“A wonderful experience-top to bottom”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We had a terrific experience at the Vendue Inn. Our suite was just beautiful...and we loved all the little extras that came along with it.. like the lovely carafe of cream sherry sitting atop the fireplace, the way the bed was turned down in the late afternoon along with several bottles of water. Also, the wine and cheese (and fresh vegetables with dip) at the 4:00 p.m. hour and the yummy milk and cookies at 9:00 p.m. Also, how could I forget to mention the wonderful (free) bikes we were able to use in the morning to take a tour of the beautiful Charleston streets...after we had an absolutely peaceful, delicious and lovely breakfast.
The staff at the Vendue Inn could not have been nicer. Everyone treated us like we were the only ones there and made it a point to make our experience as pleasant as possible. They were not imposing at all, just very in tune with the guests and they all seemed to be driven to make our stay the very best it could be. There was a young staff member who helped us for at least an hour and a half, on the phone, trying to get our departure plans straightened out...as they had some how gotten messed up between the time we booked and the time we were ready to leave. I can't say enough about the Vendue Inn and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I want to thank all of the staff members for making our stay a truly wonderful and lovely experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed 11 August 2010

My daughters and I, as well as my friend and her daughters planned a girls trip to Charleston and the Vendue Inn. After check in we went to my friends room first and found it to be charming and spacious with two beautiful queen beds, just what we were expecting. Everyone was excited about our three night stay. However, when my daughters and I received our room it was much smaller and had only one king bed . I was disappointed but was sure the management would help us work it out.
I was indeed wrong, the management refused to make any concessions even though our confirmation itinerary indicated two queen beds had been reserved and prepaid through expedia. He did however offer us an areo bed, but I assured him I did not come to Charleston to sleep on an air mattress on the floor.
I offered to compromise by moving rooms each night to ensure that the three of us would have adequate beds throughout our stay and asked him to work something out while my party and I went to lunch at a restaurant several blocks away. During the course of our meal , Jerry the assistant manager of the hotel came to our table advised us that he could not make us happy and asked us to gather our luggage and leave the hotel premises. He told us he had found us other accomodations at the Holiday Inn and that we would be responsible for their charges and that we could contact expedia for a refund of our prepaid reservation with his hotel. Without regard for the resources we may have had on hand he arrogantly kicked the six of us out of the hotel.
Needless to say this is not what I had expected in southern hospitality. This experience not only left us angry with the Vendue Inn, but it cast a shadow over Charleston as a whole.
If you have reservations at this hotel, please confirm your room with them prior to your arrival, after speaking to some of the local employees at the restaurants etc. it appears that this management team has a reputation of being arrogant and unaccomodating because this Inn is centrally located and they are never in doubt about reselling a room.

Stayed: August 2010
6  Thank roxyrockit
sridder, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

This is the dilemma that all Innkeeper's fear.

We were unable to accommodate this guest' special request and their response was that they were going to stay at our hotel, they were going to be miserable and they were going to make certain that everyone, staff and guests, knew of it.

I made the decision that since there was nothing we could do to make them happy, that we could not allow for their very public unhappiness to compromise the experience of our other guests. We asked them to leave, and then we paid for them to stay at another hotel.

It is a very difficult decision for an Inn that prides itself on hospitality and thrives on good reviews and word of mouth from past guests to refuse admittance to a guest, but there are times when a guest's attitude is so bad, that for the greater good, we need to refuse service.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

This little hotel was like staying at a 5 star resort for us. Everything was perfect. The room was super nice and clean, the hotel staff knew us by name! The complimentary bikes were great! The hotel was a little loud, but we were not there to sleep, I will sleep when I am dead! It was a GREAT trip and I will go there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

The service at the Vendue Inn was beyond my expectations.. upon arrival (after a very long drive) we were greeted by the doorman who immediately took our bags from the car, upon entering the Inn we then were greeted by the desk clerk who checked us in very quickly and offered us a glass a wine. It was the wine and cheese hour at the Inn 4 to 5 everyday, don't miss it. The room was exceptional.. just what we booked. Very clean and the Robes are amazing. My husband said the bed was the best he ever slept in, and I totally agreee. The southern breakfast was equally amazing, just order off the menu, you are treated with Southern Hospitality wherever you go. Don't miss the cookies and milk at 9.. yummy... The location is in the French Quarter, just walk wherever you want. It was extremely hot while we were there, but we did everything a tourist would do, except ride the bikes, it was a little too hot for us to do that, would have loved too, maybe when we go back. There was nothing I didn't like about the Inn!!

Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed in the Vendue Inn for two nights for our anniversary. The rooms were all very nicly decorated, the staff was very attentive and helpful. I travel quite a lot, also to inns for vacations but this one hase been one of the best in this pricerange. I think it is a perfect venue for a romatic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I stayed at the Vendue Inn as part of a Priceline vacation package. Would definitely stay at the Vendue Inn again...but never again use Priceline (that's another review). We stayed in one of the Queen rooms...though the website says there are no windows, we did have one with a view of the parking lot. Nice to have a window anyway. The room was small but we didn't really plan to spend time in it with all the shopping, nearby beaches, restaurants, etc. The hotel is located very close to everything, so once you park the car, you won't need it again unless going outside of Charleston. There aren't any signs for parking to unload in front...just pull up in the yellow lane in front of the hotel even though it says there is no parking. We went inside and were immediately greeted by the staff. If you're going to park ($16/day valet), use the valet. It was well worth it as we got the car out at least once a day. Don't know where they parked it...rental, and didn't care...but I never had to worry about it. They were ALWAYS quick to fetch it out front for us. As for the room, if you're used to room refrigerators, microwave, etc. then this is not the hotel for you. Also, the TV is very small but we weren't there to watch TV either. We did have one maintenance issue in the bathroom and it was handled during the day while we were out. The breakfast is terrific, the manager's reception is nice though we only took advantage of it one day during our stay. We got cookies once because we were out. They put them out at 9 pm and they are gone by 9:10. The turndown service is very nice...they touch up the room, put ice and water in the ice bucket, chocolate on the pillow, turn on some music on the radio, etc. Only real complaint with the room is noise...not just people in adjacent rooms or the hallway, but our room was on the top floor and must have been in a location with no room below...we could hear them setting up for breakfast (dragging chairs across wooden floor). Also, the Rooftop Bar was right above us. No rest until after 11 pm. I would stay there again, but ask for a room without the noise factor if they have one. The staff was incredible...very friendly, accommodating, etc...the staff will be the one reason to return. Service was best I've ever experienced.

1  Thank lboldt13
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We had a great stay at the Vendue Inn. Staff was exceptional, breakfasts were great and the room was small, but nice. Very well located--we watched the Fourth of July fireworks from the rooftop bar. It was easy to walk to the river and nice to be able to access the rest of old Charleston. We used the valet for our car and found them to be very accommodating--even delivering our car to a location close to the hotel. Would sure stay there again!

1  Thank redhead91302