“Great Location, loved the free bikes!”

The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
Ranked #15 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Los Angeles, CA
“Great Location, loved the free bikes!”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We have traveled to Charleston many times and have often stayed at the Holiday Inn on Calhoun, mostly because we thought the hotels closer to the market were out of our price range. We were so pleased to find the Vendue Inn! It is right by the waterfront and all of the popular restaraunts. Our room was charming, and the staff was wonderful. We also took advantage of the beach cruisers and enjoyed the bike ride very much! The Rooftop Bar has always been one of our favorite places for a cocktail, too. If you want a coffee maker, flat screen TV or fridge in your room, this might not be the best place, but there is coffee out in the morning, a wonderful breakfast that is included in your stay, and who needs a TV when you're in such a great location? We also brought some leftovers back from dinner one night, and the staff stored them in a fridge for us, no problem. The only strange thing is that our room had no tub, only a shower, which wasn't a big deal. If you have to have a tub, I would make a request, because I think some rooms have tubs. We really enjoyed the Vendue Inn and will definitely be back!!

1 Thank brettandanne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
New York
Reviewed 14 August 2010

This was more than a place to lay your head, this was true bliss. First, we were contacted before we even left for vacation by the wonderful concierge, making suggestions and letting us know all the little extras the Inn had to offer. We were greated at the door, by a wonderful young man, who promptly grabbed our bags, escorted us to the manger's reception for wine and cheese, fresh fruit.... that's the best check-in I have ever had! We have stayed at some of the nicest hotels, and have never been greeted so warmly, and personally. They knew it was our anniversary, and had champagne waiting in our room, our bags were brought up, and we opened the door to the cutest room! Very nice wall colors, bathroom was very clean and spacious. The BED was to die for! So wonderfully comfortable. fluffy and just downright awesome! Our reservation also included a full sit-down with linen on the tables breakfast, soooo yummy! The staff was just the best part of this entire experience, so gracious and warm. We stayed for 3 nights, and it was more like a second honeymoon, than a quick trip to Charleston! I also highly reccomend eating at S.N.O.B. - best food I think we ate all year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vickidoll
wallingford, PA
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We had a terrific experience at the Vendue Inn. Our suite was just beautiful...and we loved all the little extras that came along with it.. like the lovely carafe of cream sherry sitting atop the fireplace, the way the bed was turned down in the late afternoon along with several bottles of water. Also, the wine and cheese (and fresh vegetables with dip) at the 4:00 p.m. hour and the yummy milk and cookies at 9:00 p.m. Also, how could I forget to mention the wonderful (free) bikes we were able to use in the morning to take a tour of the beautiful Charleston streets...after we had an absolutely peaceful, delicious and lovely breakfast.
The staff at the Vendue Inn could not have been nicer. Everyone treated us like we were the only ones there and made it a point to make our experience as pleasant as possible. They were not imposing at all, just very in tune with the guests and they all seemed to be driven to make our stay the very best it could be. There was a young staff member who helped us for at least an hour and a half, on the phone, trying to get our departure plans straightened out...as they had some how gotten messed up between the time we booked and the time we were ready to leave. I can't say enough about the Vendue Inn and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I want to thank all of the staff members for making our stay a truly wonderful and lovely experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My daughters and I, as well as my friend and her daughters planned a girls trip to Charleston and the Vendue Inn. After check in we went to my friends room first and found it to be charming and spacious with two beautiful queen beds, just what we were expecting. Everyone was excited about our three night stay. However, when my daughters and I received our room it was much smaller and had only one king bed . I was disappointed but was sure the management would help us work it out.
I was indeed wrong, the management refused to make any concessions even though our confirmation itinerary indicated two queen beds had been reserved and prepaid through expedia. He did however offer us an areo bed, but I assured him I did not come to Charleston to sleep on an air mattress on the floor.
I offered to compromise by moving rooms each night to ensure that the three of us would have adequate beds throughout our stay and asked him to work something out while my party and I went to lunch at a restaurant several blocks away. During the course of our meal , Jerry the assistant manager of the hotel came to our table advised us that he could not make us happy and asked us to gather our luggage and leave the hotel premises. He told us he had found us other accomodations at the Holiday Inn and that we would be responsible for their charges and that we could contact expedia for a refund of our prepaid reservation with his hotel. Without regard for the resources we may have had on hand he arrogantly kicked the six of us out of the hotel.
Needless to say this is not what I had expected in southern hospitality. This experience not only left us angry with the Vendue Inn, but it cast a shadow over Charleston as a whole.
If you have reservations at this hotel, please confirm your room with them prior to your arrival, after speaking to some of the local employees at the restaurants etc. it appears that this management team has a reputation of being arrogant and unaccomodating because this Inn is centrally located and they are never in doubt about reselling a room.

Stayed August 2010
6 Thank roxyrockit
sridder, General Manager at The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
This is the dilemma that all Innkeeper's fear.

We were unable to accommodate this guest' special request and their response was that they were going to stay at our hotel, they were going to be miserable and they were going to make certain that everyone, staff and guests, knew of it.

I made the decision that since there was nothing we could do to make them happy, that we could not allow for their very public unhappiness to compromise the experience of our other guests. We asked them to leave, and then we paid for them to stay at another hotel.

It is a very difficult decision for an Inn that prides itself on hospitality and thrives on good reviews and word of mouth from past guests to refuse admittance to a guest, but there are times when a guest's attitude is so bad, that for the greater good, we need to refuse service.
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This little hotel was like staying at a 5 star resort for us. Everything was perfect. The room was super nice and clean, the hotel staff knew us by name! The complimentary bikes were great! The hotel was a little loud, but we were not there to sleep, I will sleep when I am dead! It was a GREAT trip and I will go there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Horsham, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2010

The service at the Vendue Inn was beyond my expectations.. upon arrival (after a very long drive) we were greeted by the doorman who immediately took our bags from the car, upon entering the Inn we then were greeted by the desk clerk who checked us in very quickly and offered us a glass a wine. It was the wine and cheese hour at the Inn 4 to 5 everyday, don't miss it. The room was exceptional.. just what we booked. Very clean and the Robes are amazing. My husband said the bed was the best he ever slept in, and I totally agreee. The southern breakfast was equally amazing, just order off the menu, you are treated with Southern Hospitality wherever you go. Don't miss the cookies and milk at 9.. yummy... The location is in the French Quarter, just walk wherever you want. It was extremely hot while we were there, but we did everything a tourist would do, except ride the bikes, it was a little too hot for us to do that, would have loved too, maybe when we go back. There was nothing I didn't like about the Inn!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed in the Vendue Inn for two nights for our anniversary. The rooms were all very nicly decorated, the staff was very attentive and helpful. I travel quite a lot, also to inns for vacations but this one hase been one of the best in this pricerange. I think it is a perfect venue for a romatic getaway.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple