“Spend Your Time Elsewhere”
Review of Market Square

Market Square
Ranked #37 of 243 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: An outdoor flea market, great for browsing.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was very disappointed when I returned to Market Square after recalling fond memories of visiting there in yesteryear. There were some quality vendors but the majority couldn't compete with my local mall. There are so many other exquisite places in Charleston.....go elsewhere.

1  Thank canoecatz
There are newer reviews for Market Square

Reviewed 12 May 2014

While were amazed at the lovely crafts you can buy (although the sweetgrass basket-makers have priced their wares into the stratosphere!) I was diappointed to see the blatant vendors selling things I can buy at the mall! Why for example would I buy a Michael Kors wristwatch here when I can buy it at a real jewellery shop? Price was the same! It smacks of "we have people spending money here so let's make the most of it"... And why was there a reflexologist displaying her pamphlets? It isn;t the kind of thing I expect to see at a market in historical Charleston. A walk along the Battery was much more rewarding!

1  Thank Michaela04
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Sure, it's touristy, but the City Market also has a great glimpse of local artisans, ranging from sculptors and sweet grass weavers to wood workers and painters. For an out-of-towner, this was a great place for souvenirs as well as meeting and chatting with local artists.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Lots of vendors and variety of "stuff". Sweetgrass baskets everywhere along with local artists' ware. Fun to stroll through even if you don't buy. On the streets surrounding the markets are lots of other shops and galleries along with a wide variety of restaurants. Fun to just stroll through and get the flavor of the city - even if you don't buy!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I like Market Square because of the variety of local artists crafts, (especially the gullah baskets) and the prices aren't too bad either, in comparison to the high end boutiques and for similiar clothing, scarves, etc that I can find at home.

I also like the historic value of these buildings along Market Street, and the location is central for most of the hotels. It was an easy walk for us and albeit the fact that it is mainly a tourist attraction, it was still worth it to us for shopping and spending time out and about in Charleston. While I also enjoyed shopping some of the stores and boutiques on King Street, this was a not to miss attraction for us and we did buy a few things for people back home.

We definitely recommend a visit while in Charleston.

1  Thank deecee727