“Lovely. Classic Charleston, all the way.”

The Governor's House Inn
Ranked #2 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Lovely. Classic Charleston, all the way.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am a repeat visitor to Charleston and I believe that the right accommodations can make a world of difference, especially in a city so elegant and charming. I love this inn because it exudes exactly the kind of luxury and hospitality you hope to find here. We were greeted graciously by the friendly management, and ushered to our room--just beautiful. We were provided with great tips on the sites, restaurants, and some "out of the way" places of special interest. Returning to the inn always felt like we were returning home, to our own little pied a terre in Charleston!
Must point out that the inn's location is smack in the heart of Charleston's grandest neighborhood!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LuvtheSouth2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I always choose B&Bs based on their awards & high rated reviews. Not sure how this one got such high marks. We stayed in the detached upper room of the kitchen house. First appearances are great but experiencing 3 nights is not especially pleasing for the price. I have stayed at lots of B&Bs all over the eastern United States so I know what a 4-5 star B&B should provide. This was our experience.....too many plumbing problems with room, constant urine smell in room, & not much effort put into breakfast & I cannot give a high rating for other travelers. What I saw of the main house was wonderful (again at first glance). I will not stay there again & I will be returning to Charleston because it's truly a wonderful city but I hope I pick better next time.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BreLee69
ManagerGHI, Manager at The Governor's House Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
First of all I would like all past and future guests to understand that the owners and I take all reviews very seriously. This type of review is discussed and analyzed and a strong effort is put forth to alleviate issues for ANYONE that may leave our property feeling dissatisfied.

So in response, you did report a clogged sink which was given to maintenance and it was repaired soon after. Unfortunately we could not foresee this issue but we do our best to fix any problem as quickly as possible.

No issue of an odor was reported and if it was we would have made every effort to find the source and eliminate it.

I’m fairly certain the breakfast that was served the mornings you were here was a roasted vegetable quiche with homemade bread and crème brulee French toast and bacon both with fresh fruit. While one may not have enjoyed the crème brulee French toast another guest asked for a copy of the recipe. We have many breakfast items to accommodate any taste. In training the server is taught to keep an eye on the guest, always ask if their breakfast is to their liking and if it appears that they’re not enjoying their dish to offer another option that we are happy to prepare. We always have granola, raisin bran, corn flakes as well as steel cut oatmeal we top with fruit and or pecans or walnuts and cinnamon (toppings all optional), grits we make with cream and cheese as well if you prefer, we can do a piled high vanilla yogurt parfait with any side option available such as sausage or bacon, a homemade sweet bread or muffin or toast. We always keep a variety of high quality jam on hand. We can also prepare pancakes (plain, banana or blueberry) with warm syrup or a fresh waffle topped with fruit and definitely will scramble or fry eggs or egg whites with fillers such as cheese or veggies. This week the farmers markets are going strong where I picked up fresh peaches and ripe red strawberries for breakfast. Other dishes that we make fresh daily that are very popular are a Ham and cheddar bake (our version of the French croque monsieur) most often served with fresh asparagus and fruit as well as blueberry strata with cream cheese and a blueberry sauce and a vegetable frittata often topped with hollandaise or fresh tomato and basil marinated in a balsamic Dijon vinaigrette. So these are just a few entrees we do often and guests love. I am very sorry you did not request something that you would have enjoyed.

Finally, it is my personal practice upon the guest’s departure to ask “how was everything”? Or “did you enjoy your stay”? This is a sincere question so as to acknowledge and respond to ANY criticisms or suggestions a guest may have kept to him or herself or were out and about and didn’t have the opportunity to voice it. Also, that they know that they are heard and appreciated. I so wish you would have spoken up so I could’ve offered you something to compensate for the discomfort you felt.

Again future and past guests please feel free to contact Management if you have ANY issues. I will personally see to it that it is handled swiftly and appropriately. Angela
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very beautiful and historic building and grounds make for a relaxing stay at a very hospitable B&B. On the other hand, the breakfasts were very average and the TV's were nearly impossible to see even if standing 3 feet away. Old tube-types and very small screens. Great location. Nice wine and cheese served every evening. Bed was a little soft and shaky. Stay in downstair rooms...upstairs very hard to negotiate with no elevator.

1 Thank Golfman44
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Governor's House Inn for three nights recently while in Charleston for a wedding. I have to say that many of the historic inns in Charleston are not what they used to be. However, the Governor's House remains one of the best around. From the minute we arrived the innkeeper, who I believe is named Angela, treated us just like we were in her own home. The room was very tidy, as were the common areas. Our beds were very comfortable and the room was much quieter than I expected in an urban setting. Each morning our breakfast was promptly served savory and fresh. When we asked for help making dinner reservations, the innkeeper (Angela?) found us a wonderful last minute spot just to our liking. She knew many of the local places and could tell us just what to order off each menu. Our dinner at FIG was fantastic...all thanks to some great recommendations. The rest of the staff, while not quite as experienced as the innkeeper, was very polite and efficient. They knew some of the newer spots around town. The afternoon tea service was of the highest quality with some of the best canapés I've had, and the wine was also quite good compared to what I have had elsewhere. Honestly, I wish I could live at the Governor's House Inn as I've never felt so welcome!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms overlooking the gardens as it will be a bit more private.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brad W
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We came upon this B&B through the wonderful folks at the Mt Pleasant Visitors Center, just under the bridge before you cross over into Charleston proper. We didn't have a reservation anywhere, wanted to be downtown, and prefered a B&B. The Visitors Center folks checked their master database, called Govs House Inn to confirm availability and price, and were able to book our reservation right there. Over the bridge into Charleston we went, and arrived just at the Inn just a few minutes later. Inn is very well located on Broad St, offers free off street parking in a lovely courtyard, beautiful furnishings, and a very professional staff. We arrived just in time for the Inn's daily complimentary 4 o'clock "tea" - including wine and munchies - enjoyed on their capacious porch, with plenty of wicker and rocking chair seating. The very capable staff warmly welcomed us, gave us a quick tour of the beautiful common rooms and then helped us get our bags to our beautifully furnished room. The staff is mostly very young, but don't be fooled into thinking they're not experienced - many of them are graduates of the College of Charleston's hospitality program, and are very well trained - polite, capable, helpful, professional. Great to see young people working so successfully. Delicious hot breakfast served daily in the Inn's georgous dining room - newspapers, tea, coffee, fresh juices as accompaniments. Communal dining at an exquisitely set table, where we got to meet several of the other guests and share stories. Our car never left its original parking space once - walked everywhere, from College of Charleston to the King/Market/Bay street neighborhoods. Originally planned to only be there one night, but chose to stay a second and so glad we did. the price of this inn included a great room with private bath, beautiful linens, free parking, hot breakfast, afternoon team, warm cookies in the foyer at night, and an able staff that is pleased to help you enjoy the Charleston experience. Unless you absolutley have to be at one, I'd skip the hotels and get to know this town through this type of warm and wonderful experience. Thank you to the Inn's staff for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank D W
belvidere
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Last September we escaped with some friends to Charleston. After checking out Bed and Breakfast Inns on Trip Advisor I chose The Governor's House Inn for our three day stay.

We were thrilled with my choice! From the moment the four of us entered the beautiful house we all were overwhelmed with its beauty and Southern charm. We booked the two lower level rooms off of the terrace. They were outstanding!!! Beautifully decorated and very clean.

Each day we had a delicious breakfast with several options. After touring during the day we came "home" to a wonderful afternoon snack and drink. The inn keepers were attentive and gracious.

We have recommended this inn to many friends and will certainly stay at The Governor's House Inn whenever we return to Charleston. FIVE STARS!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elaine d
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The building itself is so gracious in appearance. The public porch is a super place to sit and relax with a glass of wine and meet new friends. The main floor is beautiful with the dark wood curved staircase leading to the second floor rooms. Our room, the Middleton Suite, was very large with easy entry onto the huge second floor porch for wine and cheese with our five friends. The third floor rooms were rather small and confining. The three owners hire staff to take care of the guests. Our greeters were two young and friendly fellows who settled us in. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. It seemed that each morning we had different folks serving us with one older woman interrupting our conversation in order to do her job. I thought she could have been a bit more tactful and patient. The Inn is fairly close to most Charleston restaurants and the waterfront. Don't miss a Rickshaw ride to or from your dinner restaurant. We recommend the Governors House Inn to anyone planning a trip to Charleston.

Room Tip: Don't reserve a third floor room. The Middleton Suite is a wonderful room with access to the lar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends