“What a marvelous experience!”

The Governor's House Inn
Ranked #4 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Fremont, California
“What a marvelous experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2006

My wife & I have stayed at a lot of B & B's around this country & Europe and The Governors's House Inn is by far the best. The house & guest rooms are just beautiful and are impecably maintained. The maid even hand combed the fringe on the carpet. The hospitality is perfect old south charm. The breakfasts measured up to the rest of the experience. Don't miss it if you are going to Charleston.

• Liked — Beautiful facility, well run and cared for. Superb service.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank rchaprave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2006

I was extremely fortunate to get a fabulous rate that would allow me to experience the excellent room, service, and breakfasts that The Governor's House Inn provides. Catherine (sp?) got my trip off to a pleasant start two weeks before I even began my vacation by providing an experience beyond that I've had during booking my room over the phone. She was sincerely helpful - offering to book any tours I may want ahead of my arrival and more.

Upon arrival, Leslie welcomed me like I was a much awaited guest, immediately offering me a glass of passion-fruit iced tea and the powder room while she ran my check-in through. Once completed, she gave me a quick tour - nothing overwhelming - of the first floor common areas before showing me to my room on the third floor.

The room was beyond expectations! I never wanted to leave - I'd be happy living there year round. I was situated in the St. Michael's Room which has one window looking out to the St. Michael's spire and another to the beautiful parking area (believe it or not!) and a residence behind the inn. The decor was simple and elegant - not lacy or too 'girly' - done up in warm yellow tones with palm print and bamboo accents upon pillows, lamps, and the bathroom walls.

Space was ample, with a small entryway, full bath/shower, closet, a window seat, built in desk, 2 comfy wing chairs, 2 night stands, and a small tv table (which I used only about 2 hours my entire stay). The bed was queen size and was the perfect firmness. And, I totally want the sheets (beautiful).

I mentioned the food... included in your stay is a "southern" continental breakfast and afternoon tea and pastries. Let's just say I've never had a continental breakfast like these. The first morning was a rich french toast strata, the next a spinach quiche, and finally on my day of departure another french toast strata. Each was served with a delicious fresh mix of fruit and lightly pecan flavoured coffee.

Around 4:30pm the Inn sets up tea and pastries. A wonderful selection of teas but, most deliciously, an array of fresh made treats including cakes, cookies, crackers and more. Unfortunately I missed the last afternoon - which I do regret a bit! (Though, my hips may appreciate it.)

All of the staff - Linda, Mary, Christie, Katie, and most of all the owner, Karen - were the most pleasant people I've known in the hotel industry.

Though it was only my first trip to Charleston, I can confidently say that The Governor's House Inn has got to be the best stay in town. If you're looking for a small inn with personalized service, check this one out. If I am fortunate enough to visit Charleston again, I will spare no expense in returning to this establishment.

• Liked — The staff and the food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — If you're someone who prefers to book online, don't miss out on this gem - call!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
4 Thank elusivone
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2006

This inn is an absolute jewel. For one thing, I love history and even by Charleston standards Governor’s House has an incredible past. Just google Edward Rutledge if you are so inclined. What sets this inn apart is the atmosphere, which is a combination of southern grace, beautiful décor and excellent personal touches from the staff. We loved our suite in the carriage house, named for “the” Thomas Jefferson with whom Rutledge corresponded. We were sufficiently secluded to feel like we had the place to ourselves, but never too far from the inn’s main mansion when we needed it. This room had a queen poster bed but we had no complaints. We loved our living room and porch. The innkeepers made it their mission to take care of us while we explored the city, especially with some excellent dining suggestions that included The Oak, Ansons and Slightly North of Broad. Since everyone has different tastes, it is possible the some people might prefer a larger hotel, but they would never receive the same level of TLC so I can’t imagine anyone would be disappointed at this inn. In my opinion it is in a class of its own.

• Liked — Beautiful surroundings, very comfortable, great staff
  • Disliked — I was not disappointed in any way
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank lorrysplays
Marina del Rey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2006

This Inn was the perfect remedy for us (2 stressed out Atlanta newlyweds). We needed to get out of town, wanted to stay somewhere quaint and quiet, and we liked the sound of the reviews on this site. We were thrilled when we realized that our little getaway was going to be romantic and relaxing and so much more than we hoped for. It was the perfect fix for a couple of overworked Atlantans.

When we arrived we were greeted by Leslie, quite possible the sweetest Southern young lady in South Carolina. She gave us a tour of the home and let us in on the history after serving us fresh peach iced tea. Since the trip was spur of the moment, she also secured dinner reservations for us at Slightly North of Broad (great lump crab cakes!) at the last minute.

Our room, the Laurens Room, was quite spacious, very clean, and had gorgeous triple hung windows that opened onto a large porch. We loved the porch! We even had breakfast served out there on our last morning. The breakfast was okay the first day (quiche and fruit) but the second day it was amazing (a pineapple upside down french toast - see pics!). Bathrooms are usually a low point in B&Bs, but here the bathroom was nicely remodeled with a stone shower and glass doors. And from what we heard it was the smallest so we can't wait to stay in another room at the Inn. The Inn had bath robes for us which we took advantage of as much as possible.

There are several small touches that make this place special - teas in the afternoon and drinks in the evening were two we wished we had made time for. We did enjoy the little seating areas all over the property where we could enjoy some peaceful relaxation. One evening after dinner we sat and read books from one of the many bookshelves in the house. The best part was we were never disturbed. Even though all but one of the rooms had been booked, it felt like we had the place to ourselves!

Charleston Historic District is perfect for walking around. The Inn is only a block from King Street where all the shopping is, and only a few more blocks to East Bay, where we ate our dinners (you must go to Magnolia's and try the fried green tomatoes!!). We parked our car the first day and did not use it again until we left town. We also booked some spa time at the Spa at Charleston Place Hotel, which was only about 5 blocks away. Although the Spa was nice, CPH was nothing special and we were delighted that we made the best choice and picked the Governor's House Inn instead. The Inn has so much character. It will surely be a place we return to as soon as we can getaway from Atlanta again!

• Stayed July 2006
11 Thank TheSunBear
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2006

I’ll start with an overall impression. My wife and I were thrilled with our stay at the Governor’s House, a very fine inn which we would enthusiastically recommend for any number of reasons. I’ll get to the positives in a minute, after a comment or two. Yes, this is the perfect atmosphere for couples or small groups on vacation, but if you are in Charleston purely for business, you will be in the minority at this inn. Everyone we met was there for pleasure, including a couple of honeymooners. Not a problem for us, but not like a big hotel. The inn does provide wireless access throughout (no charge) so I was able to can connect with the office. Also, if you prefer a large bathroom, be sure to ask when you make your reservation. The inn was originally a pre-revolutionary mansion from the 1700s (yes it truly was the “governor’s house”) and it has been brilliantly updated, which means one or two of the bathrooms had to be created from available space. Our room, although quite luxurious, had a smallish bathroom. In fairness, other guests told us their baths were very spacious, so just ask when you reserve. All in all, we found the situation totally acceptable because of other tradeoffs, including a huge veranda just outside our room, great food, and a very solicitous staff that really shined when it mattered. I especially liked our location, which places it pretty much in between the city’s old battery and the best shopping and restaurants. We felt this was the most romantic part of historic Charleston. The Governor’s House is really quite a place…it is so lovely we often found ourselves just enjoying our down time by sitting around like royalty.

• Stayed May 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2006

The Governor's House Inn, Charleston South Carolina

After months of research, my husband and I decided on The Governor's House Inn
to spend our 26th anniversary. We were not disappointed. It exceeded all of our
expectations and we have high expectations. We have stayed in a number of B & B's
throughout the United States and none of them compared to The Governor's House Inn.
We had such a wonderful time, I'm planning to return in the fall for the candlelight tour of homes with my girlfriends. No need to research any further, pick The Governor's House Inn and you won't be disappointed.

10 Thank DeboKeller
Calfornia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2006

OK, I've stayed in countless hotels and B&Bs and this one is the creme de la creme! It really doesn't get any better than this. Karen Spell Shaw does an outstanding job of innkeeping here; I have no idea how she does it. It may help that her parents own 2 Meeting Street, and she got some training there. Her staff are, to a one, terrific. The rooms are not cheap (ours was about $500 a night, including tax), but honestly, it's worth every penny. I've NEVER had better service anywhere. These people are the best! We stayed in the Kitchen House, which is actually the building behind the gracious manse. It belies its humble usage in the past, and has been gloriously and thoroughly remodelled and decorated. The downstairs (where my parents stayed) is great for a couple that doesn't want to climb a lot of stairs, and very quiet, large and lovely. It has it's own veranda & you can see the original 200-year old brick oven here.. The upstairs (where my daughter and I stayed) is terrific, and large, and has it's own screened-in porch on the 2nd floor. We sat out there during a fantastic thunderstorm 2 weeks ago! (We don't have anything like that in the Bay Area.) The breakfasts they served were glorious, Low-Country, diet-bustin' masterpieces, and they are happy to make and serve you something else if you don't like that day's selection. Afternoon snacks, cakes, and goodies are served in gracious Southern style at 4:30PM. The main house is decorated beautifully -- it's as it you are guests of a very discerning antique collector, who trusts you implicitly with their glorious furnishings, carpets, and decor. My highest recommendations, all around!

• Stayed April 2006