The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
“:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our 9 year anniversary at this wonderful hotel . I was very impressed with the quality of service . We live in the charleston area and have been down town plenty of times to show all of our visitors around and to just enjoy the historic surroundings. The hotel is located in a perfect location you have access to a list of 5 star restaurants with in walking distance we ate at 32 queen about 2 blocks away. You can walk down the block and take in the great view of the water and bridge .
Now for the room ....our room was very small but we did only stay one night the bed was comfortable but towards the middle of the night I felt like I was being swallowed by the bed the bathroom didn't come with a tub instead it had a walk in shower, in the morning my wife complained of no hot water i took one after her and i had no complaints nice and hot for me . My only biggest complaint is the fact that you can hear everything and that the door even though it was closed and locked had such a big gap it let in so much light in from the hallway . I know now what to ask the next time i stay ...THATS RIGHT i wouldn't stay at any other hotel this one captures everything from historic to very classy..
I also recommend the roof top bar great view and good drinks .

THANK YOU VENDUE FOR MAKING OUR ANNIVERASY MEMBRIABLE

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ricardo C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a beautiful hotel from start to finish! It’s historic, charming, in a great location (walking distance to everything), CLEAN and the staff is very customer oriented. We felt very welcome and at home here, or room was spacious, bed was comfy and all was very clean. They keep little treats out for all guests during the day which is very nice, cucumber or fruit water all day, coffee in the morning, wine and horderves in the early evening and cookies with milk at night. They also offer free bikes to cruise around town on. Both sides of the hotel are unique and equally beautiful; one is a little more modern while the other holds more of a historic feel. The restaurant is amazing we loved everything we ordered and presentation was fantastic like art on a plate. The servers are very informative explaining every detail of the meal, drinks are also very delicious. The rooftop bar is also a winner with great food and drinks. Prices are comparable to other big name hotels and upscale restaurants but the service is beyond compare. We had a fantastic stay here and can’t wait to visit again. We will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone we know heading to Charleston.

Room Tip: The rooms are exactly how they appear in the pictures so select the one you like best.
1 Thank Dawn D
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a really terrific small hotel right in the prime arts district of Charleston. It is only a block from one of the free bus trolleys that circle the city and easy to walk to many restaurants, galleries and other spots of historic interest.

I stayed on the historic side - 26 Vendue - and it may or may not appeal to everyone. I loved it, but I love historical places/lodging. It definitely has a more worn feel, but the art gallery style is very nice. The room was small but well appointed with a large LCD television. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and a modern vessel style bathroom sink. The provided bathrobes were comfy to slip into after a long soak/bubbles.

The room did not have windows as others have complained about, but that did not bother me, in fact, this probably provided a lot of blockage from the street noise. There was a large skylight directly over the bed. I'd check beforehand and ensure you get a room with a window if this is a requirement.

I ate across the street in the hotel restaurant for breakfast one day over the weekend, and it was excellent. The service at the hotel itself is exemplary and courteous. Parking is paid valet (you don't need a car if staying in downtown for your entire visit) or self-park.

The only issue I had at all is that the noise level between the rooms could be difficult, and I had to resort to ear plugs. I could literally hear the people in the room next to me talking like they were in the same room! When the staff was going up and down and cleaning, it was quite loud. This is definitely something to be aware of if you are a light sleeper like me.

Overall, I would definitely stay again, and it's really a splendid hotel complex.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Dragonia64,
thank you for the very detailed review and feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our service.
We hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our recent trip to Charleston was a short one but was made a bit more memorable by staying at the Vendue. You will enjoy the Vendue, from the comfortable and classy rooms to the excellent food at the Drawing room and cocktails at the rooftop bar. Convenient to almost everything in old town Charleston, our experience at the Vendue was great. My wife and I were celebrating our 36th anniversary and the staff at the Vendue helped to make our trip special. Their restaurant recommendations were spot on and they made sure each restaurant knew our reason for the trip.

Room Tip: Let them know if you are celebrating something special and they may surprise you with a room upgrade...
2 Thank RockHound1
Dear RockHound1
Thank you for choosing The Vendue for your special occasion. I am glad that you experienced every facet of our Hotel and that you enjoyed it so much.
We look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

As much as I hesitated to write this review, for purely selfish reasons, I decided that I needed to share my experience with other travelers who visit the Charleston area. I am a frequent visitor to Charleston due to it's southern charm and cuisine, and have established my favorite 'places' to stay while visiting the town. I have stayed at many luxury hotels in the historic district, and have always gravitated back toward two of my 'faves'. Well, this place has completely changed my mind about the others, and I'm just afraid that it won't be available for me when I decide to return to Charleston.

I had always considered The Vendue "off the beaten path", but I was wrong! This place is convenient to everything, and you don't feel like you've hiked all day to see everything there is to see in Charleston. And, one of the really nice things was the fact that you don't hear all of those annoying traffic noises at night while you are trying to sleep. So, me and a friend booked the King suites which were right beside of each other in the main building. These rooms were incredible! I made a point to stay up late each night so I could just enjoy laying in the bed and watching tv.

From the minute we arrived at the hotel, the staff treated us like they had known us for years. They were friendly, warm, welcoming, and genuinely happy for us to be there. Not as happy as we were, though! After settling in, we made our way up to the rooftop bar. That place was really neat. It consisted of different levels with different seating arrangements so it didn't feel like you were staring at everyone or being stared at while enjoying a cocktail. Great drinks, great views and great food with impeccable service.

We enjoyed room service the following morning, and the french toast was amazing. Again, the staff (our friends) went over and above to make sure everything was perfect.

The following day, after a Sunday of shopping, we decided to return to the hotel around 7pm. I was tired and thought how lovely it would be to get a massage. It was Sunday night. No spas were open. I wandered out into the lobby and asked about the local spas, at which time a young lady provided a card to me of a Licensed Physical Therapist who had dropped off a business card. I asked the staff if it was okay to have a massage therapist come in that evening, and they were happy that they were able to accommodate my requests! Ok, so a luxurious room with complimentary wine on a Sunday evening with a massage therapist (with incredibly reasonable rates) who comes to you! It doesn't get any better than this!!

Unless this place is booked up (which is why I hesitated to write a review), I won't be staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DelPickt
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear DelPickt,
...what a great review! Thank you so much. We certainly put a lot of pride and effort into what we do and seeing it being appreciated this much is fantastic.
We too know we've found a new friend and look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I decided to take a short getaway to celebrate our anniversary while we were visiting family in South Carolina. I got on-line and started blind on picking a location in Charleston as we heard that this was a wonderful destination. The Vendue was just what we needed and the staff was very attentive. the first night we decided to have dinner at the Vendue and it was top notch. I ordered the Grouper and it was absolutely wonderful! My wife had a specialty salad and gazpacho and it was also fantastic. The locatoin was central to many great places and things to see. We would highly recommend this establishment!

Rooms
Dear Jerry c,
thank you so much for choosing the Vendue for such a special occasion as your 30th wedding anniversary... we're honored.
We appreciate the time you took to write the review and we look forward to being able to serve you again in the future.

Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I stayed during the moth of July. I'm not sure how long they had been reopened since their remodel. Everything was great. It all started with Mark the Bellman who walked up 5 flights of stairs to retrieve our bags from our car. Check in went smoothly and they had plenty of recommendations for us during our stay. Our room was filled with beautiful furnishings and we had a gorgeous bath with a real walk in shower. Turn down service every night as well as wine and snacks in the afternoon and cookies and milk in the evening. The rooftop bar was great with a good view of the area. The breakfasts that we ate here were the best we had while on vacation. I can't say enough good things about the Vendue. Great stay in a great location.

Room Tip: East Bay rooms are beautiful and full of light.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pietro G, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Belle044,
thank you so much for choosing The Vendue and for the great review.
We started our reopening phase at the beginning of April and we've been fully operational since the second half of May. Glad to hear you enjoyed the amenities (I know I love those cookies). We hope you'll get a chance to try The Drawing Room for dinner on your next stay.