“Best place to stay in Charleston.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best place to stay in Charleston.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My two sisters and I planned a trip to Charleston and stayed at the newly renovated Vendue Inn and we are so glad we did. The Vendue is located close to the heart of Charleston so we were able to walk to just about everywhere we wanted to go including the many fabulous restaurants. The inside of the Vendue is beautiful, our rooms were clean and homey, and the staff were wonderful - attentive to our every need. I would recommend to everyone that the next time they come to Charleston, this is the place to stay. The bar and restaurant was so inviting, you would not need to go anywhere else for great drinks and food.

Room Tip: Second floor was perfect
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would give this hotel top marks. The rooms are great, the service exception, and the location perfect. The list of extras included is impressive: morning coffee, afternoon wine and cheese, evening cookies, and turn down service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

What an amazing inn. I am usually someone who stays at hotels, but we happened upon this inn when we were road tripping. It was by far the most expensive stop on our trip, but also the loveliest. You felt like you were really taken care of, while not being constantly watched. The rooms had this incredible feel to them and the staff were beyond kind and thoughtful. Such a great location, but really, it is such a great choice to feel almost like you are back in history without the whole like ghost vibe :)

• Stayed July 2013
Crown Point, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I booked a trip to Charleston for our first anniversary. I've been to Charleston before, but I stayed across Charleston Harbor in Mt. Pleasant. For our anniversary trip, I thought it be nice to stay in Charleston proper. After reviewing local hotels, I decided to stay at The Vendue Inn.

We stayed at 19 Vendue Range (not the sister property across the street) in room 215. We also booked at a good time - we received a 30% discount.

At the time, the hotel was transitioning from a bed-and-breakfast to a hotel. It still had that bed-and-breakfast feel, but with no breakfast. At night, they offered guests cookies and milk. Nice touch!

We were promptly attended to by hotel staff and checked in our room quickly.

The room was great! Comfortable bed, old hardwood floors, updated bathroom, etc. It was just enough space for my husband and I. I never heard any guests walking to their rooms, the elevator, or street noise. I was concerned about ghosts - Charleston is known for its creep factor - I never saw or felt anything weird.

The location was perfect. It's in quintessential Charleston. You're by all things Charleston - great food, bars, shopping, waterfront harbor - it's all walking distance. The hotel provided bikes, but we never used them. A couple great places to eat nearby - Pearlz Oyster Bar and Magnolias. I missed Husk, but next time I visit Charleston, I'll be there. Please avoid Hyman's Seafood - disgusting!

There's a bar on top of the hotel. We went up there one night just to check it out. Nice if you're into the bar scene. We also ate breakfast at the hotel. We didn't enjoy it. I would suggest eating somewhere else if you have time.

We parked on the street in front of the hotel on Vendue Range or behind the hotel on Gendron or Cordes St. There was no need for us to pay for parking. A parking garage is nearby, but unnecessary.

I would suggest people stay here if they were planning a trip to Charleston. Of course, this review is from when we stayed in 2013 so keep that in mind. I didn't have any issues like other reviewers.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 215. Since the transition, I don't know what room this is called now?
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Westerly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We accidentally made reservations for the wrong night, and Robbie the concierge was very accommodating. Our room was clean, and the hotel in general was beautiful. They just recently finished renovating the entire hotel a month ago, so it was immaculate and well appointed. The hotel is covered in beautiful artwork, and they even offered guided tours. There is a rooftop bar, which had views of the entire city, which was a very nice perk. Also, there were milk and cookies left out as a night cap. The pool, spa, and other amenities are at their second property across the street, which was fine with us. We would stay here again. Thanks Robbie.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I just stayed at the Vendue in an East Bay King Room on our 13th anniversary weekend sans kiddos. The new remodel is fantastic. Our room was gorgeous with a beautiful view of the bustling E. Bay Street. It was clean, beautifully decorated & the most comfortable bed! The service was just as remarkable. From the front desk to the bellman we have but highest remarks! Mark was our bellman most days & his attention to detail & ability to retain names is amazing! You will not regret staying here. The best location. Perfect room. Amazing service & attention to detail.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Renae K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

A beautiful hotel in the French Quarter section of historic Charleston was the landing place of a last minute one night trip with my two sisters who live in different parts of the country. This was our first trip together now that our children are grown. At check in we were offered an upgrade as we were a party of three.
From check in to departure we were treated like royalty. Mark, the bellman from Prague was our personal attendant taking care of our bags, recommending local restaurants, setting us up with bikes for an early morning ride, filling our cooler with ice before departure and having our car packed and ready to go at 3pm when we said we would return after an afternoon of shopping before leaving Charleston.
The room was large and spacious with abundant light from three large windows of this corner room with high ceilings and a fireplace. There was plenty of room for the three of us to move around, much bigger than the room we originally booked. Beautiful art adorned the walls of our room as well as throughout the hotel. It was more like a B&B/ Art Gallery than a hotel.
Wine and cheese awaited us when we returned from having lunch and an afternoon of exploring the local area, as well as home made chocolate chip cookies when we returned that evening.
The next morning we were surprised by a continental breakfast in the common lobby area where the afternoon before a buffet of fruit and snacks were provided.
I am so glad we were offered an upgrade option as the experience would have been much different had we been in a regular room. Some of the rooms were quite small from what we could see as the rooms were being cleaned the next day. The upgrade charge was definitely worth the extra space and amenities.
The Vendue Inn is located a few doors from a beautiful park on the water and is surrounded by the charm of the old homes and neighborhoods of historic Charleston. There are plenty of restaurants to enjoy the many flavors of Charleston.
The service and hospitality of this hotel compares to that which my husband and I experience at one of the finest resorts in Mexico. We have stayed in Charleston before at a very nice B&B and it was the added touches and hospitality which would made me come back to The Vendue Inn.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a corner room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends