. It may be that it had automatic brightness, but we couldn't figure out how to adjust it. It was perfect in daylight or when the room lights were on, but we couldn't watch it with the lights out, which when I'm in bed I do...

The decor was exactly what I was looking for, antique-ish and charming. The area rug needs to be replaced and management had said it is slated for that, it was recently cleaned so no problem with it other than it looking too old. The bathroom was adequate, also has a brick wall, which I found charming! The bathtub is a jetted tub, which means stepping into the shower was a BIG step over the tub. No big deal for us, but I would not recommend this room for anyone who may have a problem lifting their legs in and out of a tub that high. I did not use the jetted tub (I usually do when away and have the opportunity) because the tiles, shower doors and grout really need to be replaced. When it's old looking like that, it can be cleaned immaculately, but never really looks or feels clean enough to me. I did mention to managment that the tile, doors and grout need to be replaced.
The service was impeccable. Extremely friendly, willing to help, always a smile and very professional. I did not find the staff to be "too much", as I had read on a review previously. I think they were all perfect in their professionalism and friendliness.

The hotel has coffee and pastry's, fruit and yogurt laid out on a buffet station in the common area each morning from 7 - 10 am. The coffee was the best coffee I found throughout our stay in the city. So that's a plus! Pastries and fruit were perfect for breakfast before we headed out for the day. In the afternoon they serve cheese and crackers and wine from 4 - 5 pm and at 9:00 pm they lay out cookies and milk. Each was delightful, yummy and presented nicely.

The common area was comfortable, the lobby beautiful and the location fabulous! Just 1/2 way up the block from Waterfront Park and a few short blocks from the market place.

I would stay here again and I would definitely recommend it as a great place to stay.

2 Thank deecee727
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked the Vendue Inn as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. It was our first time in Charleston. I was in contact with the hotel each month because I was nervous that the hotel would be under construction and our stay wouldn't be comfortable. Upon arrival and throughout the trip, the front desk staff was BEYOND friendly-- always willing to help and make us happy. Our room wasn't large but it was quaint and cute. The front desk staff and location was TOP DOLLAR and fantastic--

--Whats not worth the money? The hotel rooms were average--more on the small side, but for an inn that was understandable. The carpets weren't as clean as I would have like to see in a $300+ A night inn. The hot water took a VERY long time to come on-- in fact I never got hot water in the sink. There was some kind of construction going on and we would hear banging. In the bathroom paint would fall off the ceiling and on the floor from the banging. The HOUSEKEEPING was probably the most surprising disappointment of the hotel. With the staff being so kind and friendly, the first day I looked past the fact that my room was never turned down. The next day, our room was never cleaned although we were out until 5pm. I needed to call and tell the front desk and they sent the turn down service. It took a complaint from me and 4 days for the housekeeping to replace our glasses and throw out the garbage.

Although it was a beautiful hotel and we enjoyed ourselves, for $300+ a night, I expected more.

3 Thank Mzito729
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Vendue Inn last summer and were so pleased with everything. We were welcomed with wine and service from the moment we stepped out of our car. The valet took over and we were care free. Our room was in the building across the street which was wonderful. The privacy was great. The food, the gallery and wine receptions each afternoon, milk and cookies in the evenings, and the rooftop bar all made our stay awesome. We will return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amymusic
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed here in the older conversion 26 Vendue for 5 nights in an interior room on the 2nd floor.
The room was small but perfectly adequate but if you stay in it for any length of time the lack of windows adds a prison cell like quality. The biggest defect presently is the lack of a proper restaurant. Charleston is a foody town where the good restaurants get booked early for popular time of the evening i.e. between 7 & 8.30 so on the night of arrival eating can be difficult. The hotel advises the recently opened rooftop bar opposite. The food offerings there are very restricted & more of a tapas variety although of good quality.
A nice idea is the provision of free wine and canapés between 4 & 5. Perhaps one hour too early.
Breakfast which is free consists of juice, fruit & varying cakes with Starbucks but has to be eaten in arm chairs unless one of 3 small tables are available. Not ideal
The site is ideal, close to the river & the sites & the staff excellent but management need to rethink
these issues or at least warn guests of the deficiencies at present.

Room Tip: Avoid interior rooms especially on ground (1st) floor near reception
2 Thank alan140547
Toronto
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, steps from the waterfront and a short walk to the centre of town, shopping and the historic district. Staff are very helpful and the rooms are comfortable.

We stayed on a ground floor room at 26 Vendue. and it was very, very noisy. You could hear the plumbing from upstairs every time someone turned on a tap or flushed the toilet, and the doors are thin with no seal at all. You can hear every word spoken in the hallways.

Afternoon wine and the coffee, tea, water and night-time milk and cookies were a nice touch. It was unfortunate that the bar and restaurant were closed for renovations but there are many good choices within steps of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were there from Colorado to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary, made a long trek to get there expecting, due the Vendue's website that the renovations would be completed by the time we arrived, NOPE! We were put in the "old Anchorage" which I have stayed in when it was the Anchorage and it's ok but nothing special. Our room was crazy small, no outside window which we were aware of when we booked but very poor lighting, some lights didn't work, felt claustaphobic. Staff was friendly and location great but next time I'd stay at the Harbor View in which I've stayed at before. Feel like we were duped on what we paid for and what we got, certainly was NOT The Vendue, very disappointed!

5 Thank Britta N