“No. 4 Unity Alley B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
A Bed and Breakfast at 4 Unity Alley
Ranked #27 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very nice accommodations. We had one of the two spacious rooms above the garage area.
Large A/C room with a jacuzzi tub.
The public areas are nicely furnished.
Breakfast was good.
Excellent location
Not inexpensive.
Highly recommended.
(Unity alley is very narrow. You won't be able to get a large car or van in.)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irablock

Reviewed 11 April 2013

This place was the highlight of my tour through Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. It only has 4 rooms, and I was lucky enough to stay in the largest of them... complete with a huge sitting area housing two sofas, sitting chairs, a fireplace, and lots of good books on the shelves. The four post King rice bed made me really feel that I was sleeping in old Charleston, and the large private bathroom had a truly huge jetted tub, separate walk-in shower, and vaulted ceiling with skylight.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the high quality of the homemade food each morning at breakfast, beautifully presented on Lenox China, cut crystal, and sterling silverware (yes, I flipped them over to check). On my three mornings, I enjoyed eggs Benedict, a breakfast casserole, and waffles...always accompanied by rolls, fresh fruit, orange juice, and piping hot coffee.

The location is UNBELIEVABLE, allowing me to walk ONE BLOCK over to the beautiful waterfront park each morning for sunrise over Fort Sumter and the harbor. Most of the city's best restaurants are within a 5-10 minute walk, as is the ferry landing, the College of Charleston, the best museums, and the best shops and galleries. Eat a meal at S.N.O.B. on East Bay.

Be certain to study a map before driving in, though. The location is excellent, but the alley is very well-hidden and the Inn has absolutely zero signage whatsoever. You'll never find it without a map, but once you do you'll realize how well you've chosen.

It was wonderful to begin and end each day walking a very short distance to the residential area south of Broad, where my Zillow searches indicated an average listing price of $2MM, with one property listed at $4MM and another at $6MM. You'll feel very privileged, indeed. I stumbled upon The Calhoun Mansion at 16 Meeting Street completely by accident, and was thrilled to discover that they provide tours. DON'T MISS THIS. It's a truly unbelievable display of wealth. Also, be certain to see the one home on East Battery that's open for tours. I was able to purchase a combo ticket there that also permitted entry to Middleton Place plantation...which is well worth the 30 minute drive to see.

Room Tip: Ask for the room above the Living Room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights last week and had a nice time, overall. The location is excellent, everything is walking distance. We had a large room, and our breakfasts were pretty good. The owner isn't the friendliest guy, not rude by any means but it almost seems like he's in the wrong line of work. Beside that, we had a good time. I'd probably go back just for the location alone!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 866KathleenG
Reviewed 20 March 2013

A great location, tucked away in the heart of Charleston within walking distance of everything. The decor was a pleasing mix of eclectic to modern and everything in between. Very nice breakfasts, service was great, accomodations were comfortable, clean, and having covered/indoor parking was a great plus. The only possible draw back to this place is the alley in which you must drive through in order to get to it. But once you are there, you never really have to drive anywhere as you are right in the heart of everything.

Room Tip: Two rooms are in the main house - the access the other 2 rooms over the carriage house you cross an...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tsquared40
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Booked a room with a friend on a last minute decision to stay in Charleston after a funeral on a Saturday night. You can not find a better location in Charleston. Great garage to stash your car while finding wonderful sights and restaurants within walking distance. Donald, the owner, is delightfully grumpy,and will engage you with entertaining stories but gives you the privacy you need to feel at home. John cooked and served us a delicious breakfast and was attentive and charming. Beautiful Inn ,I loved the mix of Antiques and Modern art. Rooms clean, comfy, and spacious with modern bath. All in all a lovely experiance. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank 208Mag55
Reviewed 19 January 2013

On our first trip to Charleston we wanted to have a B&B experience so we chose 4 Unity Alley.
This fabulous establishment exceeded our expectations. Our 3 day stay at 4 Unity Alley was at the end of our 2 week honeymoon. This stunning, eclectic B&B was quiet and clean. The Owner Donald and The Manager John were attentive and helpful. Such wonderful hosts. When staying here you must make sure you take advantage of Linda's breakfast. Totally worth the price of admission! She was so pleasant and hospitable and makes THE BEST coffee!
We can't wait to return and highly recommend this B&B.

Brigid and George Stasen

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brigid B
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great hospitality that made our stay very memorable. This was my wife's birthday trip and the management made it very special by serving BDay cake the breakfast of her special day. My friends and I had many wonderful conversations with John, manager and artist (metal/wood sculpture). He recommended several great restaurants (that proved to be excellent) and other important tourist info that maximized our experience. We also met and enjoyed the company of the other guests. The breakfasts were huge and very tasty. They were different every day. In addition to the personal touches, the location is quite possibly the best in Charleston; literally a few steps from the heart of the city's entertainment. We loved Charleston and plan to visit often and will always stay at 4 Unity Alley B&B.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends