“Quite Nice but Not Really a Service Experience”
Review of Wentworth Mansion

Wentworth Mansion
Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 5 June 2007

I stayed at Wentworth for my birthday celebration. My husband made the reservations and booked 3 nights, one of them being under their romantic package which included champagne, a dining credit and a couple of other things. The mansion is lovely but not grand. The feeling is that of a private home which i quite enjoy.
I agree with a former reviewer re. the location -- a bit away from the middle of things. However, what i mostly noticed was a lack of attention to details. Prior to arrival I called to make a reservation at a local restaurant and gave my name to the attendant. Usually, in finer hotels, once your name is known, it is used. MIne was not.
Actually, my last name was never used during our stay. On my birthday, we decided to use our dining credit at the hotel's restaurant. We had reservations but upon arrival at the restaurant, the staff didn't seem aware of the fact that we were hotel guests or that i would be using a dining credit. We were sat at a terrible table. I complained and was moved to a booth after waiting for about 10 minutes.
The lack of communication was obvious. Since we had the romantic package, the front desk should have made the restaurant aware and we should have been giving more attention.

In summary, if a personalized, service internsive experience is what you are looking for, I wouldn't recommend it. If such details are not essential, the accomodations are indeed lovely and you will feel right at home in a lovely Charleston mansion.

Stayed: May 2007
6  Thank ServiceFiend

Reviewed 23 March 2007

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleston. This is a magnificent inn in a 120 year old Charleston mansion. The rooms are exceptionally large, and all are unique. Ours had a king size bed, 2 separate sitting areas, a desk, a gas log fireplace and an extremely large bath wtih a 2-person shower and a jacuzzi tub for two. Complimentary wine is served every evening in the library, and a European style continental breakfast is also included. On-site parking is free. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. There is a spa and restaurant, although we didn't have an opportunity to expoerience either. The only negative is that the inn is about a 10-minute walk from Meeting Street, but through an attractive and safe neighborhood, bordering the College of Charleston. The inn is a very romantic and comfortable place to stay, and one of the best hotels that we have had the pleasure to stay in. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wpm0307
Reviewed 27 February 2007

This hotel and its staff was incredible.

I planned a surprise trip for my [then] girlfriend [and now fiance!] and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful, friendly, or supportive. I was nervous planning such an important event from afar, but they were always comforting on the phone and actually helped me make decisions. Plus, they read back and verified the comments in my file and they were actually taking notes when I was speaking in order to capture all the points! They bought roses and petals for me at a local florist, guided us with fun ideas and informed us which houses to see/skip, kept the secret the whole weekend, and encouraged me with smiles and support the whole step of the way. They did a champagne turn-down service for us which was delightful. Formed some candles in the shape of a harp and had some bubble on ice and music playing when we returned from dinner. It was so romantic. I could not have asked for better, more attentive service. Period.

The property itself is just lovely. We stayed in room 15 on the 3rd floor. It was very spacious, clean, luxurious and fairly quiet (creaky old floors). Very comfortable king bed, super smelling soaps in the bathroom, hot tub (in all rooms) and a cd/stereo. Parking was easy onsite. The hotel is a 15 min walk from Market/King streets which made it ideal for ambling around the neighborhood. Complimentary breakfast was a nice selection of fruits, breads with great service. Strong coffee.

Related: we ate at the restaurant in the hotel's stable Circa 1886 and had the best meal of our lives. Seriously. The Lamb Roast was to die for. A huge portion for any restaurant with a sauce that you will lick the plate for. Prices were very reasonable for a restaurant that good. Chocolate dessert was delicious, service was friendly, accomodating, and informative and the surroundings were intimate and warm. We were VERY pleased with that restaurant. (Closed Sundays.)

The Spa is also in the stable house and my fiance loved it. It's cool and soothing, set underground patially. Prices were reasonable for that level of service and, again, all the staff was super friendly and accomodating.

If you want to spoil yourself or a loved one, stay at the Wentwoth Mansion. It is truely an experience you will not forget.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrmatt28
Reviewed 22 January 2007

My wife and I spent the night at the Wentworth Mansion on 1/21 for our 4 year anniversary. I did a lot of research and wanted a grand bed and breakfast to spend our 1 night in Charleston. I looked into many different places but decidedon the Wentworth Mansion based on reviews and price ($275 per night). I will describe what I liked and disliked.
Location: I was not familiar with Charleston at all and didn't really look at location when I booked. I think that would have made a difference if I were to go again. The Wentworth Mansion is located a good 10-15 min walk for the shopping area (King St.) and restaurants. It is located in a slightly run down neighborhood next to the college dorms and fraternity houses. It was indeed quiet, just a tad far from all of the action. We ended up walking everywhere and it wasn't too bad. So don't expect it to be in the middle of all of the action.
Building/Room: It is a massive mansion indeed. Looks really nice from the outside and the grounds were well maintained. The lobby was nice as was the sitting area and library. The room was much more than we expected. We stayed in a Mansion Room (#20) on the fourth floor right beneath the Copola (sp?). It was a large room with a couch and a Jacuzzi tube on one side. My wife was really impressed with the size of the room. It had a king size bed which was above avg in comfort (the Adobd Grand Villa in Sedona is still my favorite). The bath room was a good size and we especially loved the shower with its dual head (provides plenty of water pressure to both sides of you). The jacuzzi was situated directly across from the T.V. which was wonderful. My only complaint about the room was that there was no DVD player (only CD player without remote) and the T.V. couldn't be pivoted to face the bed. You can't really watch T.V in bed. Otherwise, we were thoroughly happy with the room. The Copola was also very nice. We took some great pictures and really enjoyed the view.
Service: The service was wonderful. The moment we stepped out of our car, we were greeted by the bellboy who took our luggage. Check in was a breeze and they even let us check out 2 hours past the allotted time (possible cuz it was low season). The bellboy gave us a brief but thorough tour of the Mansion. My only complaint was that in the evening, we went to dinner at 82 Queen and the concierge told us to mention that we were staying at the Wentworth (implying that we would get some discount or something). However, when we got there and mentioned it, the manager stated that they had no ties to the Mansion and gave us no discount. He appologized and told us that he was going to call the Mansion and tell them not to lead their guest on. I felt a tad stupid and mentioned this to the concierge in the morning. One other thing that caught my attention was that they did not forget that it was our anniversary. They took the time to put out candles all over our room and had a chilled bottle of champagne ready when we came back from dinner. A very nice touch indeed.
Food: Breakfast was great. There was a nice selection of bread, meat (including smoked salmon) and cheeses. The one hot entree of the morning was a quiche-like item with Cheese and Turkey and it was awesome. They even had freshly baked cinnamon rolls and fresh juices. I only wished that it lasted longer than 10am. In the rooms, there was a refridgerator with sodas and water free of charge (very nice touch). My only complaint was regarding the evening wine and appetizer. I read in many different reviews that they always had freshly made appetizers that were delicious. However, when we got back that night, we found only a platter of cheeses and crackers. I was hoping for more and was kind of disappointed.

The free parking was also nice.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. The only reason we probably stay somewhere else is because of its location.

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank Saysum
Reviewed 21 January 2007

My wife, myself, and her parents had the most wonderful experience this past weekend. We love to travel and, until this experience, our favorite accommidations was the club level of the Grove Park inn, then maybe the Ritz Carlton in Maui. We have always loved the Wentworth as Well, but the staff there out did themselves more than ever before. Anything we asked for was provided quickly, and graciously starting with the bottle of wine waiting for my father- in- law upon our arrival. He only prefers one type of wine and the mansion did not have it in stalk. The innkeeper personally went out on the town, found it and had it chilling for him. It simply got better from there.

The rooms were always beautiful as we have stayed in about six or seven of them. But it seemed they have actually improved, in terms of upkeep and cleanliness. One would be challenged to even find a piece of dust on the bedroom chandeliers from the 14-16ft ceilings. simply had the best experience ever.

Brian J. Bauduin, Charlotte NC

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank disappointed22
Reviewed 24 November 2006

The Wentworth Mansion is a delight! From the well coiffed and manicured, youthful, yet highly informed, staff to the carefully chosen and maintained decor, this B & B stands head and shoulders above all the rest in Charleston.My husband and I stayed two nights prior to Thanksgiving (following a massive, early Thanksgiving family reunion in Williamsburg) during a howling nor'easter. The ambiance of a fireplace to chase away the chill, floor to ceiling draperies to close or open as the dreary weather dictated, and an opulent king bedded room were all we needed to relax, rest, and recoup. As if that weren't enough, the spacious marble tiled bathroom had a wonderfully large jacuzzi tub that was just the ticket for the ultimate bath. Because we made last minute reservations online, we got a great rate..but had to move to a second room on the second night...what a bonus! We had an incredibly huge 'mansion' room the first night (around 600 s.f.)and a stylish, beautifully furnished, but slightly smaller (maybe by 100 s.f.), East Wing room on the second night. I would return to either room!
The nearby restaurant, 1886, is one of the most accomodating we have ever dined. (see separate review).
We will return OFTEN!
Minor sniggle: wi-fi was spotty...could have been due to the storm...

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pam C
Reviewed 21 November 2006

From the moment we stepped into this beautiful late 18th century mansion we were treated as valued guests and family. Bob Seidler (Manager/owner) & Margaret (concierge) gave my husband & I a tour of the grand home which made us feel right at home. They encouraged exploration of the mansion with it's many features including the roof top observation deck (a sight to see). This was our first visit to Charleston, we had a wonderful time and were spoiled by all the features of the Wentworth. Everything was lovely from it's spacious rooms to the wonderful daybeds and the sumptuous baths to the wonderful breakfasts in bed or downstairs in the dining area on fine china...our experience was awesome. After observing several other bed & breakfasts along with other hotel properties we were extremely satisfied with our decision to stay at the Wentworth. We highly recomend the Wentworth Mansion a bit expensive but worth it, we loved the whole experience!

Catherine & Blakeley