“Best Place to stay in Charleston”

The Governor's House Inn
Ranked #2 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
belvidere
“Best Place to stay in Charleston”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Last September we escaped with some friends to Charleston. After checking out Bed and Breakfast Inns on Trip Advisor I chose The Governor's House Inn for our three day stay.

We were thrilled with my choice! From the moment the four of us entered the beautiful house we all were overwhelmed with its beauty and Southern charm. We booked the two lower level rooms off of the terrace. They were outstanding!!! Beautifully decorated and very clean.

Each day we had a delicious breakfast with several options. After touring during the day we came "home" to a wonderful afternoon snack and drink. The inn keepers were attentive and gracious.

We have recommended this inn to many friends and will certainly stay at The Governor's House Inn whenever we return to Charleston. FIVE STARS!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elaine d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The building itself is so gracious in appearance. The public porch is a super place to sit and relax with a glass of wine and meet new friends. The main floor is beautiful with the dark wood curved staircase leading to the second floor rooms. Our room, the Middleton Suite, was very large with easy entry onto the huge second floor porch for wine and cheese with our five friends. The third floor rooms were rather small and confining. The three owners hire staff to take care of the guests. Our greeters were two young and friendly fellows who settled us in. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. It seemed that each morning we had different folks serving us with one older woman interrupting our conversation in order to do her job. I thought she could have been a bit more tactful and patient. The Inn is fairly close to most Charleston restaurants and the waterfront. Don't miss a Rickshaw ride to or from your dinner restaurant. We recommend the Governors House Inn to anyone planning a trip to Charleston.

Room Tip: Don't reserve a third floor room. The Middleton Suite is a wonderful room with access to the lar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We just spent three beautiful days in Charleston and loved our stay in the historic home. We had the Independence room on the second floor, which was on the main street (Broad) but traffic noise was minimal at night. The location was just perfect for us. We were able to park on their site and walked almost everywhere which was good, since downtown parking was difficult at best. Our breakfast was good, the staff as well and the afternoon tea also good the day we were there to enjoy it. We had no complaints at all and the neighborhood felt safe to walk at night and was fairly well lit.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The GOvernor's House Inn is a picture perfect place to stay in Charleston. We spent three nights and enjoyed our stay immensely. Our room was smallish but perfectly furnished for the period. The side porch was a great place to read and relax. The public areas inside were pleasant, and the breakfasts were extremely good. The location is good--there is so much to see and do withing walking distance, and parking is provided on-site. I'd recommend the Governor's House Inn to anyone visiting Charleston and wanting more than a cookie-cutter room.

Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed four nights in the most expensive room. Only saw innkeeper the last morning. The rest of the time the inn was manned by some very nice but inexperienced young people. Consider that the inn's printer needed ink because it was was printing very faintly. This resulted in very hard to read directions to restaurants, the airport and one's itinerary etc.Three days passed and although I mentioned the problem several times, no one could make a decision to buy a new cartridge. One staff member suggested I print out my boarding passes at Staples.

When asked about places to visit and dine, one had the feeling that the staff had never been to the place in question.For example, I asked about the 82 Queen St. restaurant and was repeatedly told that it had "good she crab soup" but no other information could be provided.

I provided feedback to the inn keeper on the last morning and she stated that "everyone needed a little time off". Later she called and left a message expressing that she was sorry our experience had not been better, had spoken to some of the staff, and that she had been thinking of hiring an assistant inn keeper.

We were somewhat disappointed in our stay in part because we compared and contrasted this Inn with the Hamilton-Turner Inn in Savannah and Rhett Inn in Beaufort where we had stayed earlier in the week. Both cost less, but had much more of the personal touch one expects in Inns of this caliber, in the Select Registry, and price range.

The location of the Inn is ideal, the setting is lovely, and the inn itself has much to offer so there is nothing here that cannot be remediated. It just seems this inn is going through the motions and living off it's fabulous location in a fabulous city.

4 Thank PA-InnTraveler
ManagerGHI, Manager at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Sir,
I again apologize and am sorry you felt the need to write this about our lovely inn. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your review. All of my innkeepers are mid 20’s and older and each day of your stay for several hours there were very experienced innkeepers here age 40 and older and the young lady that you mainly speak of has worked in 2 other high end inn establishments here and in Michigan where she is from. As for her informing you about 82 Queen, she actually has not been there and was telling you the feedback she had received from other guests and primarily it is that they have excellent she crab soup. She has been to many other restaurants in the area however and I apologize that she could not give you a firsthand more detailed review of this particular restaurant. As for my absence, I was only officially not here for one full day during your stay and am very sorry I did not see you until Monday morning. I imagine as a visitor to our lovely city you were out much of the time. In no way did I mean to be flippant about having to take time away from the inn but meant it as a candid reply. As soon as our conversation ended I printed something out on our printer and the ink was very clear and the cartridge had not been changed as I asked the innkeeper if she had changed it, she said she did not and was a bit puzzled as to why you thought it needed changed.
I did leave you a message and what is omitted from this review and the main point I wanted to make was to apologize once again and to discuss a few options that would improve your stay or alleviate any disappointments. I asked you to return my call to discuss it and was saddened that I did not hear from you.
To conclude my response to you, I, in all honesty feel you just had a miscommunication with a very good staff member as is human nature sometimes. I certainly hope all of your future travels serve you well.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Spent one night here while in Charleston and loved everything about it. The actual house is clean and beautiful. Our room was exactly what you're looking for in a Southern B&B, charming, transitional and grand. Breakfast was delicious and staff was very friendly and hospitable. Location cannot be beat...you're 3 blocks from the center of the historic district.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mkloko
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for just one night, but it was wonderful. The location on Board leaves you right in the center of Historic Charleston. We did a few of the tours during the Homes & Garden festival; all within minutes of this B&B. Breakfast was delicious, and served within minutes of us seating ourselves. Friendly conversation with the other guests. Plenty of parking. Spacious side porch for afternoon people watching.
There is a friendly cat named Nu that makes himself at home in and around the guests room. We did not mind at all, but those with allergies should be careful.
We were in the room at the front of the house, which left us under a staircase and right off the dining room, which at moments could be a little loud, but nothing to ruin sleep.
I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends