“Southern Hospitality”

Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Calabasas, California
“Southern Hospitality”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We had a great stay at the Vendue Inn. Staff was exceptional, breakfasts were great and the room was small, but nice. Very well located--we watched the Fourth of July fireworks from the rooftop bar. It was easy to walk to the river and nice to be able to access the rest of old Charleston. We used the valet for our car and found them to be very accommodating--even delivering our car to a location close to the hotel. Would sure stay there again!

1 Thank redhead91302

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Charleston is full of American history and most of revolves around here. Revolutionary & Civil war the area is full of it. In the middle sets the Vendue Inn as your starting point. The Inn is located within walking distance of all the sites you will want to see and if you don't feel like walking take the DASH a tolley that will get you everywhere.The Vendue Inn is a great place the rooms are well appointed each room is differents ours had a HIGH plantation bed. Charleston is hot, room has air conditioning but had hard time keeping it cool [maintaince explained the situation] we went out and bought a room fan and that solved the problem. The daily breakfast was great especialy the grits "they are to die for".Service was quick. The room has period furnishings with 200+yr wood planks and exposed ceiling beams it gets a person ready to explore the city's history. Got a great deal off of cheaptickets.com about half price.Grayline city tour great to see sights and orient you to the city.Harbour tour nice passes by Ft Sumter very informative thought would pass closer by the hi battery with it's stately homes. would stay and recommend the Vendue Inn again

Savannah, GA
Reviewed 20 July 2010

In a nut shell, this is a nice place with lots of pluses:

1. can't get a better location in downtown Charleston
2. has a nice old European feel to it
3. great featherbeds and pillows
4. staff will go out of their way to please you
5. cookies at 9 pm, wine and appetizers from 4-6 included in the price
6. a really good breakfast included

Only two things that don't make it a perfect score:

1. for the price, the bathroom of the deluxe king really needed some updating. the bathroom was more of a 2/3 star hotel category, not this price range
2. noisy alley!!!

Other than that, it was really nice.

1 Thank LEVC
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Stayed at The Vendue last month and booked their Romance Package for our 16th wedding anniversary. The staff did a nice job with the "small touches" like the sherry, truffles, champagne, turn-down service, etc... Enjoyed both the innkeeper's reception (wine & cheese) and the evening cookies & milk.

The Junior Suite we stayed in was fantastic as well. Very ornate room and the bed was very comfotable. We arrived on Sunday (early check-in) and checked-out (late) on Monday, Unfortunately, The Library Restaurant wasn't open either of those nights as all of the reviews I'd read about it were excellent. We ate at Anson Restaurant, which my wife and I both thought was good.

The only complaint I had was with Vendue's valet parking. The bellman outside seemed "out of it" and the two gentlemen behind the front desks were tasked with helping to park and retrieve the customers' vehicles. After checking-out and grabbing some coffee, we waited 30+ minutes for our car to be brought around. I had a bad feeling when we went down to the breakfast area earlier that morning and saw three couples (and all of their luggage) waiting for their cars. The situation wasn't any better when we were departing. That said, the valet issues were a minor inconvenience compared to our overall stay at The Vendue Inn.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelin_Tiger
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2010

The Vendue Inn had the most courteous and pleasant staff, they truly made our first visit to Charleston pleasant. The breakfast was superb and the welcome reception was a nice way to meet others over a glass of wine. The roof top bar was fun and welcoming. We believe that we picked the perfect location to experience historic Charleston. We would highly recommend the hotel to anyone and hope to return.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Immediately after staying at the hotel I was contacted by the hotel via email and asked to provide a review. I gave a detailed list of the problems I encountered. After waiting a week or so, I have not heard a peep in response.

In fairness, I liked many things about the hotel, but it really failed to impress. The beds were super comfy. The breakfast was very good and the servers were prompt and friendly. The fruit water in the lobby was always refreshing. The milk and cookies were a nice touch, although the presentation was spotty. The young bellman who helped us gets an A+ for everything he did. Many (but not all) of the employees were friendly and helpful--although on our visit the place seemed badly short-handed and many employees seemed a bit frazzled/overworked.

There were several little things (like the "manager's reception" that was missing a manager--or anyone else--so guests picked over a few bits of cheese and resorted to pouring their own wine from a couple screw-top bottles left out on a table in the breakfast area). I pointed these issues out in my response to the hotel's review form. To be fair, most of them may be linked to the fact that we arrived on one of the busiest weekends of the year. While I was there, I never complained or made a scene. My party pretty much decided to make the best of things and just "go with the flow." With that said, I'm kind of floored that nobody got back in touch with me after learning about our experience.

These are the top three issues we encountered:

1. No doorman outside or valet present when we arrived. Ended up having to drive well beyond the hotel to find a parking spot after being unable to stop at the hotel due to traffic and lack of valet/loading zone. Then had to walk back to our car and drive around the block in bumper-to-bumper traffic after walking 1/4 mile to the hotel lobby and asking at front desk for someone to come out and provide valet parking. Our check-in process was sort of "clunky" due to crowded, understaffed lobby. The bellman did a great job, the front desk did not. One member of our party accidentally got locked out of their room immediately after check-in. Hotel management failed to provide a timely response, but--after waiting several minutes for someone to come over from main building (see below)--we flagged down our bellman and he was able to get a key and get the room unlocked.

2. Instead of having a room in the well-maintained, fully-staffed main building, our rooms were actually in a somewhat dank and depressing building across the street next door to a lively, noisy pub. This building doesn't have any hotel personnel staffing the lobby, so face-to-face interaction requires a trip over to the other building. Isolation from staff and amenities gives this secondary building an odd vibe and sort of a low-rent feel. Walking over to the main lobby is a bit of a pain. If the website had been more clear about this arrangement, we would have stayed elsewhere. Other than having very comfortable beds, our rooms were pretty bland--nothing at all like the rooms shown on their website. In particular, the upgraded king room's decoration consisted of light khaki paint, some exposed brick, cheap window treatments, a fireplace, a tiny TV, one framed print and one framed mirror. It wasn't bad, just not the environment one might expect after seeing the pics online. Imagine sleeping with your window facing a bustling bar which is located with their front door literally a few feet away. Less than restful.

3. Our overall experience was punctuated by several odd moments where it seemed like "nobody was in charge." You just didn't see people taking ownership of certain issues. Not because they were bad employees, but because they were already busy doing other tasks. This was a management problem. I also experienced two incidents where demanding guests were given preferential treatment over more polite guests (including me). Allowing a patron to step in front of a line of other patrons shows poor management technique. failure to acknowledge patrons who are forced to wait due to lack of support staff also seems like an obvious mistake. After paying our bill, I honestly could not get someone to take the keys from me at check-out because the woman at the front desk wouldn't acknowledge me while dealing with another guest. After waiting around and looking for someone to give them to, I honestly ended up tossing them on an empty desk and showing myself out--because the doorman was busy doing something else.

My main gripe with this hotel is the fact that it appeared that unless you chose to be a complainer, their standard of service just wasn't in line with their price or image.

We had a great time in Charleston. We also had a good time at the hotel. BUT, when I consider what we spent at the Vendue Inn, I feel like our money would have been better spent elsewhere. The place did not deliver the top-shelf experience we expected and have received at other similar properties.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank mikenbama
Cary, NC
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Amazing place to stay! The Vendue Inn consists of a few beautifully restored, historic buildings right between Waterfront Park and East Bay Street. Walking distance to practically everything in the historic district. They offer first-come, first-serve bicycles to explore every inch of what you can't walk to. Plus, they're fun to ride and offer a nice breeze on hot days. My husband and I stayed in an interior queen room. They're small, cozy interior rooms with no windows, but there's a skylight over the bed. They're way cheaper than the other rooms offered at the inn, or anywhere else in the historic district. Great deal!! I think there's only 4 of them total, or at least that's how many skylights you can see from the rooftop bar. Anyway, they go fast. They serve a great complimentary breakfast in the morning (sit-down and order, not a buffet). Pets are welcome. I mentioned the RoofTop Bar ($4 Margaritas). Parking is not free. Meters on the streets are free on Sunday (good luck finding a spot). There's a garage nearby $12 a night, $16 if you want the hotel to valet. The staff are amazing, they knew us by name. Free sparkling wine on your anniversary! Anyway, I'm in love with this city, and LOVE this hotel. I will stay here every visit and I tell everyone about it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple