The fella booked us in Suite 9 here for New Year's, which also happens to be our anniversary, and we were pretty darn excited to stay. Parking and wireless are free, which can be rare for fancy hotels, and the bellman greeted us in the parking lot to bring in our bags.
Our room was GLORIOUS - fireplace in the huge bedroom with TV, separate office, separate sun room with TV, and a huge bathroom with jet tub, glass shower with two shower heads and separate room for the toilet. It even had a heat vent so you wouldn't get cold when you got out of the shower! I also appreciated the complimentary water and sodas in the room fridge and the treats left at our door each night.
Just a few negatives...
- The hotel IS off the beaten path from downtown (all the places we went downtown were at least a half-mile away but usually more than that), and there are some dark, sketchy roads just one block away from the hotel, like Beaufain. We took the long route some nights just to avoid it, so be careful.
- The pillows were like tiny, smushy cotton balls, so you might want to bring your own.
- Lastly, we left one morning around 10:00 to go on a sightseeing tour and eat lunch, and when we came back three hours later, our room still hadn't been serviced. I was looking forward to hanging out in it before dinner, but we had to call down and ask if it could be cleaned; the front desk said they would ask the housekeeper where she was and if she could get to it soon. If? I told her I'd just sit downstairs and read while it was cleaned; after an hour, I finally went upstairs and it was done, but no one had told me and there didn't seem to be much urgency around it. Just thought that was odd for a five-star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston