My wife and I spent the night at the Wentworth Mansion on 1/21 for our 4 year anniversary. I did a lot of research and wanted a grand bed and breakfast to spend our 1 night in Charleston. I looked into many different places but decidedon the Wentworth Mansion based on reviews and price ($275 per night). I will describe what I liked and disliked.
Location: I was not familiar with Charleston at all and didn't really look at location when I booked. I think that would have made a difference if I were to go again. The Wentworth Mansion is located a good 10-15 min walk for the shopping area (King St.) and restaurants. It is located in a slightly run down neighborhood next to the college dorms and fraternity houses. It was indeed quiet, just a tad far from all of the action. We ended up walking everywhere and it wasn't too bad. So don't expect it to be in the middle of all of the action.
Building/Room: It is a massive mansion indeed. Looks really nice from the outside and the grounds were well maintained. The lobby was nice as was the sitting area and library. The room was much more than we expected. We stayed in a Mansion Room (#20) on the fourth floor right beneath the Copola (sp?). It was a large room with a couch and a Jacuzzi tube on one side. My wife was really impressed with the size of the room. It had a king size bed which was above avg in comfort (the Adobd Grand Villa in Sedona is still my favorite). The bath room was a good size and we especially loved the shower with its dual head (provides plenty of water pressure to both sides of you). The jacuzzi was situated directly across from the T.V. which was wonderful. My only complaint about the room was that there was no DVD player (only CD player without remote) and the T.V. couldn't be pivoted to face the bed. You can't really watch T.V in bed. Otherwise, we were thoroughly happy with the room. The Copola was also very nice. We took some great pictures and really enjoyed the view.
Service: The service was wonderful. The moment we stepped out of our car, we were greeted by the bellboy who took our luggage. Check in was a breeze and they even let us check out 2 hours past the allotted time (possible cuz it was low season). The bellboy gave us a brief but thorough tour of the Mansion. My only complaint was that in the evening, we went to dinner at 82 Queen and the concierge told us to mention that we were staying at the Wentworth (implying that we would get some discount or something). However, when we got there and mentioned it, the manager stated that they had no ties to the Mansion and gave us no discount. He appologized and told us that he was going to call the Mansion and tell them not to lead their guest on. I felt a tad stupid and mentioned this to the concierge in the morning. One other thing that caught my attention was that they did not forget that it was our anniversary. They took the time to put out candles all over our room and had a chilled bottle of champagne ready when we came back from dinner. A very nice touch indeed.
Food: Breakfast was great. There was a nice selection of bread, meat (including smoked salmon) and cheeses. The one hot entree of the morning was a quiche-like item with Cheese and Turkey and it was awesome. They even had freshly baked cinnamon rolls and fresh juices. I only wished that it lasted longer than 10am. In the rooms, there was a refridgerator with sodas and water free of charge (very nice touch). My only complaint was regarding the evening wine and appetizer. I read in many different reviews that they always had freshly made appetizers that were delicious. However, when we got back that night, we found only a platter of cheeses and crackers. I was hoping for more and was kind of disappointed.
The free parking was also nice.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. The only reason we probably stay somewhere else is because of its location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston