“Pretty much what we expected except...”
Review of Wentworth Mansion

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
California
“Pretty much what we expected except...”
Reviewed 22 January 2007

My wife and I spent the night at the Wentworth Mansion on 1/21 for our 4 year anniversary. I did a lot of research and wanted a grand bed and breakfast to spend our 1 night in Charleston. I looked into many different places but decidedon the Wentworth Mansion based on reviews and price ($275 per night). I will describe what I liked and disliked.
Location: I was not familiar with Charleston at all and didn't really look at location when I booked. I think that would have made a difference if I were to go again. The Wentworth Mansion is located a good 10-15 min walk for the shopping area (King St.) and restaurants. It is located in a slightly run down neighborhood next to the college dorms and fraternity houses. It was indeed quiet, just a tad far from all of the action. We ended up walking everywhere and it wasn't too bad. So don't expect it to be in the middle of all of the action.
Building/Room: It is a massive mansion indeed. Looks really nice from the outside and the grounds were well maintained. The lobby was nice as was the sitting area and library. The room was much more than we expected. We stayed in a Mansion Room (#20) on the fourth floor right beneath the Copola (sp?). It was a large room with a couch and a Jacuzzi tube on one side. My wife was really impressed with the size of the room. It had a king size bed which was above avg in comfort (the Adobd Grand Villa in Sedona is still my favorite). The bath room was a good size and we especially loved the shower with its dual head (provides plenty of water pressure to both sides of you). The jacuzzi was situated directly across from the T.V. which was wonderful. My only complaint about the room was that there was no DVD player (only CD player without remote) and the T.V. couldn't be pivoted to face the bed. You can't really watch T.V in bed. Otherwise, we were thoroughly happy with the room. The Copola was also very nice. We took some great pictures and really enjoyed the view.
Service: The service was wonderful. The moment we stepped out of our car, we were greeted by the bellboy who took our luggage. Check in was a breeze and they even let us check out 2 hours past the allotted time (possible cuz it was low season). The bellboy gave us a brief but thorough tour of the Mansion. My only complaint was that in the evening, we went to dinner at 82 Queen and the concierge told us to mention that we were staying at the Wentworth (implying that we would get some discount or something). However, when we got there and mentioned it, the manager stated that they had no ties to the Mansion and gave us no discount. He appologized and told us that he was going to call the Mansion and tell them not to lead their guest on. I felt a tad stupid and mentioned this to the concierge in the morning. One other thing that caught my attention was that they did not forget that it was our anniversary. They took the time to put out candles all over our room and had a chilled bottle of champagne ready when we came back from dinner. A very nice touch indeed.
Food: Breakfast was great. There was a nice selection of bread, meat (including smoked salmon) and cheeses. The one hot entree of the morning was a quiche-like item with Cheese and Turkey and it was awesome. They even had freshly baked cinnamon rolls and fresh juices. I only wished that it lasted longer than 10am. In the rooms, there was a refridgerator with sodas and water free of charge (very nice touch). My only complaint was regarding the evening wine and appetizer. I read in many different reviews that they always had freshly made appetizers that were delicious. However, when we got back that night, we found only a platter of cheeses and crackers. I was hoping for more and was kind of disappointed.

The free parking was also nice.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. The only reason we probably stay somewhere else is because of its location.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Saysum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
NC
Reviewed 21 January 2007

My wife, myself, and her parents had the most wonderful experience this past weekend. We love to travel and, until this experience, our favorite accommidations was the club level of the Grove Park inn, then maybe the Ritz Carlton in Maui. We have always loved the Wentworth as Well, but the staff there out did themselves more than ever before. Anything we asked for was provided quickly, and graciously starting with the bottle of wine waiting for my father- in- law upon our arrival. He only prefers one type of wine and the mansion did not have it in stalk. The innkeeper personally went out on the town, found it and had it chilling for him. It simply got better from there.

The rooms were always beautiful as we have stayed in about six or seven of them. But it seemed they have actually improved, in terms of upkeep and cleanliness. One would be challenged to even find a piece of dust on the bedroom chandeliers from the 14-16ft ceilings. simply had the best experience ever.

Brian J. Bauduin, Charlotte NC

• Liked — The service and beauty
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank disappointed22
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2006

The Wentworth Mansion is a delight! From the well coiffed and manicured, youthful, yet highly informed, staff to the carefully chosen and maintained decor, this B & B stands head and shoulders above all the rest in Charleston.My husband and I stayed two nights prior to Thanksgiving (following a massive, early Thanksgiving family reunion in Williamsburg) during a howling nor'easter. The ambiance of a fireplace to chase away the chill, floor to ceiling draperies to close or open as the dreary weather dictated, and an opulent king bedded room were all we needed to relax, rest, and recoup. As if that weren't enough, the spacious marble tiled bathroom had a wonderfully large jacuzzi tub that was just the ticket for the ultimate bath. Because we made last minute reservations online, we got a great rate..but had to move to a second room on the second night...what a bonus! We had an incredibly huge 'mansion' room the first night (around 600 s.f.)and a stylish, beautifully furnished, but slightly smaller (maybe by 100 s.f.), East Wing room on the second night. I would return to either room!
The nearby restaurant, 1886, is one of the most accomodating we have ever dined. (see separate review).
We will return OFTEN!
Minor sniggle: wi-fi was spotty...could have been due to the storm...

• Liked — personal attention, southern 'feel'
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pam C
Rockwall, TX
Reviewed 21 November 2006

From the moment we stepped into this beautiful late 18th century mansion we were treated as valued guests and family. Bob Seidler (Manager/owner) & Margaret (concierge) gave my husband & I a tour of the grand home which made us feel right at home. They encouraged exploration of the mansion with it's many features including the roof top observation deck (a sight to see). This was our first visit to Charleston, we had a wonderful time and were spoiled by all the features of the Wentworth. Everything was lovely from it's spacious rooms to the wonderful daybeds and the sumptuous baths to the wonderful breakfasts in bed or downstairs in the dining area on fine china...our experience was awesome. After observing several other bed & breakfasts along with other hotel properties we were extremely satisfied with our decision to stay at the Wentworth. We highly recomend the Wentworth Mansion a bit expensive but worth it, we loved the whole experience!

Catherine & Blakeley
Rockwall, TX

• Liked — The mansion itself, our room was spacious and the service was great.
  • Disliked — price & circa restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the rooms ...it was fun seeing the other rooms they are different
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank American History Junkee
TN
Reviewed 9 September 2006

My parents and I stayed at the Wentworth Mansion September 2-4, taking advantage of the "Discover Charleston" package. In hindsight, I wish I had not booked the package, as the "carriage tour" is for the cheap 16-people-to-a-huge-mule-drawn-wagon tour and the walking tour was not offered on the day we planned to take it. I wish the website had elaborated on exactly what type of tours these would be and when they were offered, as I would just have booked the standard room. Further, they charged me an extra $50/night plus tax for a third person, so the final bill was a little more than $1060 for the two nights!

The Mansion itself was quite gorgeous, exceeding my expectations. The staff WERE young (as another poster commented), but we found them to be very knowledgable about the Mansion and the surrounding area, as well as greater Charleston). We were booked into room 17, which can be viewed on their webside in the last photo on the right in the second row under their "Photos" link. There is also a virtual tour of this room (it is the first "Mansion Room" listed under the "Virtual Tours link).

The room was spacious and beautiful, with period furniture the staff claimed to be authentic and an elegant daybed on which I slept. It was wonderfully long (I am 5' 8 and my feet came nowhere near the footboard), with a great mattress and pillows. The bathroom was gorgeous with a whirlpool tub, separate shower, closet with robes, and great amenities (I loved the natural-fiber loofah and oatmeal soap). Our minifridge was well-stocked with water and a variety of sodas.

My only small complaints were regarding the service staff. Like one other poster, I did NOT enjoy "Miss Betty" in the breakfast room. She went out of her way to tell us to "only take a taste" of the hot dish each morning in case we did not like it. Now, I do not condone being wasteful, but when paying $530 per night for a room, I don't think it would be a crime to take a normal serving of something and leave it if it did not suit. Also, she hovered over myself and my mother as we were eating our cereal, and as soon as the last nugget had been lifted to our mouths, she was asking if she could take our bowls because they were "running low on bowls and other guests needed them" (this happened both days). Lastly, a teenaged girl spilled some milk while getting cereal (the milk had been put into awkward silver carafes with flimsy pouring caps), and Miss Betty acted like it was the end of the world, calling in additional staff to clean up and letting out several enormous sighs and moans. Not my idea of great service.

All in all, I really enjoyed the Wentworth Mansion and felt it was a great place to stay. In the future, however, I will try to take advantage of their reduced-rate weekends and avoid the packages.

Stayed September 2006
9 Thank Veg1
long beach, ca
Reviewed 2 August 2006

I was a little cautious about the Wentworth due to a couple of bad reviews. I did not experience any of the previous reviewers problems.

With that said - If your looking for immaculate, eat off the nightstand clean, this is not the place...it is an old hotel, it is slightly musty and a little creaky.. but that is what I like, I have no interest in the sterilized sano hotel motif.

Overall the hotel is a beautiful property, it was well staffed and addressed our needs well. The breakfasts were excellent, and the real treat was coming back to the hotel after a hot days exploring to find a chilled Pinot Grigio ready to go. On campus restaurant was really convenient for a birthday.

My only knock was that the staff is really young.. forget about any depth to their knowedge - for instance I asked about a late night carriage ride after out dinner, the "concierge" laughed and kind of dismissed it "thats way too late for them". Turned out I had my pick of 3 companies and arranged myself.

Other than that we had a fantastic stay.

• Liked — historic property
  • Disliked — concierge
  • Tips/Secrets — if you like historic b and b's - it is a good one.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank CAWilp
New York
Reviewed 28 July 2006

We dined in this mansion and found it to be wonderful. The evening was absolutely perfect. The food was superb and the service was totally professional. A very worthwhile experience.

Stayed June 2006